3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve or longbow?  (Read 538 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve or longbow?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I think the key is the grip. If the grip fits your hand, you will shoot the bow well. As you can see from my signature, I have some of each. The two I shoot the best are my 46# Kanati and my 53# Kota Prairie Nomad. They both have small grips, which fit my small hands well.

As to which is better...the one you shoot best. I would check the classifieds here and pick up a quality used bow. Several of the bows in my signature came to me that way.

If I were limited to one bow for the rest of my life, it would be my 46# Kanati that would stay while the others left. Jason Kendall builds one heck of a bow. This little bow flat smokes a 520 grain arrow. It is more than adequate for anything I am likely to shoot. Don't let the draw weight fool you; it will shoot with most bows at or above 50#...recurves included.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Looooooooooooooooooogbow 68 or 70"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
I prefer the longbow, main reason, they are quieter.  Or at least I can get them quieter than recurves.  I like my Morrison Shawnees and usually shoot Dakota limbs on them, but do have a couple of sets of Arapaho recurve limbs too.  Same riser with both longbow and recurve limbs.  The recurve limbs are a bit noisier and no real difference in performance especially with the Carbon Foam limbed Dakotas...

I've shot a number of different recurves over the years, but when it comes time to head to the woods I tend to grab a longbow...  I have taken a handful of critters with a recurve, but by and far the longbow has taken more in my hands.  Basically it is because a longbow is in my hands most of the time.  Both will do the job, if you do yours.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I have both and there is not anything bad about either of them. I used to only have recurves and thought I would never own a longbow. Now I like the R/D longbows as much as the recurves. I probably shoot my longbows a little more now, but I could just as easily pick one of my recurves as my favorite of the day. The lack of a recurve does have advantages as far as transporting, stringing, and silencing the bow. The recurves tend to be a little faster, but not by much, depending on the design.

Take the advice about going to Kalamazoo and shooting lots of different bows. Then you can try to figure out what you like best. That may be hard to do with so many great bows around.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
I shoot and hunt w/both longbow and recurve. I find the recurve more accurate and easier to use (for me), and therefore the LB is more of a challange, as I have to focus more to hit anything.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
Don't care for longbows,will always be a recurve man.Just something about the whole "draw cycle" on it.Feels alot different then a longbow.Plus the limb whip and insane hand shock on the D shapes.

Longbows will always be quiter than a curve IMO though.Less string contact on the limbs.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
I ask that question every time I go to shoot.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
You can purchase a riser which will allow longbow or recurve limbs to be attached. I'm sure there are several to choose from - I know of Trad Tech and Bob Morrison, there was a thread which stated more. A nice option for a guy who is starting (as long as you like the grip). Going to a shoot or two will allow you to handle and shoot some bows to give yourself a better idea of what you like right now (which will change, I'm sure)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Recurve or Longbow?  

Yes, please.  

I have a few of each and love them all.  You may as well just plan on getting several now so you can pick what you want depending on the mood of the day.  They aren't wives; it's okay to keep a few around.
Silence is golden.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
LONGBOW!! you have to have one. I personally don't like Recurves they seem like compounds without the pulley's there short and they can have a lot of attachments if you want them and some say they are easier to shoot. But to each their own.You have to shoot what feels comfortable to you.JMO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Like said before find the grip style which fits and feels best to you. With that said I own both and they have identical grips so I shoot them both the same. A take-down with interchangable limbs is a good way to go.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
OK Brian....ya got yer answer!   :thumbsup:
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Try both, and you may well end up owning both. I started out with the recurve but now shoot the longbow almost exclusively. There is just "something" about the longbow. Both are fun and each style has unique characteristics, so the best choice is the one that you like the best. Shoot a few different bows before making your final decision and pick whichever suits your fancy. But as I first stated, you may find that you ultimately want both. Nothing wrong with that, either.
Sam

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
The answer to which is better, longbow or recurve, is "yes."

I own both, shoot both, enjoy both and if you told me I had to make a choice and could only shoot one from now on I have no idea what I'd do.

As 30Coupe and Pitbull, among others, said, it's what feels right to you that matters.  If you enjoy shooting it, it's a good bow for you.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I own both a Bear Montana long bow and Kodiak recurve and love shooting the long bow but the Kodiak spends the most time in the woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©