3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If You Had $1000.....  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If You Had $1000.....
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I would guess for most guys it is probably a matter of the time away being the bigger issue.  They have the money but can't get away, so buy a bow instead?  If it came down to a choice where I could have one or the other it for sure would be the hunting trip!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I would use it to help pay the bills.  I cannot even imagine having that amount to consider going on a hunt.  Most of us have to hunt close to home or not at all.  Just not much extra out there right now!

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Whip probably gave the best answer for me.  I will spend that much next week taking my family away for a few days.  I plan and budget to do that because I'd rather spend time with them (their not ready to chase big game ... yet).  I've got some quite divers hunting experiences for very little cash outlay (good to have friends) so there's no "need" to pay alot.  Besides some friends have put out big bucks and still got skunked.  If they just wanted some memories and comraderie, we could've done that for less $$$!

I don't buy many bows anymore but they are something tangible that can bring their own memories.  If they don't produce as intended, they can be sold.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
whoops
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I think i would hall butt to Arkansas and take my two youngest boys on their first hog hunt or let them take me on my first whitetail hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Well, $1000 wouldn't get me there, but I'd add it to my Alaskan black bear hunt with Tom fund.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Careful, Curt!  If you win everyone over to your viewpoint, there won't be enough bowyer sponsors to help provide for a really fine trad archery site anymore!!    :rolleyes:  

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I'd have to say several hunts in surrounding states.  Or I could just cut my throat and die rich..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Bow buying / trading is a hard habit to break.....don't I know....classic materialism.  Realistically, we shoot the arrow, not the bow and would be better off focusing on future hunts or family activities instead which bow we want to acquire next.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I understand both sides of the affliction, for me it's about hunting, but my schedule won't allow me to get away often. I hunt locally as much as I can because short notice works fine. Problem is, when deer season ends, that's pretty much it for me. I have no one to trad hunt with, so I turn to other aspects of the affliction to satisfy myself during the off season.

Money can dictate things, but mostly it's time. If I had some guys to trad with, I'm sure I'd find the time to grab a few hunts here and there. I just can't wonder off very far unless it's on vacation, which I have little of.

So for now I will dream, grab it when I can, and enjoy all of Traditional Archery's facets.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Easy one, it's a trip for me.  With another move coming up in the spring, the less stuff I need to deal with the better, LOL!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
I hear what you're sayin' Curt. I like looking at a lot of bows on here and at different events, but haven't personally been bitten with the bow bug enough to own more than a couple. The only one I shoot is a used one I got off the classifieds.

About this time last year, I determined to pick up some extra work when I could and put every spare penny toward hunting this season. I have been fortunate enough to hunt in 4 states, be on 2 St. Jude Hunts and have the pleasure of hunting with 6 different Trad Gang members. All that for $1500! That's licences and gas total. Took a little effort and discipline not to spend $ on other stuff, but well worth it in my opinion.

I can't think of a way to shoot more than one bow at a time, but I sure have figured out how to enjoy the one I have while alongside some quality folks!

To save $1000 in a year's time you only have to set back $2.74/day; $1500 is $4.11. I'm guessing most folks can handle that part. Time off is another matter, but a couple of 3 day weekends in a neighboring state can be done inexpensively and with little travel time.

Offline Rocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
A hunt, for sure. As a new trad hunter, but long time rifle/compound hunter, one local animal I've never taken is cougar, I would use the money to pay for a houndsman to get my cat!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Well if I had 1 grand I would get a New Bow and go on a Hunt.

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
My vote is for the bow, mostly because I'm satasified hunting Idaho. The time off would also be a factor, as I don't get to much, a feel guilty using it on myself rather than doing something with the family. There are hunts I want to do away from Idaho someday, but unfortunately they are going to cost a whole lot more than the cost of a new bow.

The guys I know that have a bunch of really nice, real expensive bows seem to do more traveling to hunt as well. I would guess that's more common than someone having a rack full of expensive bows but not hunting much.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »
Already got the bow on order; so that must mean I'm going for the hunt   :bigsmyl:

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
$1000 wouldn't cover going to the only place I would leave Alaska to hunt.......I'd buy something nice for the wife for Yule(our mid winter gift giving holiday)......so I can continue to buy bows the rest of the year!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
I'd go on a hog hunt to Ray's place in April!!
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »
Bowhunting is my main interest and to be able to hunt is the realisation of our dreams,but the most exciting places like out West or Alaska are very expensive.So for the price of a dream hunt for Moose you can buy 10 of the most expensive custom bows,keep dreaming; you always have a resale value.We don't hunt for the killing but for the trill and the experience,but when you spend 10K in 10 days and you come back empty hands memories fade away.Said that I would like to spend more for hunting.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
New bows are nice... as we all know.... but after just coming back from CO on a Elk hunt... thats enough buying of bows for me. I have three nice bows now after buying & selling to get what I wanted over the years.

Oh and Curt... 1K will cover your flight from LAX to Brisbane and return mate....

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©