3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog huntn setup  (Read 395 times)

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog huntn setup
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
Aye everbody!!!  Ive posted b4 bout my set up n finally found arrows that shoot well.  I shot a lil 100lb.  buck and had a complete pass through.  But now in january we are gona go on a hog hunt.  Im shooting the Dyna-bow by humbing bird archery.  Its 54lbs at 28ins with epic 600s at full length with 125 grains 2 blade magnus broadheads.  My concern is that due to the fact that my draw length is only 24ins. im only shootn about 44lbs.  Would this be enough for hogs???  Ive heard they have tough caratledge around the front of their chest cavity and am quite concerned.  Can anyone give me some advice??

Hunter Smith.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog huntn setup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Low and tight to the elbow and a sharp head should do the job well.  Just remember that they carry thier vitals lower and forward from a white tail.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
You might be shooting even less than 44#'s if you're only drawing 24".....and you're shooting an extremely light arrow!

If you can't shoot more poundage, I would advise to at least bump your arrow weight up...A LOT!  Also a high "FOC" arrow will help....

The thing with hog hunting, you never know what might show up...a 30#'er or a 300#'er....and boars are way harder to shoot thru than sows...

Good Luck and let us know how you make out...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
IMO..what Guru has said is perfect advice.  

Take heed. Take heed.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Richie Nell:
IMO..what Guru has said is perfect advice.  
Well, maybe not "perfect" advice, but darned close to perfect!   :notworthy:    :archer:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Well, he is a Guru.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Believe me fellas..."Guru" has nothing to do with bowhuntin"    :(
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Oh Ok now you tell us.

I thought I was gettin smarter all this time.

I'm goin back to light fast arrows and 90 gr. five blade broadheads.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Try an Axis 500, glue a steel insert at least 125 grains in a 125 grain Magnus.  That will give you at least 250 up front.  Make sure you have perfect flight and a super sharp point.  Bill

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Hunter
(Kingwouldbe) would tell to you use more arrow weight and FOC, also shoot a Two blade, he has killed a lot of hog's.
   :saywhat:
Larry

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Yeah i definately have left the arrows at full length for more weight.  I would definately prefer a heavier arrow upon yalls advice.  What are yalls suggestions?????  Is their any way i can increase the weight of my current arrows(they shoot supper).  I shot Easton Heritage 150's at 27 inches, but they were to stiff.  Also thanks for the advice on shot placement, thas definately something i needed to kno.

Hunter Smith.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
If your arrow is full length now...then I would not hesitate to cut it a bit to make it too stiff.  Then load up the front to weaken it back to flying straight.  

There is a number of ways to load up the front.  I am currently using heavy inserts and small (50 gr.) bullet worm weights.  I shape them with pliers to fit real tight then shove them down the shaft to the insert.

If done correctly, this will increase total weight, increase FOC, fly better and be a more lethal arrow.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
HS - I have taken a pig with a 32# recurve.  I was careful to select my pig, my shot and my spot.  I was using 10gpp but that is still a light arrow.  

I hunt by myself alot.  I only shoot pigs that I can handle on foot and maybe a couple of miles from the truck.  

this puts the pigs in the 50 to 80 pound range (i am an old geezer   :)   ).  the use of a string tracker is a good idea if you are hunting in thick cover.  I use a sight.  the string tracker moved the impact point of my light arrow 5 inchs low at 20 yds.  I know they say the string tracker does not effect arrow flight.  that was not the case for the 32# rig.  I just adjusted my sight.

My shot was at 10 yds.  arrow penetrated to the fletch and was hanging out the off side.

rusty

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
With your 24 inch draw length, I bet you could shorten a set of 600's up enough to put a 100 or 125 grain broadhead adapter or insert into the shaft.  Put a 150, 175, 0r 200 grain head on the front, whichever will tune out best, and you will have a pig stopping arrow. If it was me I would make sure the head was a single bevel two blade with a tanto tip and razor sharp. Ron at KME can hook you up with some grizzlies.

