3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If You Had $1000.....  (Read 2075 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: If You Had $1000.....
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I would guess for most guys it is probably a matter of the time away being the bigger issue.  They have the money but can't get away, so buy a bow instead?  If it came down to a choice where I could have one or the other it for sure would be the hunting trip!
That really sums it up for me.  Seems when I have the time, I don't have the money, and visa versa.  But if it were to come down to it and I had both, YUP! it would be the hunt!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Curtis Haden:
I'd go with the bow.  Spare $1K bills don't come easy around here.  Here's my justification:

The memories from a from say, a three-day, out-of-state hunt may last a lifetime, but the tangible part lasts -- you guessed it -- three days.

That new bow will probably last a lifetime, and may even get used on a "hunt of a lifetime" someday when I have more time and money to do it...  It definintly will get used around home!!!

Just too many nice bows out there I haven't owned or even shot yet!  I'd love to have the money to do both, but for now, I'll keep sorting through the bows I hope to travel with after I retire.
:readit:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
I would pick the hunt as I have more bows than five people need. As a matter a fact I could go on a combo fall turkey hunt and clean up the bucks Curt lets walk   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
I have the 2 bows I have always wanted a Bear T/D A mag and a Bear B wood riser with a few sets of limbs. I always save my $1000 each year for my 2 week hunt in the Grayling/Mio,Mi area,been doing this since the early 60's and dont plan on stopping just yet. Well my ride is here for this mornings hunt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Beware the man with one bow...he probably knows how to shoot it!  I have a couple sets of limbs, but I've been spending my money on hunting rather than bows for a long time.  Pretty much shot the same bow for over 20 years, and I enjoy carrying it all over the country...and to a few others.  The nicks, scratches, scars and spray paint are all memories.  Short of dropping my bow off a mountain or something I plan on carrying it all over for the next 20 years.  Heck, if I had a new, shiny bow I wouldn't know what to do with it...I'd probably be afraid of tossing it out of a tree 'cause it might get scratched or something.

Ryan

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »
Each to his own but personally I'm not into paying to hunt. Paul<><
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
For me it would be a hunt.  BUT that being said I get very limited time off from work.  So I would have a hard time spending that time on a hunting trip for me rather than going on vacation with my family.  So I buy bows!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
kodiakkid  
Trad Gang Member
Member # 10063

Quote  Each to his own but personally I'm not into paying to hunt. Paul<><

I took the part about paying for a hunt to mean just travel, lodging, eats ect. not that I'd be willing to buy a hunt from someone. I guess it's all in how you interpret it.
hahaha Just made me remember " It depends on what is,is?" or something to that affect...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
I spent about that much this year to hunt BIG whitetails in a northern state. The license was relatively cheap at $200, no draw, we hunted public land for free, and we saw no other hunters! My group saw more big bucks than I could believe, so we will go back. Ain't sayin' where!

I can hunt whitetails out my back door, but nothing like the bruisers we saw up there! The money was mostly spent on gas, food, and lodging, expenses shared. We had a comfortable cabin to hunt from, where we could see game out the window.

Got plenty of bows and arrows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Man, Curt, yer killin me.

Am I the only one who has gotten tagged by the recent years economic effects?  :)

If I had the $$, I'd either go see li'l Feather, Ray, or get on one of the spring bear hunts with Quest IV. Thing is, that you have to plan on most of those some time ahead...and way things have been for way too long, I never know if I'll even have work in 3 mos, 6 mos. No use making those kinda long-range plans in that situation.

If I made a deposit, then things tanked, you'd be seeing me on here like some fellas some time back trying to sell out their hunt spot to recoup some deposit.

That and I did some of those 4 day weekend hog hunts with an ole friend in Tx..back around 9/11. The horrors of airline flights now, packing nuff gear in the tiny allowances and praying it gets there...oye!  :(

Guess I'd need another bow since some guys ship ahead...but if it's "fall", I couldn't chase leaves around the back wood lots locally as I only have one bow I hunt with...

Now look at me...here I am in a tither over this when there ain't a snowball's chance in Hades this is ever gonna be a real problem...ya stinker, Guru  :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I all ready own an awesome bow, so I don't need another one (though I wouldn't mind having another, and another...).  I would use the money to hunt some place other then my home area.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm pretty set on the bow.Don't know if this counts but I've been wanting to build my own bows and would spend the 1K on tools to do so.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
To pass the time since I ordered my $1000 Brackenbury I have been to Ray Hammonds twice, spending another $1000.

So I guess my answer to the question would be............BOTH!

The Brack should be here soon and I already have plans to return to Ray's with the new bow.  :)

My wife and I worked hard, lived modestly, raised our children, and took care of things. Now it's time to do some things we put off.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Unless I had my eye on a particular bow for a long time, it would be spent on a hunt,it would be a do it yourself hunt in a good whitetail state, maybe a western hunt, a bear hunt in Canada or......shoot, I need more than a grand!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I have a few bows and one on the way.  I definitely love bows, but I got off of my high priced local lease so I would be able to take a trip every year.  This year was my first year to hunt in KS, but it won't be my last!  After seeing how deer are supposed to act; compared to are "few and far between", freaked out local deer, I never knew what I was missing.  I still have quite abit of local land to hunt, but I won't be spending quite as much time or money to hunt locally as I did before.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
right now i would say im financially embarrased.but to have a $1000, i would say i would love to go on a guided or semi guided hunt for a trophy whitetail.ive spent a good amount of timein the woods over the yrs, and have never seen in person, the monsterbucks you see on tv.ive seen plenty of does, a few spikes,and at best one fork horn. right now al i can do is dream of a hunt like that.may be some day
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I bought a pair of shrews this year.  After many years of shooting second hand bows they are the first and last new bows I will probably ever buy. I would have to replace one if it ever broke but otherwise I have no need or desire to trade for anything else.  So I guess I would go for the hunt every time.  You are correct on the time off part.  For me the price of a hunt borders on being irrelevant compared to the cost in time.  I have a very limited number of days remaining on this earth and have so much to do.  I keep a full plate with family, work, business projects, shop projects, horses, and hunting.  I wish I knew how to get more time in a day without loosing my sleep time.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Load the 5th wheel and head south for a hog hunt  :goldtooth:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
A long time ago I read that Howard Hill figured he could spend a lot of money on taxidermy or go huntin with that same money. He chose to go huntin and I adopted that philosophy myself.

Not sure who'd take a whole bunch of mounted stuff or for that matter the bows I still own from years past.

Huntin costs regardless of where you go so it ain't always about payin somebody to take you huntin.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I dunno, I already have a couple of good bows. In my mind, a bow is a bow is a bow, so I would definately take the hunt. Gators maybe....
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©