3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: deer and hickory nuts  (Read 481 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
deer and hickory nuts
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
i've noticed that hickorys are pretty consistant in producing nuts but i really don't see the deer hitting them. this year we had few acorns and you would have thought hickorys would be next in line since we i don't have beech in my area.
what are your thoughts on deer and hickory nuts?

thanks guys

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: deer and hickory nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Your right they don't like them, To bad because we have a ton of them around here.  :)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
There are some hickory nuts that are a bit softer and deer will definitely eat them. Some call them pignuts.

I was hunting amongst a few persimmon trees one year when a doe came in and began crunching something... it turned out to be "pignuts".

The problem in my area is that with the lack of acorns, the squirrels cut the hickory nuts while they hung in the trees. We have two shag bark hickorys near the yard and had hickory hulls all over... never seen one make it to the ground though.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I've watched a doe and two fawns eating the Bitternuts in my back yard...they are in the Pignut family.  They like them, and so does my Lab 8^).

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
We have absolutely nothing around here in the way of mast. Dogwood berries on my trees (only berries of any kind I seen anywhere around here)left in like two seconds this year. And that was before they were fully ripe. Going to be a tough winter on the game.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I have pignut trees on my land and in a year when other mast is scarce the deer will hit them hard.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »
They'll certainly eat them!

Gives me a toothache just thinking about it though...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
One year we had a poor acorn crop. One afternoon on stand I had 9 deer show up when it was just about quitting time. It was just light enough out that I could see how many there were. I went back in the morning to see what it was they were feeding on and it was hickory nuts. Every place I found hickories I found that the deer had been into them. So, yes, they eat them but I do not believe that they are a preferred food source if other things are available.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
I don't see how anything would have teeth and jaws strong enough to break hickory nuts!  they taste good, but sure are tough to break.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Didn't say they don't eat them  ;)  Just said they don't like them   :knothead:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Interesting info. I knew that turkeys would eat them, but I've never heard of deer doing it.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
I`ve seen hogs go to Hickorys first then to the white oaks I was sitting on.RC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
RC, maybe that's why they call 'em pignuts?    :)   I can remember hearing the hogs going through the woods eating them. You could hear the crunching sounds before you saw them.

An off-subject comment: Dean Torges has an interesting entry on his blog at thebowyersedge.com on hickory nuts, for human consumption. When I was a kid, we harvested (not killed    :)   ) them and hammered them open for the sweet meat inside. We only used the "scaleybarks", or shagbark hickory. My aunt cooked with them. We harvested them by the buckets-full in a good year.

Does anyone know which species the deer are eating? There are several "pignut" varieties. George mentioned bitternuts. I have several species on my place, and after reading this, I may have to move a stand or two!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
All the hickories up here in NH  seem to be the shagbark type. We had tons of  them this year and lots of acorns in places. The deer did not seem to be interested in them but squirrels that are eating them are very good eating. I can't imagine turkeys eating them, they are about the size of  a golf ball.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
We have lots of hickory nuts here in Alabama but I have never seen a deer eat one in 20 years of deerhunting. I honestly don't think they have adequate teeth for eating them. The squirrels will certainly eat them but it takes them a while to get into them.

We have all types of hickory trees here but none of them seem to be pallatable to the deer.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I can remember the first time I heard a hog bust one in the swamp. I thought someone was hitting something with a hammer. I put the sneak on that "tresspasser " and it was a big red boar that I missed at 20 yards.RC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Hickories are generally divided into two types- the thick husk varieties and the pecan hickories. The pecan we eat is actually a hickory, and there are several pecan relatives with soft husks and thin shells. Maybe that's what the deer and turkeys eat?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©