When you start working with new arrows, you will want to leave them full length and start cutting them down as you work on bare shaft to fletched field point tuning.  

I personally prefer to bare shaft to fletched tune all of my arrows.  Set your nock point for proper up and down first.  Then start cutting the shafts in 1/4 inch increments while working out the proper length and head weight.  Keep shortening the shafts until the bare shafts are about 1 inch low and 1 inch right of your fletched shafts. I will say it really clearly.  Don't cut the shafts at all.  Start at full length and the lightest heads.  Get them tuned.  If you have enough shaft length to cut some more off.  Try the next head weight up and keep the process going. Once you have the head weight and length figured out, then.....  

The next step is to test fletched field points to fletched broadheads.  Normally at this point you can adjust brace height, add or remove string silencers, etc... to fine tune the groups.  Both arrow sets should hit in the same spot.

If you cant get 600's to work out then bump up to the 500's and start over.  I am willing to bet the 600's will work at around 26 inches long or a bit more.  With a lot of weight up front you should be able to get into the middle 25% FOC and over 600 grains of weight.  These kind of arrows will kill hogzilla with a shot in the boiler room.  

All you need is half a dozen full length shafts.  The fletched and three unfletched to work all this out.  Once you have the bare shaft to fletched completed.  Buy another half dozen and set them up for your broadheads.  

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Hogs are tough and built like little tanks armor in all the right places and plenty of fat to stop bleeding. Shot placement will be your key to success.  I might suggest you make up or get a hog target and practice for the type of hunt you plan.

It is adrenaline pumping to face a 250 boar with razor sharp tusks but a 100 lb sow tastes so much better.

Here is a picture of my brother on one of my Pig Platforms in Florida

and here is his Hog. Shot a tad high,but right by the shield.  It took us a good 30 minuets to track the 50 yards due to very little blood and the number of hog tunnels we had to crawl through. We were lucky he ran out of cover.

Anatomy of a feral hog.  GOOD LUCK.

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I have to go with what Guru suggested on this one.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I think the arrow set up is to light too. I've noticed a big difference in penetration when I switched to extreme FOC on my setup. I'll bet you could get some Heritage 150's to fly with brass inserts and a heavy broadhead. Check out Stu millers Dynamic spinetester to see what your dynamic spine iswith your current setup and that will let you know what you need to do to get perfect arrow flight with a heavier arrow. I was going crazy trying to find the right setup with some carbon express rhino shafts until using the dynamic spine tester and realized I needed another 50gr up front with my 200gr broadheads.  You can dowload the free dynamic spine tester at the link.

http://heilakka.com/stumiller/
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks to all, you guys have been the greatest with the advice.  This is very much appreciated.  Some of the stuff Clay was saying about tuning sounds like jobberish to me, as i am not experienced enough with the whole tuning thing yet.  But i will save it, and keep going over it till i figure this all out.  Again, MANY thanks to everyone for their advice.  I hope everyone has lots of luck for the rest of the huntin season.

Hunter Smith.

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Oh and by the way, where in the world are yall gettin all these super heavy broadheads and fieldpoints????  I looked at 3 rivers and couldnt find any.  Did i overlook something?? Oh and fellas i dont kno what all these abreviations are that yall are usein, im a newby to this forum.  Yall got to spell it all out for this Tarheel hayseed. Agains thanks so much for all the good advice.

Hunter Smith.

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
most carbon arrows you can take out the standard insert (the part the feild point/broadhead screws into)and you can get 50 to 100 grain insert to bump up the weight,or a steel adapter up front and a heavy broadhead, if your shooting 44 pounds your arrow needs to be 440 grains to 550 grains,heavy arrow will add to the penatration.call one of the arrow sponsers on here or call dale at 3 rivers and tell him your new to trad and tell him what you are shooting and what you are gonna be hunting,the guys and gals of trad are a family and will share every thing to help someone out.dont feel bad about not understanding all the terms ,everyone has been there ,i know i have!  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©