3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting/hunting with Rick Welch  (Read 727 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
shooting/hunting with Rick Welch
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I first stated thinking about this idea about 2 years ago. I had watched Ricks intructional dvd and liked it just fine. then I got the overkill dvd and I thought, I'd like to meet this guy and hangout a while. I had bought one of his bows on this site, and  had two more that he built for me.

When he started doing his shooting schools in AR, I thought about going out, but I hate driving or flying. I got to talking to a couple of my buddies and we came up with the idea of trying to get Rick to come to us. We wanted to do it during hunting season, so we could have school in the am and hunt that afternoon. I called up Rick and presented the idea to him. He was cool with it so we blocked out a time, Dec 8,9.

I finally got to met him at the ibo trad worlds this past sept. Nice guy. We talked a bit and finalized the plan.
 Happy to say it all went off without a hitch. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting/hunting with Rick Welch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
That is great Don Did you guys kill anything? How much did you learn not much I will never be able to beat you now. LOL Lee

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
pics?
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Heck I can't type what I meant was I hope you didn't learn too much because I couldn't beat you before. I know you had a good time.Lee

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Rick had a class up in WV this past weekend and drove to my place on monday. We met up and went on down to our camp. Got settled in and ate a good steak supper. Guys in camp were me, Rick, John Dill (kanati quivers), Jet Mathews, Nick Georgaid, and a friend of mine from Reno NV, Ed Doyle, who was out here rifle hunting for the week.

the next morning, he got us all togather and had us shoot about 3, 4 arrow groups in a target, while he filmed us. then we went upstairs and put it on TV. He talked to us about stuff we were doing and stuff we needed to do. then he took each of us one on one, back down and spent some time with each guy. He reflectched arrows, changed nock pts, shelf plates and what ever. the guys were excited when we broke for lunch. some of them had made great progress. after lunch we went out and shot a 3d course that me and Jet had set up last sunday. Rick took his bow and shot right along with us. It was a fun time.

that afternoon we all went to get on our stands. I went with Rick and got my first experience in how to be a camera man. We saw one small buck and a doe.  we pasted up the cowhorn and the doe never presented a shot.  We got down at dark and met John, who also had a small spike under him all afternoon. When we got back to camp Jet and Nick were there. Jet had seen deer but no shot. Nick had shot a big 5pt management buck. 165lbs and about 4 1/2 yrs old. He had just went to 3 under that day and drilled him right in the pocket. deer made it about 75ys. end of day one. DB

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
The next morning we got up and it was raining hard and blowing about 30 to 40 out of the SW. After breakfast , the boys move the targets to a place that was out of the wind more and we shot while Rick watched and corrected. He had a new longbow that he's been working on and it is a fast stable bow. The wind did'nt lay down at all and we were wondering if it would be worth going back out in the afternoon, but we were already down there with plans to spend the night, so what the hell, we went anyway.

John, Rick and I, went down a trail and at the split, John went his way and we went ours. Nick had to go back home and Jet went to another spot .  Rick and I chased off 3 deer when we got to our tree. We went up , got the camera arm on the tree and got ready to wait. the wind was blowing so hard I thought , we gotta be crazy to be up in this oak in these conditions. We did get a small 6 pt and a doe on film,  Cool stuff, that filming.

We went back to pick up John at dark and when we got back, Jet had killed a 175lb raghorn. also a split finger guy who switche over  the day before.  

I think everyone , including the teacher, had a blast. Got back to my place this morning and I was beat. sure glad I did'nt have to drive all the way to AR.

Ricks a laid back guy  and everyone came away a better shot I think.  I did take a few pics and will put them up. thanks for looking Don

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »

Jet shooting, with Rick on the camera.

Nick shooting

Nick's deer

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »

John and Rick take a break

Jet's deer with John, Rick and mason (jets dog)

Group photo.

Great time. Don

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
nice stuff Don! :D  good luck!!  :archer:
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Thats sounds like a great time.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I was tt the WV shoot on saturday.I learned a bunch and you could not meet a better guy! Bob

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
That should have been at the WV shoot. I hope I can shoot better than I type.  Bob

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Looks like a great place to have a great time. Congrats.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm WAY envious Don!  Sounds like a great time.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I got to say.....Its good to have a buddy like Don Battan(Batman) Not because of his fine skills in putting together a great time with great friends. Not because he enjoys shooting a bow or striving to be the best at what he does. It all boils down to the fine cookin he did this weekend. We ate like kings. Fried chicken with all the trimmings one night. One heck of a breakfast and many other great meals of deermeat, steaks and chilli of the such. He a man of many talents.

We had a blast! Rick Welch has definantly mastered the art of helping his students bring themselves to full potential when shooting their bow. I really got to work on trusting my bow arm during the shot and learning to keep that backtension in the shot. He was a fine fella to have around! I was glad to see my buddy Don get a chance to do some camera man work for Rick. Don did a great job for his first go at it. It was also great to see our friends Jet and Nick pull so much away from Ricks shooting class.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Also that dog in one of the pictures above deserves recognition. His name is "Mason" and I dont believe theres a deer his nose cant find. He's worth his weight in gold.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I've always thought that Rick seemed like a great guy to "hang" with...good instruction, good company, and good hunting.

Very cool    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
So Don, did you shoot your new Anneewakee recurve or did you hide it and only keep the Dakota out while Rick was there? Sounds like a great time, its amazing how much a guy can learn even when he knows so much!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey Mike, actually we kinda played musical bows. Everyone traded around. Widows, schafers, addictions, oh my. I kept going back and shooting this new longbow that Rick brought. He's been working on a new design to get a little more speed out of them. Nothing radical, just minor stuff. I shot it about as good as any of them. DB

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I was at the WV shoot also. I agree... Rick is a good guy and a great teacher. I'm shooting better than ever now. I think it is one thing to be a great shot... and another to be a great teacher. Rick is both!

Sounds like you all had a great time.

Bob Stager: Hi Bob. It was nice meeting you last Saturday. Let me know how your season goes!

Wayne Boone (fnshtr)
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©