3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: December 7th Not just another day to hunt...  (Read 387 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
December 7th Not just another day to hunt...
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
A lot of States have No hunting on Christmas Day, Which is OK with me. But I feel that December 7th should be a Day of No hunting ,too. This Day holds a Very special Place in My Hearth & Soul.

I wasn't born then, nor did either one of My Parents Served in the Military at that time. But Still it's a Holy Day for Me. I stayed Home from school on this day, I called out of Work on This Day and I don't Hunt on this Day.

To all That served, To all those that have fallen. I shall Not Forget... This Day should be a Federal Holiday in My Book.

"December 7th, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy".

The attack on Pearl Harbor (or Hawaii Operation, Operation Z, as it was called by the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters) was an unannounced military strike conducted by the Japanese navy against the United States' naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on the morning of Sunday, December 7, 1941 (Hawaiian time, December 8 by Japan Standard Time), which resulted in the United States becoming militarily involved in World War II. It was intended as a preventive action to keep the U.S. Pacific Fleet from influencing the war the Empire of Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia against Britain, the Netherlands, and the United States. The attack consisted of two aerial attack waves totaling 353 aircraft, launched from six Japanese aircraft carriers.
The attack sank four U.S. Navy battleships (two of which were raised and returned to service later in the war) and damaged four more. The Japanese also sank or damaged three cruisers, three destroyers, and one minelayer, destroyed 188 aircraft, and caused personnel losses of 2,402 killed and 1,282 wounded. The power station, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section) were not hit. Japanese losses were minimal, with 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 65 servicemen killed or wounded. One Japanese sailor was captured.
The attack was a major engagement of World War II. It took place before a formal declaration of war by Japan and before the last part of a 14-part message had been delivered to the State Department in Washington, D.C. The Japanese Embassy in Washington had been instructed to deliver it immediately prior to the scheduled time of the attack in Hawaii. The attack, and especially the surprise nature of it, were both factors in changing U.S. public opinion from an isolationist position to support for direct participation in the war. Germany's prompt declaration of war, unforced by any treaty commitment to Japan, quickly brought the United States into the European Theater as well. Despite numerous historical precedents of unannounced military action, the lack of any formal declaration prior to the attack led President Franklin D. Roosevelt to proclaim "December 7th, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy".

Ex-Army SPC 4 Patti

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: December 7th Not just another day to hunt...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
[QB]

To all That served, To all those that have fallen. I shall Not Forget... This Day should be a Federal Holiday in My Book.

"December 7th, 1941 — a date which will live in infamy".

Many a brother of the bow served during this time, we should pause for a moment in remembrance of all that have served, so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »
AMEN!! And May  GOD  Watch Over The Fine Folks Doing  THEIR  Duty Overseas at This Time Of Year!!  :pray:    :pray:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »
Here, here!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
I got married on this day and muderd those very words at my wedding

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
If you ever get the chance to visit the Arizona at Pearl Harbor.  Go on the Coast Guard tour at sunrise.

The account of the attack and especially the calling of roll for those that went down with the ship is a life changing experience.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Mike, I know people that have been there. They took the tour On this Day... They Said there is No Words to describe the feeling they got from it.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Amen.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
December 7 1972 was the day I was sworn in to the US Navy... My Dad was in the Navy during WW2.

When I was stationed at Pearl and we would render honors each time we passed the USS Arizona.

Good post MG...

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
On 9/11 when the planes all started hitting, I called my parents and told them that it reminded me of Pearl Harbor. They were both young adults when the Japanese attack happened, and both of them said they had been thinking the same thing about the comparison. My dad was in the Army Air Corps, which later became the Air Force. December 7 is a day I have automatically thought of each year on that date for my whole life because of the impact it had on America and the entire world. I also think of 9/11 the same way, which is different than before when I only thought of it as my great-grandmother's birthday, my mom's birthday and my birthday. I live in Oklahoma City and had my office just a few blocks from the OKC bombing when that happened. It blew out all the windows in my building, tore up the roof and did lots of other damage. I knew some of the dead and wounded. Events like Pearl Harbor Day, 9/11, and the OKC bombing are life changing and need to be remembered for the evil that occurred and also for some of the good that followed, like people coming together to help one another and to fight the forces of evil.  They are all days that will live in infamy.   :pray:  

Prayers -- Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Excellent post!  Let us never forget.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
You have my vote and Thanks!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I served in the US Navy, obtained a small part of my training in Hawaii, and have seen the memorial a few times.  Always good to remember those who have served.  That being said, if I didn't have to work I would be out hunting.  I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying the freedom that has been provided for us.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Pat, I didn't mean it as everyone shouldn't hunt, just Me.. That is how I feel, I have always felt this way, since I started hunting. I don't even fish on this day. Been like that since I was 5 when I started fishing.

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Plenty of writing and 'news' about that turd Tiger Woods, but nothing concerning this day of remembrance... my generation should be ashamed.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
No worries, Sal.  I didn't think you meant everyone.  I was stating how I felt about it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by OB:
Plenty of writing and 'news' about that turd Tiger Woods, but nothing concerning this day of remembrance... my generation should be ashamed.
This is why I posted this thread. There are younger members coming on here and as we learn about Archery and Give Thanx to those who have done so much to Archery, We should also Remember those Who Help to Give Us Our freedom to pursue it.

Now this isn't meant to be just about America. Even tho most of Us are from Here, But to All Members around the World. Yes, Japan was the Attackers That day. They did lose the War and millions of their own fighting in that War.

But we still came together after it. Just like we did with Italy and Germany. It is Time we stop fighting and be One on this Great Planet.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Good post, thank you..

My only uncle was KIA at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©