3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First try at river cane arrows  (Read 1965 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First try at river cane arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Thanks Art and Mickey, I think:)   :pray:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Well I just can't stop playing with cane arrows. I got 1 done up tonight. I rushed it a bit and only put on 1 coat of stain and 1 coat of tongue oil. It shoots very nice. It did spine out at 55 to 60 pounds. High for my 46 pound bow, but the bow is almost center shot. I am learning quite a bit about these arrow shafts in only a few nights of making them. But I am having a blast. I thank you guys for the advice. Here are some more pictures.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
By George, I think you've got it! Very nice cane arrow, Roy. With the natural taper of cane(and hardwood shoots) the spine is less critical. You can subtract 10# of spine weight just for that natural taper, I believe.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Looks like it's a shooter Roy. How about a close up of the nock. Looks unusual for some reason, want to see how you shaped it.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I cheated Mickey, it's a plastic nock:) Was in a hurry to shoot it. Next one will be a self nock.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
PLASTIC??????   :scared:  

LOL you spent how many hours straightening the cane, making and fitting the foreshaft, thread wrapping the turkey feathers and then couldn't wait long enough to shape a self nock?

Egads man, have you no self respect? LOL
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
guys where do you get canr i made the mistake of ordering tonkin cane on the net and man that stuff is all over the place
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
nice job, Roy. thanks for the pics.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
crash it's all over Texas..one of the great cane states(that plus osage and flint)..you are in the middle of Primitive heaven

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
well may be i need to go for a long walk all i find is what we call switch cane breaks real easy and doesnt really have a node

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Actually switch cane and river cane are very similar but river cane grows taller and larger in diameter. What you are finding may be called switch cane locally but chances are it is something else.

http://www.geocities.com/archeryrob/river_cane.htm

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Mickey, don't make me take a road trip to Cincinnati Ohio tonight and thump the chit outta ya:) LOL, but I do agree with you, and I DID say the next cane arrow will have a selfnock on her.. I promise. And I want to make some deer antler style field points too. Dat Trad enuff fur ya?  :)  

I shot this broadhead tipped cane arrow tonight about 20 times in the basement at 12 yards at a 3 inch bull. 14 out of 20 shots were in the bull and the other 6 were maybe 1/2 inch outside the bull. I can not get over how well this arrow flies! There is no fishtail, no porpoise, and it hits hard. The sinew did start to fray a bit after shooting it and pulling it out 20 times. So I smeared duco glue around the sinew, I think that will help. Now don't go messen with me about using man made glue on the sinew there boy:) LOL

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Roy, I use super glue or Duco on my sinew wrapping and to seal over hafted points.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
well i think i might try out one of those tonkin cane pieces now looking at cane arrows online has inspired me

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
LOL ok Roy no more hassle from me

BTW Bone field points would be really cool. I 'll have to try that someday. If ya use a tip it won't be so porous when you taper the point don'tcha think?

12 yards is about 4-5 yards farther than I usually shoot my deer    ;)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
Yup I already learnt that about using the tip of the antler to get away from the soft inner core of the antler on down the rack. Now all I gotta do is perfect my procedure for maken the darn things:) But I will Mickey.  

And BTW, I glued up your arrows tonight. 1/4 inch Hickory and 1/4 inch Poplar. Ran them thru the plainer to 1/4 inch, hit them with the toothing plain and glued them up with Smooth On. Got them two, 3 inch wide boards clamped down on the workbench as we speak. Will get them cut out and run through the arrow maker in a day or 2. I will need your mailing addy. Send it to me in a PM or e-mail dude..

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
Yep,you're going to like those selfnocked cane arrows so well Roy that you'll want to make up a nice target set. Probably going to want to make a few more up to show your buds at the 3-d range just have well they perform. Lord, just watch how them good ol' boy's shootin' improves when staring at self nock arrows in a target  :eek:  . Might as well right "pick-a-spot" on 'em. Now don't come complaining to us when you don't have an more cane arrows to shoot, you know your way to Cinninati LOL  :D  !

But seriously though, I don't like anything but a selfnock on a hunting arrows. Had many a plastic nock fail but never a selfnock. So use your head when it comes to target arrows Roy! :knothead:  -ART B

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
LOL Art, but I understand..

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
The hardest part about cane arrows is keeping them once people see them. I've probably given away a half dozen one at a time, for every one I've managed to hold onto. Made 13 last fall (all with flint heads), and I'm down to 4 or 5 left and haven't fired a shot yet LOL

You'll find out Roy. hee hee

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
I can certainly sympathize with you Mickey. That's the biggest compliant I have about cane/boo arrows. Had to make myself a new set this past winter. But please don't tell anyone!  :scared:  -ART B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©