3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on broadhead choice  (Read 1432 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on broadhead choice
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm trying to decide on a broadhead for my carbon arrows that I plan to shoot in my ACS-CX.  My bow is 52# @ 28".  I draw 28-1/2" and shoot a 30" BOP arrow.  I will be using a Beman MFX Classic 400 shaft with 3-GPI weight tube.  Finished arrow weight with 125gr point is 540 grains.  I am considering using a replaceable blade broadhead and would like some suggestions.  Currently I am considering the 125gr Rocky Mountain heads.  Also, would like to hear what arrow broadhead other folks are using in their ACS-CX bows.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on broadhead choice
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
I'd seriously consider the Magnus Stinger in 4 blade model to maximize your bows power.

The Rocky Mountain heads will work but create resistance which doesn't help penetration.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I'd seriously consider the Magnus Stinger in 4 blade model to maximize your bows power.

The Rocky Mountain heads will work but create resistance which doesn't help penetration.
Charlie, Thanks for your input.  I surely value what someone with your experience has to say.  Is there a replaceable blade head that will perform with the magnus?  I was hoping to get a head that required no sharpening without having to compromise performance.  I haven't chrono'd my bow with the 540 gr arrows, but I am expecting around 180fps.  It has shot lighter arrows in the 190's.  I can also remove the weight tubes to increase speed.  How do I determine the best arrow/broadhead combo for bigger deer?  I will be hunting in Illinois the first week of November and expect to see some bucks a 100 lbs heavier than what we have in Alabama.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
The Magnus Stinger is a replacable blade head
  Stinger

Another good choice would be a Razorcap
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
eagle,

You know you can buy replacement blades for the Stinger.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
The Stinger is a great head. All of the parts are replaceable, the main blade and the bleeders. AND, even for us sharpening impaired people, a few very light swipes with an AccuSharp will get them back ready for surgery.

That reminds me Charlie, you still have one of mine that I "misplaced" at the Sweat last year!  :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
Thanks.  I did not realize the primary blades were replaceable.  Are they razor sharp and require no honing out of the package?  I have been shooting the 2 blade Magnus, but I sharpen them before I hunt with them.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
I shoot an ACS-CX 51 lbs at 28 and draw 29 with a 30 inch arrow.  I think you'll find .400 deflection too stiff with a 125 gr head.  I think you'll need 200 grs.  Get rid of those weight tubes.  I'm blasting through whitetails (200 lbs plus)with a 160 gr Snuffer at 460 grs.  

I have some .500 Maximas that fly pretty good with 200 grs up front.  I'm assuming that the classic 400 means .400 deflection.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline crosseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
just get an accu-sharp sharpener and you'll never worry about sharpening again.  it makes stingers, zwickeys, and bear razorheads super sharp for me...nothing to do but swipe it across the blades a few times.  they cost about$10.

stan

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Razorcap
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Another fan of the stingers.   :thumbsup:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Stingers absolutely are wicked sharp right out of the pack.  But they are also very easy to re-sharpen if you dull them.  Both the main and bleeder blades can be replaced if you're so inclined.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
stingers are great I got some nice scares from one.  :)  long story, but lets just say I will be more careful in the future.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
2 Nd the Razor Caps.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I,m pretty sure your gonna be on the stiff side useing 125gr up front.I'd personally loose the weight tube and shoot 200-250 up front you'll get the same wieght with more FOC and a better fling arrow.Did you bare shaft??

As for which head,which ever one you feel confident in and can get sharp.Not all stingers are sharp out of the package by the way I,ve got a bunch of them and most were very good but not all where hair poppin sharp and that includes the bleeder blade,s double check before assumeing
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
The 400's are grouping the same bare shaft or fletched with 125gr field tips.  Keep in mind the riser is cut almost center shot on the ACS-CX and I'm shooting a 30" arrow.  It also shoots Carbon Express CX250's w/125gr.  Gold Tip 55/75 are on the verge of not stiff enough, but do pretty good with 125gr.  I've found the Adcock bow not to be extremely finicky about the spine.  Too weak shows up much more than too stiff in my testing.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Cool,my set up is 58#@28 draw 28 with ics400 29.5" 200 is pretty good and I wanted 250 so I had to pad the side a little to get what I wanted since I didn,t wanna cut them down.If I shoota low NP and use a shaved pc of coordova on the side I can get 125 up front to fly but I almost think it,s bounceing off the shelf a little.Still shot 125gr phantom heads just fine but I like my homemade 250 gr heads too.So far either wieght arrow blows right thru a deer.With some luck I,ll be able to shoot the same arrows when my ACS finally comes which shouldn,t be to long now.

Incase ya wanna know NP is 5/16 for the 125 and just shy of 1/2 with the 250 and I did check bare shafts.Also the side plate was adjusted in each case.Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
If you really want a replaceable blade head why not use the original Muzzy? It was designed by John Musshacia who only hunted with a recurve. Lots of trad guys use the Muzzy with excellent results.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Try simmons sharks, you will be glad you did.Jonesy

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by eagle24:
I'm trying to decide on a broadhead for my carbon arrows that I plan to shoot in my ACS-CX.  My bow is 52# @ 28".  I draw 28-1/2" and shoot a 30" BOP arrow.  I will be using a Beman MFX Classic 400 shaft with 3-GPI weight tube.  Finished arrow weight with 125gr point is 540 grains.  I am considering using a replaceable blade broadhead and would like some suggestions.  Currently I am considering the 125gr Rocky Mountain heads.  Also, would like to hear what arrow broadhead other folks are using in their ACS-CX bows.
Frankly the head you use and the bow are 100% irrelevant.  I like the 3 and 4 head Muzzy's.  Hard to beat IMHO.  I have taken game with the 100, 125 and 145 grain heads.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©