3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting/hunting with Rick Welch  (Read 725 times)

Offline foamkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting/hunting with Rick Welch
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Don sounds like you had fun brother. I talked to Rick last week and he said he was going to WV and then NC. Didn't make the connection he was coming down to see you guys. Did you send Rachel home with him? If you didn't you need to. Next year we are gonna have a ball at the Trad World. I got a new Dakota coming.......can't wait. Take care and tell the boys I said hey.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
Sweet!

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
sounds like ya'll had a blast and killed some nice deer to boot. thx for posting.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Great write up and pics, Don. Very enjoyable, as always. I may or may not see you this evening, as discussed. with as cold as it is today, if the wind keeps up (making the chill factor worse), I probably will opt for my warm living room    :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Bernie

I know your tougher than that!(LOL)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
An old Marine is still old! Don can you send Rick and John up north to K-Zoo with their bows so I can try them out? Maybe Compton's? Blizzard conditions here yesterday Bernie and this OLD Naval Aviator was darn cold here!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
LOL - yeh, guys - I usta-wuz! BUT then, I've never been one to mess around with cold weather , unless I had no viable choice - like when I wuz a kid in NH, a Marine in unsociable climes, and/or an adult in Main -    :archer:  

(I DID stay by the "cozy" last evening, BTW - and I was glad of the choice, though I did miss my weekly (more or less) "face to face" with Don, this week - LOL. I've come to really look forward to those.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
I guess "Team Anneewakee" will be at the top of the leader board again this year. Don, you and John were already "cleaning every bodys clocks"! I guess after this one-on-one tutorial, you two will just be a proverbial speck on the horizon! Sounds like good times were had by all. Can't wait for the 3D season to start back so I can shoot with you fellas again.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
I think I may seek some (more) "one on one" tips from Don - after hunting season ends (so that I don't corn-fuse my po' ol' addled brain too much at the wrong time). I might even decide to make some drastic changes before 3D season - scary, huh?   :eek:  After all, he did get me straightened out (with help from Ron Swartz of KME) on sharpening knives and BHs really well - for the first time in my 74 year life. Who says ya can't teach an ol' (Devil) Dog new tricks???  :knothead:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
good time - and during a time of year most places are burnt out - good job guys!!! we gonna have to work on those pictures though - see ya in 2 weeks.
<><
<-----------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Don,
I'm curious.  Those that made the switch from split finger to three fingers under, did they find it more accurate?  And does your bow have to be tillered for three fingers under?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
Hey Doug, The two split guys were alot more accurate after the class, but I'd have to say that I don't think it was all because the went to 3 under. I think it was the fact that they had developed a double anchor and a consistant rountine that they can repete shot after shot.

All my bows are tillered split and I shoot 3 under. I have to run a higher nock pt on these bows. good luck. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
That was something I was wondering about too and planned to ask next time I see/saw you - interesting answer (makes sense to have two points of reference/alignement - certainly works for rifles and pistols), buddy. I used to have an English friend (in Main) that shot a bow quite well and he always reached back and placed the ball of his thumb on the back of his neck, along with index finger in corner of mouth.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Bernie, it aint magic. It don't matter if you use Ricks method or Rod Jenkins or Terry Green or John Dill or Preston  or who ever. The main thing I get from watching these guys( or any other that shoot good) is they do the exact same thing shot after shot. Get a routine that works for you and do it over and over. nough said. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Great pics and post Don.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Don said it right.....Amen

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
What if your memory won't behave and remember the routine you select, from time to time? Just kidding, Don and John - that info also follows good shooting (of any type) proceedures also - and one does have to remember it - somehow   :knothead:  . Thanks for the important reminder.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline foamkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Don you know your and Preston's methods are not environmentally friendly.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Don,
Thanks for bringing that point home.  I spent some time with Mike Fedora and that is what he taught me,  double anchor and get a routine.   Unfortunately, I forgot that and had more missed shots this year than I care to admit.  I'll be practicing my double anchor and routine.  Thanks for the reminder.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
i would have loved to been there

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©