3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Slat Thickness  (Read 438 times)

Offline Abram

• Trad Bowhunter
Slat Thickness
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Let's say you are gonna build a Refelx/Deflex BBO bow. Your draw length is 25 inches and you are shooting for 50-55#. What in your opinion would be the minimum length of the bow and the minimum thickness of the osage slat. Are there some rough guidelines or do you just start with a slat say 5/8 inch thick and go from there. The reason I ask is I have several nice pieces of Osage and I want to get the most out of them.

Thanks

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slat Thickness
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
hi, i would make the bow 62" tip to tip. 5/8" thick to start. 1 and 3/8" to mid limb,down to 1/2" tips.plane the bamboo down as thin as you can get it before glue-up. score both pieces glue surfaces with a hack saw blade and wipe down with acetone before glue-up. use urac 185.hope this helps. regards, kendall techau

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
5/8 will give you plenty of meat. 62" NTN is a nice nimble length for a 25" draw too. You could even push that to 60" NTN at 25".
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Abram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I was thinking perhaps 62" ntn would be good for hunting. I think I am going to build both and see what works best for me. How much would you say that you relfex the tip upward. Right now my form has about 6 inches of reflex and I am thinking of adding more. Anyone else with any thoughts?

Thanks fellas

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:28:00 AM »
6" reflex is a lot. IMHO

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©