3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: caribou, elk or alaskan blacktails???????  (Read 768 times)

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
caribou, elk or alaskan blacktails???????
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
So here's the big question, I'm saving and looking for an awesome hunt to go on next year and I have never hunted any of the three i listed. So I'm looking for some input from all my fellow bowmen out there on what and were and with who. The specs are I would like to go with my two brothers, buddy and dad, me my bro's and friend are all about rough and tough, but my dad likes to stay a little closer to comfort. I am willing to sacrifice a better hunt for something a little easier so my dad can go. As far as money goes i and every other person would like to have 2-3 thousand saved up each and am thinking anytime after sep 1. We usually go all self guided, but I know sometimes getting someone with the tools and experience can be very good. So any thoughts or experiences you would like to share would be very helpful, thanks.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: caribou, elk or alaskan blacktails???????
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
You may want to check this out
 http://www.alaskasport.com/
I have never hunted with him but have heard he is good. He completely outfits and flys you in and you can experience Alaska Caribou hunting for around 3k self guided. Gosh If I ever had the money.
Bob

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
If you go for caribou in alaska, search out info on the haul road.  For a DIY its pretty hard to beat.  I used to have topo maps just for the haul road, i think you can get them at fletchers archery in wasilla.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Are you all shooting bows?  All traditional?

With that kind of budget, and considering your dads preferences, you might want to consider that Alaskan Sitka hunt.

The boats you stay on are pretty comfy, and if your father needs a physical break from the hunting he can always take a day off and fish for halibut.  

Unfortunately I doubt you can put much of a hunt together for elk or caribou for that kind of money with your preferences.  

Save the elk and caribou for a DIY type hunt where you can get more for your money.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Daniel,

I have hunted all three and will give my opinion for what it is worth.

I have hunted rutting elk in Arizona.  If I were you, I would start putting in for limited areas for elk out west and wait a while to hunt them.  You might find an OTC or general tag that could compare, but I really doubt it and if so, it  will take a TON of research and many, many years of trial and error to find it.  IMO waiting for a decent LE units puts you in line for a GREAT experience.

I hunted the Mulchatna herd in Alaska before the big decline.  Caribou are cool, but they are real hit and miss anywhere you go (except the NWT-McKay Lake but that is really not DIY).  There are 100 horror stories for every good one when it comes to hunting caribou in Quebec; if someone GAVE me a hunt in Quebec, I'd decline it.

I have hunted Kodiak Island in November during the Sitka Blacktail rut.  If I was forced to pick one and only one animal to hunt each year for the rest of my life, it would be the Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak.  It is the most beautiful place I have ever been and I have been all over from the bottom of Texas to the northern tip of the furthest northern hunting concession in the Yukon and quite a few spectacular places in between.  The double throat patch and thick black forehead just do something for me.  The meat is awesome on the Sitkas as well; especially the liver (and I am not much of a liver guy).

With that said, I don't know if I could ever camp on Kodiak...those big bears intimidate me when I just have my bow.  So, I am going this fall to POW to hunt blacktails and black bears--they don't scare me so much    ;)  

It is the easist hunt to do with a group too.  I'd look into a boat trip on Kodiak in Nov.  The deer are not so high like they are early, you eat like kings, and you don't have to sleep with the bears.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Alaskan would cost the most. I think you would have more options with Elk. I hunted New Mexico this year and could have stayed in a motel or camped out. I had access to hunting grounds, stores, fuel, and restaurants. That would make DAD happy. I still had to walk 1 1/2 to 3 miles in to get to the area I wanted to hunt. You just have to draw tags unless you buy landowner. Unit 34 in New Mexico is pretty diverse in altitudes and terrain. Steep to easy and elk in all of it. I could give you starting places and GPS numbers if you draw. I also know a guy there that would guide for a day or two without having to book a whole guided hunt. This could be a pretty inexpensive trip.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Well black tail hunting for you will be like hunting stunted deer on a island in lake Michigan. South eastern Alaska is nice but allot like other coastal areas in the US. Personally I'd head for the haul road and caribou. Rent a RV for your Dad so he will be comfy enough ( nearest hotel is about 300 miles away) The slope is unlike anywhere else in the world and you have to cross the brooks range to get there. Lots of critters and the environment changes for mile to mile.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
I think you would have a tough time renting an RV for the haul road. Most if not all of the RV outfits forbid using their rigs on that and several other roads in Alaska. I rented one from a mom and pop outfit last summer and they also forbid driving on the haul road and some others.

