3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve or longbow?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve or longbow?
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I know this might be a hotly debated issue, but I couldn't find a heading for it anywhere on the site. As a new member & recent convert to traditional archery, I'm trying to decide between a recurve or longbow. I'm leaning toward a recurve because I hear they're GENERALLY a little faster and somewhat easier to shoot, plus shorter for the tree stand, but I would like to hear opinions from the people who know more than I do (which is everyone on this site).

Last season (2008) I decided to give it a try with a friend's old AMF/Wing Archery "Swift Wing" (66" and 48#). Had a blast shooting it all winter & summer, then killed a nice doe & a little 4-point buck with it (southern Indiana). Thought I had it out of my system & went back to my compound this past season, & even shot a little 7-point; but I missed the traditional shooting. The compound is just a tool for hunting, which is fine; but traditional shooting is fun by itself, so I guess I'm hooked.

Now I need some advice on taking the plunge. The 66" length didn't seem to be a problem in the tree stand, although the Wing is really a target bow. I also need something that won't deplete my bank account too much. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve or longbow?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I shoot a long bow better.  Notice I said I.  Its a personal choice.  You need to shoot a bunch for yourself to decide for yourself.  Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
I have a 30in draw and shoot a 62in recurve and a 64in longbow and love them both. Only you can decide what shoots best for you no matter what anyone else tells you on this site.

Shoot as many bow as possible and you will find what works best for you.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I have both but I prefer the longbow.  Why I really don't know.  I shot both types about the same accuracy wise.  The only thing I can think of that I would worry about with a recurve is limb twist.  A stringer and proper handling takes care of that.

For whatever reason the recurve sits on the rack and the longbow is what I have when I leave the house.

I hunt from treestands and shooting a longbow from it hasn't been a factor for me.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I prefer one of each. As for as which to get first, the one you find first in your price range. Start shooting and shoot some more!!!!!

have fun
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
You should shoot some more of them,there is the Great Northern Expo in Michigan coming up in the end of January 2010.You'll be able to shoot some different bows there.For me it comes down to personal preference,I like longbows and shoot them the best.I have never really cared for a recurve type grip.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
you will hear every opinion and reason to go with either.  The Holy Grail is what you decide works for you.  Remember, the destination is the journey.... enjoy it.

Sorry, not as lot of direction given....

FWIW - I'm a longbow fan.  Just like them.... the differences are so blurred these days.  Lots of great bows out there.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
I shoot a Samick Red Stag take down recurve and a Samick Outlander longbow. Both bows were under the $200 mark and both shoot really well, especially if you consider the price. I owned a custom longbow once and while it was a beauty I found no appreciable difference in performance between it and my Samicks. For the price you can't go wrong with a new Samick. As far as bow type I would have to say the recurve is the easier of the two to master. I have been shooting both types of bows for two years now and found the recurve much easier to get the hang of. I would also recommend Mr Asbell's book on instinctive shooting. Once I got a hold of a copy the resident Squirrel population at my tower decreased dramatically.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I own both but prefer the grip on the recurves. Again this is strictly a personal preference.  As for the length issue you can order a custom long bow from some of the bowyers in lengths clear down to 56 or 58 inches.  I know JD at whisperstick makes some short longbows in these lengths and JD makes a great bow at a great price.  Again, it's just a preference thing, shoot what you shoot best.

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
I shoot longbow.  Were in Southern Indiana you at?  Possibly try mine out if your close.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I've been a recurve kind of guy since the 60s but did own a longbow in the 70s.  I did kill a flying chuckar partridge with it also.  I prefer the recurve for hunting but would like to own another longbow, the old design, not the "new" design.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Recurves for me but I somtimes shoot  my longbow but prefer Recurves each to his own ,also newer r&d longbows are as fast as recurves   :wavey:
Gord

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Come to Kalamazoo in January.  Spend a day or two and shoot a lot of stuff.  Best thing you can do.  Find other TG members in your area.  I got lucky and found a few in my area with a lot of bows and new ones all the time.  Everyone is different and it is all personal preference.

I shot recurves back in the day and started with them when I got back into trad bows.  I tried LB's and recurves that are one piece, two piece, 3 piece, straight grip, locator, medium grip, short bows and long.  I had to try them all to figure out what I like, and even then I had to own some used ones to really spend time with them to see how they did longer term.  I am still trying stuff anytime I can.  My taste in bows changes as time goes on, and I spend more time with different bows.  I found I didn't need a short bow for tree stands.  I draw about 29 1/2" and have found LB's from 58"-62" to work fine for me if designed for my draw length.  I found in the end I like the medium grip LB's with R/D limbs at 60" the best.  I like how quiet a LB is.  I like the speed of the R/D LB.  I like a little more grip angle.  I now really like the 3 piece TD LB I am shooting.  It has a little weight to steady my shot, but it is not heavy or bulky to me.  It is easy to repeat grip, very quiet, and compact to pack.  I think I have found my bow, but I will be at Kalamazoo in January shooting everything I can.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
After swearing by the "genius" of recurves for years, I bought a longbow a year or two ago and it just grabbed me! Something about a "D" shaped 64", "Howard Hill" handled, longbow just grabbed hold of me and I can't say I'll ever go back to the recurve or hybrid despite their advantages. I still like them all and suggest you try all, including some hybrids (just to confuse you further     :D  ).   It's all good!     :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I have both recurves and longbows and my bow of choice is a recurve.My longbow is very smooth and quiet with good speed but I never could get use to the smaller grip. I know you can get a hybrid and get the best of both worlds,but I'm happy with the recurves.Please yourself not someone else.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
If you decide on a traditional grip longbow, look at Mowhawk bows.  A full blown custom bow for $475 is a smoking price and everyone I know who owns one loves their bows.  

I am going to parrot everyone else here.  Find trad ganger's cloe by and shoot theirs, go to shoots and gatherings and shoot everything you can to find the one that fits you.  What fits me perfectly and shoots straightest, might shoot way low and left for you.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
you guys make it hard for everybody!  :biglaugh:pretty sure i'll have to buy a long bow now just to see!
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
I also have one of each, but i like the long bow much more
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I prefer a recurve, I've found, like others here, that the grip just fits me better.

I've found that the comfort of the grip makes me much more consistent.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Tommy, said it best, any bent stick will do for a bow, but good arrow a heap of work!

Brian, get a chance this coming year, go to Cloverdale Nationals and try alot of great sticks, new and old. Or any other trad shoots!

The Bunny shoot, in the next month. Shoot all that you can.

Not only great opportunity, But Great Folks and new friendships created!

Like having the cake and eating it too!

Good shootin, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©