3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tried to make 36" string.....got 88"....****WOOOHOOO, I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 247 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
I went to menards today and the archery shop. I bought a 2x4, serving tool and serving string. I was told to put one nail in the board, then the other 16" longer than the string length I want. I wanted 36" so I put the nail at 52". I made the loops around the nails until I had 12 strands. I cut the string down the center of one nail and had my bundles. I was looking at the video on 3rivers on how to splice them and didnt notice I had a 104" string before twisting     :knothead:     . The bundles were piled in my lap. I made my loops and got everything twisted up. I was proud as heck at the way they looked. Then I saw what I did and just started laughing. The wife thinks I'm nuts now     :D    ..

Can somebody tell me what I need to do to make a string using the 2 nail method? I need to know how far apart to have the nails and well pretty much all of it. Should I have put the 2nd nail in at half the string length + the 16"?....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tried to make 36" string.....got 88"....****WOOOHOOO, I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Seems to me if you woulda cut the string into two pieces, you would have had the right length to begin with ? ? ?
ChuckC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
wrap yer string fiber around 2 nails that are 50-60" apart, cut BOTH ends (at the nails) to give ya 50-60" lengths of fiber,  lay out the fiber at one end so to taper the entire bundle, then break the bundle into 2 or 3 sub-bundles, twist a loop at one end.  for the other end, make and use a bowyer's knot to set the proper bow brace height.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
How do you know how far apart to put the nails? For example, if I want a 63" string, how far would they have to be? I think I'm making this harder than it should be.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
63+8+8=79 79 divided by 2 = 39 1/2. 12, 14 or 15 wraps,cut one end,split into bundles,stagger the ends,twist it up.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
That makes sense to me. I guess I didnt need a 8' 2x4   :knothead:  Do I need to do anything to the bundles before I twist up the loops?.......Roy

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
String making takes a while of practice to get right, but you are well on the way. Your idea about using 1/2 the length or cutting at both nails is correct. Pre string bundles should be about finished length desired plus about 16 inches for the end twisting and final full string twisting. Each person has his own touch and the exact length to make the bundles varies a little for each of us. Its good to laugh - humility in the learning process is a plus.

If you want nice tapered blending of the ends near your loops, you will have to offset the ends of your bundles so that each piece of string is a little shorter than the next. If all your strings are the same length as with the nail method, then separate them and offset the ends about 1/4" each. If you use a fancy string jig with rows of nails, then the strings will be of slightly different lengths and already offset for a tapered finish.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I did something wrong again. I have the length figured out and the loop part. When I put the string on the bow , the twist that tapers down comes untwisted from both ends when I start to let the stringer down and put tension on the string. The loops stay ok......Roy

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
WoooooHoooo!!!!!! I did it....Thanks for all the help folks....I actually made my own string!!!! I started out this morning with not a clue and now have a new string. Its going to take a lot of practice, but atleast I know I can do it.....Roy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©