3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One with the Wilderness.  (Read 693 times)

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
One with the Wilderness.
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
It's been 6 months since I bought "One with the Wilderness" from Mike Mitten at the Compton's rendezvous, but haven't had time until just recently to read it.  All I can say is "Wow, what a book!"

The book was an enjoyable read all the way through, but I found myself particularily taken by the moose, elk, and muledeer solo stories. Mike did a great job of making you feel as if you were there with him on the hunts, and sharing the elation and sometimes dissappointments that he experienced.

There was one small piece in the "Trailheads" sectioned where Mike describes being caught in a T-storm on the mountain that brought back a memory so strong it gave me goose-bumps.

I was on my first solo backpack muledeer hunt in Steens Mtn Oregon when after a day of hiking to a remote "buck pasture" I got caught in a series of thunderstorms that had me a little worried.  From 7:00pm until 3:00am storm after storm came rolling off of the Alvord desert and litterally pounded my camp.  I laid there in my tent with the wind blowing so hard that the fabric of the tent would push down against me.  Bomb-blast thunder claps struck so loud that you couldn't help but yell to maintain some semblence of equilibrium.  I laid there with knife in one hand and my essentials pack at the ready, fearful that in the event the wind started to take the tent I might have to cut my way out and make a beeline for my truck 6 miles down the drainage I was in.

The storm passed and in the morning I crawled out of the tent to the bluest skies I've ever seen.  White fluffy clouds floated in off the desert at, and below where I stood.  My breakfast never tasted so good.

Anyway....  The book woke up some memories and gave me some inspiration for this coming year.  Something that's been waning for a while.

I usaully sell a book after I read it except in the most compelling of circumstances.  This book has eaned a place along side 1000 Campfires and Bows on the Little Delta.

Just a great read.

Watts

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One with the Wilderness.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Great story Bill. Love my tent in storms but can do w/o the lightning. That is a good book.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Bill,

Just talking with you for that short time in the vendor tent waiting for Mike, I knew you would really appreciate the book.

I think you have hit on one of the reasons the book appeals to so many;  To some who have done a few of the things Mike has, it stirs memories and thoughts about how we have experienced  similar situations and for those who have not done them yet, it is inspiring to that it CAN be done with persistence and desire.

GREAT review   :thumbsup:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
You nailed it Bill!  Mike shares his experiences in a special way that makes the reader feel exactly what he felt.  It is no doubt a classic!

Also a great Christmas gift suggestion for those that are still working on your Christmas lists!  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Bravo!! Yes. It is a great book and I loved it as well. Mike Mitten is really one of the true "Great Guys" of our sport. His writing and hunting ability is amazing. Mike has written a book that is a must read for everyone who has ever spent time afield!!

Peter Iacavazzi

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Bill I don't know if you have the DVD "Primal Dreams" but some of Mikes stories in the book are part of that great DVD and they just go hand in hand as two of the greatest publication of modern archery history.

DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Because my job really limits what I can do in terms of the non-resident trips and time away from work, most of my elk and moose dreams will probably remain that until early retirement in 7.5 years (but who's counting?).  Mike's book has helped provide inspiration and lay the groundwork for what I intend to work on once I reach that point.  There is no doubt in my mind that he has "earned" all his animals and his accolades in bowhunting, yet he shuns the limelight and is content to be one with the wilderness.  You gotta like that.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Straitera,

I am a magnet for lightening.  Then again, with a last name of "Watts" perhaps it's to be expected.  

That trip to Steens was unique in that as the first storm came rolling in off the desert I was actually watching lightening bolts coming from clouds that were lower than I was.

Steve,

"it is inspiring to that it CAN be done with persistence and desire"

Amen to that!  And with that said the degree of satisfaction you draw from your experiences whether successful or not, is priceless.

Joe,

How are you?  I met you at Comptons and bought a quiver from you while I was there. Quite the storm you had to endure that week while there, eh?

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
DJ,

Yeah, I bought a copy of Primal Dreams while I was there and have watched it a few times since.  I have played it for probably more nonhunters than hunter friends who seem to get the biggest thrill out of it.  My nieces and nephews get the biggest kick out of the turkeys.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Yesterday December 7, was not only Pear Harbor day (a day of emotional reverence), but it was our Wedding anniversary. It is no secret that I dedicated this book to my wife Paula who passed away shortly after it launched. So it does my heart good to see that so many people are not only connecting to my grand adventures and pursuit of great beasts, but many have picked up on the personal details that I thought would only be important to me. It shows me you are all special, and this way of life supports and attracts the best in “human NATURE!” Thank you, Mike

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
We love you Mike. Thanks for sharing your love. BW

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Thank you, Mike!  Great book, and yes the personal aspects shine.  Keep inspiring us!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
I'll second that.  I'm a better man from spending time with Mike.  

Barry, you and Gene too!  Thanks   :thumbsup:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Its been along time since a book moved me and made me feel I was there with you feeling what you felt .A true work of art and Emotion ,up there with the best of them.Thank you.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
Hey Mike,

Thank you for your work.

I'm done with the book, but I don't think it's done with me.

I'm so sorry about your wife.  Sounds like she was a great gal, and I'm sure she's smiling at you from above.  Best,

Bill

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
Mike,

Its -19 with the windchill in Utah. I'm having a quick cup of coffee before I head out to kill a big bull (at least thats my plan). Next season, I'm excited to have you as my hunting partner!! Yes...as my Uncle "B" says...WE love ya Mike!! God Bless you and Paula!!!

Pete

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
A good friend loaned me the book to read while spending way to much time in the hospital. It really felt more like a hunting buddy telling stories of his hunt to a friend. Thanks Mike for sharing your hunts with me...

Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Gentlemen

Where can someone buy Mike's book? Also where can someone buy the Wensel's books?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Chris,

Here is where you can get the new Wensel books:

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/newbooks.html

And here is where you can get Mike's book:

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/mikesbook.html

Offline Fishnhunt