3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Abowyer Broadhead Penetration!  (Read 494 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Abowyer Broadhead Penetration!
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

This is not the results of my shooting. This is from someone else's shot at an elk. The elk jumped the string in a big way! Not the intended shot placement. But as you can see the head performed well through thick bone. No "tip curl" here!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Abowyer Broadhead Penetration!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
That's some heavy bone. Do you know the specs on the setup?

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I like it!!! Not the shot but the penetration just as Dr Ashby confirms. Bow & arrow specs would be nice.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Did they find the elk?  :p

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
No. They got that bone in the mail some time later, from a guy named Royal Yellowstone.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Jiminey Christmas!!

Set up info would be extremely valuable!!
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
No. They got that bone in the mail some time later, from a guy named Royal Yellowstone.
Funny post!
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
That's proof in the pudding right there.I'd be interested to know bow setup as well.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Very effective indeed!

Please don't take this as trying to start something, please    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I agree with Guru. I did the same thing on a Buffalo with a STOS. Dropped it stone dead and I think the bone might have been a bit thicker then an Elk but I've never compared. But I do like the Abowyer's and even watched a bunch being made down at the ACS "factory". First class killing head.

CJ
lll

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
what curt said.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Was that elk shot from a tree stand. I was thinking of setting one next year but didn't know about shot placement for elk from that angle ?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by elktalker:
Was that elk shot from a tree stand. I was thinking of setting one next year but didn't know about shot placement for elk from that angle ?
Shot placement would be the same as any deer, elk being a member of that family.   :thumbsup:

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
You just killed me right there Ray! haha!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Elk are nothing like deer when it comes to killing them. To say they are tough is a huge understatment. You have to get good shot placement to kill them. Ive seen deer shot in the guts and dropped over night. Not going to happen with elk. Ive seen to many elk shot good from the ground with full broadside and not found them. Once I shot one center body right behind the sholder from the ground and only got one lung it was a last light shot so we came back in the morning to jump him he ran like he wasn't even hit. I did end up getting him, by the grace of God I was able to get a shot at the other lung later that morning.I have a lot of respect for the animals I hunt and was looking for responce from some one that has expearience elk hunting from tree stands.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Well, first off I was hoping this meant ole' Snag had a blacktail down!

Many heads out there wouldn't have done that without a fairly heavy bow and heavy arrows and would have hung up much sooner, IMLTHO.  That said I'm positive a Grizzly or Stohs would have done as well or nearly as well.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Yup…Not wishing to venture into the great beyond either, but I suppose alongside saying other quality heads would also fair well is the matter that there are many that won’t…like none of what I presently have in my whitetail quiver.

The picture does make a nice heads-up statement, though…and the bone/head would make a great paperweight.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by elktalker:
Elk are nothing like deer when it comes to killing them. To say they are tough is a huge understatment. You have to get good shot placement to kill them. Ive seen deer shot in the guts and dropped over night. Not going to happen with elk. Ive seen to many elk shot good from the ground with full broadside and not found them. Once I shot one center body right behind the sholder from the ground and only got one lung it was a last light shot so we came back in the morning to jump him he ran like he wasn't even hit. I did end up getting him, by the grace of God I was able to get a shot at the other lung later that morning.I have a lot of respect for the animals I hunt and was looking for responce from some one that has expearience elk hunting from tree stands.
I apologize if my response wasn't what you were looking for. But biologically, elk are a member of the deer family. As such, their vital organ placement is the same as their smaller cousins. The fact that elk live longer than smaller deer, like whitetails for example, after marginal hits doesn't change proper shot placement (marginal hits, by definition are not proper shot placement).

Yes they're big. Yes they're tough. That may change equipment requirements, but it doesn't change where you need to put your arrow to get both lungs.

And yes, I do have experience hunting elk from treestands.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
ANY quality broadhead on the market isn't going to get that much penetration on an elk.  Cool pic!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Wow, I wasn't saying the Abowyer head was better than another head.  Just thought it was a cool picture that I wanted to share with others here as to the effectiveness of them. I am concerned with tip curl when selecting a broadhead. This was pretty convincing to me as to their strength.

Steve H, I wish it was a picture of a big old barrel-chested blacktail!!! Kind of like the one you shot this year!      :confused:   Still looking.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©