3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting from elevated stand. Length of bow?  (Read 497 times)

Offline DeltaBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting from elevated stand. Length of bow?
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I'm in the market for a reflex/deflex longbow but I'm interested in what you guys think about the length of a bow when shooting from an elevated stand? I'm 6' 2" but I want to have enough clearance when standing without sacrificing cover with pruning, etc. I would think that a longer bow would be more forgiving, but should I sacrifice forgiveness for ease of use? Specifically, a 64 inch bow is what I had in mind. Do I need to reevaluate?

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting from elevated stand. Length of bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I have a 66 AMO recurve and cannot shoot directly beneath my elevated stands when sitting b/c bow is too long, even when bow is slightly canted during the shot process.

I am 6 ft 1 inch and when hunting on the ground and shooting from the ground w/ that bow I have to kneel upright (w/ butt off the ground and back straight) as opposed to kneeling w/ back slouched and resting butt on ankles.  When kneeling and slouching I'm not high enough to shoot w/o limb interference from ground.

Sorry, just noticed you are talking about STANDING while shooting from elevated stand. Around here I rarely do that.  Even if its a treestand that offers a choice to stand or sit,  I just sit on it.  Where I hunt, when we're hunting elevated we are only 9-14 feet of ground max and we just sit and shoot from sitting position. I've tried standing but it seems way too dicey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I to have an issue with the sitting shot 6'3" and shoot a longbow but I do sit side saddle in my stand and that gives me the room to shoot sitting.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I have shot with my 62" longbows from both ladder stands and lock-on stands. With some care and planning it can be done. I did hit my knee with the lower limb on a close (6-7 yard) shot, which caused the arrow to miss high on one this year. But from 10-20 yards out, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

My first deer was shot from a ladder stand with my 62" Mahaska longbow. I was sitting at the time and the shot was to my left front. No problem with the bow.

BTW: I am only 5'9" tall, so you may have better luck at your height.

All-in-all, I prefer my 58" bows from both stands and pop-up blinds.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
That's why I remove the seat from my stands, that plus a deer will walk in on you sometimes and catch you off guard .

But to answer your question even standing a deer close tot he stand is tough, plus the shot angle is not the best.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline DeltaBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
thanks guys.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I'm 5'8" and have no trouble with 58-60" recurves in my stands.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm guessing that as long as it doesn't hit the ground, you can make it work.
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
My hunting partner is about 6'3" and he uses a 64-inch recurve.  I'm 5'11 and I use a 64-inch longbow.  It's just a matter of setting up for the shot you most expect to get (which doesn't always happen, of course) and canting the bow if you have to for the real close shots.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I like my Shrew Classic Hunters and Lil Favorites and my 56" Morrison ILF that allow me to take shots from tight quarters without having to deal with all the issues that come with longer bows. I have many bows from 60" to 66", and they all do well in the conditions favorable to their lengths. I was just thinking last week how nice it was to be able to shoot my Shrew out of a treestand that would make using my longer bows nearly impossible. For other styles of hunting, the longer, heavier bows have advantages. My advise for shooting from tight spots is to go with a shorter bow that is designed to perform well in a short length, like the ones I mentioned. It will be so much easier to shoot from a comfortable position that you will gain a lot more stability than you would lose from trying to make the longer bow fit into the tight spaces.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
72" tip 2 tip 70" N2N I shoot a nice DOE with it out of a stand

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
I've built and shot selfbows for 20 years and long bows and recurves for another 7 or 8 years.And up untill 5 years ago I hunted mostly from hang on's.And each spring I gobbler hunted either off a stool or setting flat on the ground.Then
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Sorry about that.Then I'd have to cant my bow some.But from a stand I can't ever remember ever haveing any trouble.
  I you want to use your bow this way you will find a way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I used to use an 89 pounder that was 70 inches, I could only shoot standing and I put a lot of faith in the safety straps. Always wished i had faith a 48 inch recurve, but i can't hit the broadside of anything with them.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I prefer 58" and 60" recurves for tree stands myself.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I've been using a 70" lb this year, standing on the stand. I wouldn't be able to, though, if it weren't for the safety belt that allows me to lean out or hover near the edge without fear.

Offline Coach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I shoot sitting from my stands.  Have used nothing but 64" and 66" bows.  Find spots that work.  Coach

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I shoot a 62" longbow and usually shoot a 64" and have no trouble shooting from stands. I`m 5`11.I can shoot in some areas around the stand sitting but usually stand when deer are coming. I`ve killed directly behind the stand and as close a 7 yards this year. I climb usually around 14-18 feet.How high you climb will have a lot to do with how much trouble it is to shoot deer close to you.
  I believe the reason some people have trouble from treestands is they don`t practice from treestands. If you use one you should be able to shoot from most any position and have already practiced that shot enough to not have to think about it.We tend to practice leaning and bending and kneeling from the ground then shoot about a dozen arrows from the tree and go hunting.RC

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Bow length isn't a big deal.   Stick your index out.  That's the difference in limb length (bottom and top) between a 62 inch and a 70 inch bow.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline DeltaBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Good points all. I'm going with the 64" r/d longbow. I plan on doing a lot of practicing from elevation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©