3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If You Had $1000.....  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: If You Had $1000.....
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
2009: bought some collectible and shootable old Bear bows - mostly 1959's. Hunted in my home state of Iowa, plus Texas, Quebec, Colorado,Wisconsin and Georgia. Did not harvest animals on all those hunts but time spent with good friends, sunrises and sun sets, with a bag of memories put up for life's late season. A $k would not help much, fit in about all I could this year.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I am right there with you Curt! I have more bows than time to shoot them, cant shoot a BW Or Morrison any better than my Quinn or Tradtech. Me and 5 buddies are going to Texas, Febuary, hog, javelina and varmint hunting. A $48 tag for 5 days, gas and eats is all it will cost, hunting for free on a friens Uncles deer lease, 2500 acres infested with hogs. We will be bunking in his cabin, everyone is pitching in same $ for groceries, to cook, should be a great time.
samuel koger

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Out of state trips are great, especially the 1st time in new country but I think for a lot of folks the reason that they buy multiple bows is because they value them as they would fine paintings or sculpture.
         Its hard to tell an art collector that they already have a VanGoh and dont need another.

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Are you a bow HUNTER
or a BOW hunter? LOL

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
I have some great bows. I would take them on a hunt! If I draw the out of state elk tag I am hoping for this year I would welcome the $ for that trip.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
A long time ago I read that Howard Hill figured he could spend a lot of money on taxidermy or go huntin with that same money. He chose to go huntin and I adopted that philosophy myself.

Huntin costs regardless of where you go so it ain't always about payin somebody to take you huntin.
out of all the hunting, i have only 2 shoulder mounts. I try keep teeth, claws, horns, skulls etc but most have been lost or given away. I dont hunt for the horns, i hunt for the hunt.

Id used the money to hunt! for sure
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I will take the 1000 dollors and go on a 7 day diy hunt in oregon.do it now, some day you will be to old to go.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I'd go hunting with Curt!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Well..... Maybe I'm a little "odd"   :rolleyes:  

I was born and raised here in N.Y. I've lived the majority of my 49 years right here in Dutchess Co. I have family and friends all over the state. My Mom and Dad lived in Maine for a while,and that is where my ancestors came from originaly. I used to hunt up there quite a bit years ago. However,I have done most of my hunting right here in N.Y. hunting every season of my entire life. I have never even really "wanted" to hunt anywhere else. As for bows..... I have a few old Bear recurves,and I have my Mikuta longbow. It fits my hand perfectly,and it shoots better than I do. I paid $350 for it. Unless it breaks,I really have no reason to buy another one.

If I had $1000 just sitting around collecting dust,I might take it up to Shawn's for the JLMBH and buy a bunch of raffle tickets for the kids at St.Judes.

Then again, I would probly just send it to vermonster. He can do better things with that $1000 than I ever could.     :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Great thread! Kinda like what came first the chicken or the egg??

I suppose that I am the classic trad bow-a-holic.  I follow the ads here regularly, as well as **** a few times each week.

For me, trading/buying bows is kinda like having Christmas all year long!  However, and I am always trying to scheme up ways to beat my wife to the front door to get the mail first!  Right now I think I up to like 18 bows, and I have a couple of nice customs on the way, along with 1 Bear Grizzly; as I have recently begun trying to collect some old LH Bear bows.  Yes, I guess I need some serious help.  

But for me the hunt is the true essense of what really motivates me.  Because, for me these tools would be useless if you couldn't shoot something else other than a target face. A nice day in the woods is just what the doctor ordered, and helps me find a sense of peace and clarity to my sometimes complicated life. I also enjoy making great memories and sharing camp with my hunting buddies, some from this great site!  In order to balance my addiction and hunting endeavors, I try to pick a couple of low-budget hog hunts each year, along with one major hunt.  I can usually swing this without too much "heat" from the homefront.

Behind door #3..... perhaps there is the best of both worlds where you can have your cake and eat it too? I am fortunate to have a wife who tolerates my affliction and escapades into to woods and for that I feel pretty lucky.  My latest idea that I sprang on her just yesterday is to hunt the first week of bear season with Eldon Jeandreau in Maine for for 2010.  I try to start planting the seeds early for my annual "BIG ADVENTURE".  Then, this one special hunt, along with a couple of other smaller ones keeps me smiling.      :archer:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Bow-a-holic here too. I like shooting arrows out of different bows. I enjoy hunting and Whitetails are my favorite and Alabama and Tennessee offer some of the best Whitetail hunting around.(Sep-Jan. 3 a day limit.)So traveling is not a priority for me. So given the choice a different bow is my choice of the two.
Let's do some buying/selling/trading!!!Christmas is days away!! LOL
PS. Even learned to shoot Right handed for the purpose of shooting a better selection of bows. NOW AIN'T THAT SICK!!!!!
By the way Chas, thanks for selling me that Bob Lee Elite that Buckster was eyeballing.Looking forward to shooting that one! LOL
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
I got bows.heck I'll be going on another hunt.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I'm a bow junkie to, but anymore I'm more interested hunting experiences than buying bows.  Elk hunting for the 1st time next year!  I also have some other hunts I'd like to do before all my youth has escaped.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Momma dont notice another bow but pretty sure she would figure out a Ks trip
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same bow for at least a dozen years, and it's never given me a reason to want a different one (ok, I have a few others, but they don't get shot much).

Between the two choices given, I'd go hunting.  I'd have to say though, there are causes that are much better than me, such as supporting our troops or helping out the Catch-a-Dream foundation.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
I am definately a Bow-Aholic, I appreciate fine craftsmanship and enjoy buying selling and trading. I have met some fine people here swapping bows.

With that said I also get to chase Elk every year for a couple weeks, hunt Whitetails when I can draw the tag.

If it was a choice one or the other I would pick the hunt. I will be going down to chase Hogs with Curtis in February!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Well if I had an extra $1000 dollars sitting around I’d be set on my string supplies so I’m not looking for the pile of cash to start piling up anytime soon.

If…(big IF)…$1 bills start to magically appear and pile up I’d like to go on a hog hunt in the south somewhere.  Or I know some prime deer ground to bow hunt in Missouri…$1000 would cover the hotel/gas and open some doors for sure!

As for time, well that’s a different story all together!  My wife and I are on completely opposite shifts so time is not on our side.  Couple that with our young kids and I’m not getting away often.  I was fortunate in that she said yes to me going bear hunting in MN this fall, I think she really wanted to go north with her family and the kids anyway so it worked out.

I’d love to go somewhere and spend $1000 dollars hunting in the process…I can think of a lot of places and animals to chase.  But I can buy two bows or more for that money and I don’t have to find time to shoot them, I can do that every night when I get home from work.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
If it is a choice between a new bow and a chance to hunt with my son Matt in Colorado again, there is no doubt- I'm going hunting with what I got.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
A hunt. I had a $1000 bow and didn't like taking it out in the brush. Was afraid I'd scratch it.
Sold the Blacktail and got a second hand Bob Lee. Shoots the same arrows. ;)
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I also needed some of my cash back. ;)
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©