3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If You Had $1000.....  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If You Had $1000.....
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
I'de invest it in improving the deer habitat on my property. Get in at least one good food plot.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
I can't speak for everyone else but for me it's the thought of spending the $ and having the possibility of coming home empty handed.  That would be hard to swallow as well as hard to explain to the spouse.  At least if I buy a bow I can have something to show for the money.  For us, that's a lot of money and I better have something to show for it or I'll be in the doghouse for a long long time.

My prefference however would be to go on a hunt but realisticly the smart choice would be the bow if these were my only two options.  Plus the better half isn't much for the outdoors.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
$1000 bow or go hunt....  I'm huntin!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
I have my bow fund and work to buy, sell and trade with that.  I can have a couple bows at a time.  I am still trying stuff to see what I like.  If I had $1000 it would go in the bank with these times we are in.  Maybe a couple nice used bows I could sell and get the money back if needed.  Hunting something different or a trophy would be nice, but with my family, the economy and schedule, It would be very hard to justify traveling to hunt.  Maybe some day.  Right now I have 4 deer in the freezer and a buck tag.  I can't get motivated to hunt in the cold when all I would be doing is hunting horns given I don't need more meet.

I do know that if I had it to do over again I would have done more traveling and hunting when I was younger and single.  I wasted far too much $ on guns,general young men's fun and vehicals.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I do know that if I had it to do over again I would have done more traveling and hunting when I was younger and single.  I wasted far too much $ on guns,general young men's fun and vehicals.
Amen to that brother!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I could take $1000.00 and do either, but I wouldn't spend that much on a bow, and I wouldn't pay for any guide service.  I think it would be cool just visiting with another tradganger and hunting or just shooting stumps with them.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
If it was truly "extra" cash, I would put it toward a moose hunt. I would go with an outfitted hunt, not guided. With money being as tight as it is right now, I would most likely do something foolinsh with it, like put it in the bank!!
 I trade/buy alot of bows, but I don't take money from the "household funds" to do so. When I do an out of state hunt, I try to work overtime or pick up odd jobs (roofing, fence building, brush clearing) to pay for it. As I have hit my mid 50s, doing the extra work is a bit tougher to do as the body is showing some wear. In construction, I tend to get time off when I want it the least and end up working overtime when I would prefer to be in the woods! Always works that way for some reason.
My biggest issue is TIME. I get no pay unless I am at work...no vacation time, no paid holidays, no sick days, so when I DO plan a hunt, I need to have enough money set aside to cover the time lost from work, as well as the license and transportation costs of the hunt.
I have been blessed to have been able hunt bear and caribou in Canada a few times and if I had to limit myself to one more hunt away from home it would definitely be Moose. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Won't say I will never buy another bow, but I am pretty set now with Widows and Treadways as well as a few old Bears.  The right used Dale Dye might tempt me.

Any loose change I get and the odd dollar bill goes into a five gallon water bottle that is solely designated as a hunting fund.  Once I get enough for a deposit I can usually sweet talk Mrs. Gregg Dudley into increasing my allowance to cover the rest.  Love that woman!

My problem now is that there are child labor laws which prevent my 12 year old hunting partner from earning enough money to pay his own way.  Stupid laws!   :knothead:       ;)
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
If I had a g-note I would give it to the wife to go shopping and then I could go hunt(local of course) till the money is gone and she would think I was the BOMB.would get more that a week or two of hunting from a grand...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I have TWO thousand dollars......I think I'll buy a new PLX AND go hunting with Curtis....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I like to buy and trade bows too...I love to hunt with different bows and setups also...
In my eyes each bow holds some character to it, either from the bowyer or from the person I got it from, even one of yours, Curt, I love that little bow for how it shoots but I also know I have shared in its mojo with you on the journey as I have hunted with it...
I am blessed to have plenty of Good Texas land to hunt for free,and I like to hunt close to home...So if I had $1000, it would be all about a bow...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
From a guy that has never hunted anywhere other than closes to home or never had a high end bow. Boy I think that I would be able to do both. I have always had to do things the cheap way, I make do will a little and do a lot. Lately making a bow has been real appealing to me. I could buy some bow making supplies and be able to buy an out of state tag somewhere. It may seem wierd to some of you but a whitetail hunt is an exotic hunt to a Utah boy. A tank of gas and some potatoes and veggies from the garden. Meat from the frezzer and I am good as gold.  :campfire:

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I'm spending 1k on stika gear, then a little over 1k on camera gear then hoping I draw some good tags!  Might toss a hog hunt or 2 in, finally caught up on bills and the house work!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Chek mate Hunter II and two day bear hunt
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing here lately. I've bought a couple Morrisons the last 2 years and now a MOAB. It's time to start killing some things! Starting next year I have a 3 year plan going. I'm planning a moose hunt, bear hunt, and elk hunt in no particular order. Can't wait!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
If I had all the money in the world I'd buy Montana.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Joe or Hanna?

I don't hunt so I enjoy trying out different bows. Or maybe a camera. I hunt with my camera.

Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Love that pic Greg. But then I'm a sucker for elk.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Im new to trad archery so i went a little wild and ordered several custom bows in that price range. From now on i plan on going on some more paid out of state hunts. I just went through a divorce that was costly so i have had to slow down on my spending. When i get back on my feet there are still some bows i would like to get, man i just love all these different bows.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
I'd do the same thing that i've been doing for the last 23 years,pack my 1 bow and head for my cabin in West Virginia for two weeks. Great deer ,bear , turkey and grouse hunting with my sons and a couple of good friends. I have no desire to buy another bow, my Acadian Woods Recurve gets me a few critters every year
      I also have no desire to hunt elsewhere,Why?? I'm already in heaven!!!!
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©