3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side plate 560 recurve ?  (Read 330 times)

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Side plate 560 recurve ?
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I am shooting a Fedora 560 1-piece recurve.  It is cut about 3/16" past center.  How thick are the side-plates and elevated rests that you are using ?

Offline stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side plate 560 recurve ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I must have an older 560 one piece.  The window is cut to center and the side plate is maybe 1/8" thick.  I think you better build the side plate up so the arrow is a little off center (to the left) or you'll struggle with tuning it.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Greg,

You sure about that? I begged ole man Fedora to make mine cut to 3/16 to match my MOrrison, but he only went to Center.  

Guess he didn't think I knew my way around a rasp.   :)  

Since then, I learned from OL Adcock that far past center requires a stiffer arrow by far...but worse, it means the arrow "doesn't know which way to paradox coming off the string..." according to more recent conversations with OL.  

I shimmed mine out to center and have to do more to get my FOC up to EFOC by stiffining the arrow spine so I can add more point weight
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Doc Noc & Stevem,

I may be measuring the center-shot wrong.  With no rest or sideplate with the bow square & looking down the string I see about 1/8" to 3/16" of light between the string & riser (no arrow nocked).  A small diameter (approx. 0.295")carbon arrow lines up straight on a bare riser (neither right or left).  

I shoot at approximately 52lbs. at a 28.5-29" draw.  CE Maxima 350s at 31.5" with 100 gr. brass inserts & 125 gr. point.  Little wear on the outside of the shelf, but bareshaft OK.  

Everyone tells me my 60" one piece Fedora 560 is fast, but haven't used a chrono.  Glass, Osage, and bamboo limbs.  Locust riser.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Just to make sure, are you placing the string so it centers the LIMBS then looking at where it passes the site window?  Or are you just looking at the handle, the flat edge of the bow or some other place to center it?

I usually try to center the string down the widest parts of the limbs and then look at where it passes the riser.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Dave,

Center the string down the widest parts of the limbs and then look at where it passes the riser.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©