3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Surewood Straightness!  (Read 244 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
Surewood Straightness!
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Got a test pack of tapered Surewood shafts from Archery-Past this past week and am very impressed so far! I had them tapered on the nock and point ends and sealed so that I could use them to test what spine I need then go from there when ordering bare shafts, so I don't know the spine and weight consistency, but they seem exceptionally strong (they are between 75 and 99 pounds in spine though) and they get much straighter than I would have imagined. I used an old AAE Aluminum Arrow Straightener I have and when I'm through with these shafts, they look to spin just as well as the Axis carbon arrows I've been using when I spin them side by side. Very surprised how straight I'm able to get them, and every one I've straightened has stayed that way thus far. I have some compressed, tapered cedar test shafts coming from Cedarsmith as well so we'll see how they compare, but I'm certainly happy with what I've been able to do with these Surewoods so far!

Craig

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Surewood Straightness!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Glad you like them Craig. I was surprised at first too. But after awhile you learn that Surewoods are just plain good wood!!!   :thumbsup:  They are consistantly right on the money!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Best danged wood shaft I ever touched! I won't shoot any other wood from now on.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I recently got 48 shafts-all will make arrows-zero rejects!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Can I ask a question about Surewood Shafts?

I just got a dz and they feel like they have high spots all aroung the shaft. While cresting them they viberated in the crestor. They were stright but just didn't feel smooth/roung like the cedar shafts I have been buying. How does surewood dowel there shafts? A jointer? router?

They shoot great, just woundering.....

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
When I got my shafts, I could tell they weren't burnished. The pamphlet they came with says it's to help absorb stain evenly and avoid growth ring feather lift commonly found in doug fir shafts. I haven't worked with any other doug fir shafts, so the later is beyond my knowledge, but they sure do take a stain nicely...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
DesertDude,
Mine are the same way.
Craig

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
Straightest woodies I have found in a few decades.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
I have not noticed what you are refering to DesertDude. But then I always lightly sand all the wood shafts I have ever purchased so that they will take stain evenly...POC, spruce, and now douglas fir.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Surewood Shafts got me to give up my compressed tapered cedars.  I agree with Steve H. - these are the best woodies I have seen in decades.
TommyBoy

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Mark, the out of round thing is not unusual with fir and I see some of it with the Surewoods.  The rift in fir is quite a bit harder than the summer growth causing it to grind differently in the doweling process.  Most of their shafts are round, but if they rattle on my spinner, they go in the stumper pile.  If you're not going to crest, it doesn't really hurt anything and they will still shoot very well.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I was making some more of them up last night. I sure love the grain on these shafts. I also ordered some footed shafts from Great Basin Footed Shafts, I love making woodies up.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©