If you could find a place to rent a 4x4 pickup with a camper, that might be your best bet up there. Even the "good" roads can get pretty interesting at times.

At any rate, Alaska is beautiful! I thought we were taking the trip of a lifetime, but now I know I will have to go back.

Save your money for as long as it takes and go to Alaska. You will not regret it even if you don't manage to take any game.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
30coupe

Come to think of it your right most rental places wont let there vehicles anywhere near the haul road.

But it would still be my pick of the hunts listed, just a minor glitch that can be dealt with.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
thanks for the info so far guys, really appreciate it a lot. We all would be shooting traditional gear, the sitka hunt from the house boat sounds great and would be something my dad would really enjoy, he likes eating well. I have heard so many good things about chasing elk around, but wonder if it would be to physical for my dad, I think caribou could be sweet if we were in a good camp right in the thick of them, hmmmm
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
if this was something you only plan on doing once in a big blue moon.

I wouldnt do the haul road!  super low success rates and as was said hit and miss...but it IS a helluva lot of fun!

I've hunted blacktails on baranof as far as my leathers would go in a long day, they definatly ARE fun...but even for a resident they aint cheap.

I have also hunted elk in WY back when I was in sheep shape and chasing sheep regularly.  Elk IS fun and a rush, but quite frankly it doesnt hold a candle to chasing sheep!

If you can hit a caribou herd right you'll have the time of your life.  THat means being able to MOVE in a PLANE, not driving the haul road with everyone else, I dont think you'll appreciate that style of hunting.   Or deer, they are fun and they are excellent eating.... Yup with that many guys in camp, I'd pick deer or caribou and stay away from elk imho!

Just my 02.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
you can get a 1st class live aboard boat hunt for kodiak blacktail, 5 days, for right in your price range. ($2850, more or less)
i know several outfits that offer the hunt, and a couple i could recommend.  PM me for more info.
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Another "NO-WAY" for the haul road!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
i not ever having hunted a caribou or sitka blacktail must toss in my two cents and vote for an elk hunt.nothing like calling in a rutting bull to ten yds and have him stand there screaming his head off.the adrenaline rush is like nothing you could ever imagine.it goes so deep inside you that you can never forget it.burns into your soul and stays there.there are great over the counter tags in several states and i am positive you will get all the info required here on tradgang to put together a great hunt.in the end you decide but to me just hearing the screams of a rutting bull is enough.
                        larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »
You don't need topo's for the haul road.  It's a N-S road and you just need to remember which side you went in on.  Can see most of what you'll be hunting.  GPS is good for foggy days.  Nice to know whether to go left or right when you hit the road.

Driving up would be best since you need a fair amount of gear to be comfortable. Like AKDAn said, success can be spotty.  I have had years of success and years of failure up there.  By that, I mean several in a row.  

DIY Sitkas on Kodiak would be tough unless you drove up.  Tough to carry all the gear you would want and an early season hunt might be tough on dad.  Have to climb high. Cabin rental would be your best choice.  Check for winter kill this year before you commit.  Plane fairs keep climbing, both to AK and to the bush. Boat hunt would probably put you over budget what with plane, licenses, possible hotel bills (I've waited 3 days to get out of the city and then had a delay of a day to get back to Anchorage) etc.

Western elk would be your best choice and you can get lots of advice here.  With that many guys you might find you're a bit crowded.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »
Check out this Kodiak outfit for blacktails. I just came back from there and I had a great trip. It is unguided and they drop you off with skiff in the morning and pick you up in the evening. Stayed in a house had satellite TV. All meals were provided. Deer were plentiful. Posted my results in the highlights forum under Kodiak Blacktails. PM me if you have more questions.   http://www.kodiak-charters.com/

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
I'd watch some of those old Sea Dogs boats. My buds some well known Trad Gangers went to Sitka and stayed on a boat. The all picked up Parisites and lost arm pit hair. Some had grown corn rows on there backs and arms. Fun Fun!

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Pretty much agree with SteveO on a boat trip to Kodak in Nov for blacktails. The big bears own that turf and camping with the bears can be serious business, problems aren't that frequent really but you only need to have one for it to be a life changing experience. I've been closer to a couple than I care for and being near a big bear with a longbow only makes you very aware of you level in the food chain.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Another Black-tail hunt that I looked at on Prince of Wales Island. I have heard some good things about this operation. But I don't have any personal experience with them
 http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I will be hunting whitetail with my snow shoes on this weekend, we have enough snow from our first major storm of the year,(14") I should be able to run one down if I can find them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©