3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not all Kansas bucks are big  (Read 580 times)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Not all Kansas bucks are big
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
The December 8, 2009 forecast was dismal for my area 28 degrees rain,freezing rain,changing to snow and dropping temperatures. The remainder of the weeks forecast was for the lows to drop into the single digits to zero and daytime highs in the teens to mid 20's with wind. Made me wonder why I had turned down shots when it was warm.To top it off rifle season had started December 2 and the orange army was out stirring the deer up making them crazier than they already were.Thus far it had not been the best or worst season,but was certainly hard to figure out deer patterns.We had an extremely wet year,giving lots of cover and one of the best crop years I've ever seen.The down side was it stayed so wet that the farmers still haven't completed harvest letting the deer live in the corn fields.The normally high activity pre-rut during the 3 rd week of October never happened in the open.I usually see several nice bucks during this period, but this year I only saw a couple of little guys.I've always had a dream of shooting one of the big guys but never have not been able to pull it off.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not all Kansas bucks are big
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
And then....
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Come on Ben! Out with the story!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Starting this at 10:30 in the evening.   :thumbsup:
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
At His age he probably fell asleep at the keyboard. Spit it out Old Man!!!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
bretto if he's asleep, you should be able to hear him!!  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I woke up at 3:30 am with a border collie pawing at my side of the bed.The forecast said the rain should begin around 3:00 and a quick weather check was cold,damp and a light wind out of the ENE.Just perfect for my favorite stand.I have 9 stands set up so I have a good selection no matter which direction the wind is out of.I went back to bed and set the alarm for 5:30. The stand I will be setting is only a half mile north of my house I'll take the four wheeler half way and walk the rest of the way.I've been out some 80 times this season and turned down several shots (3 at two different bucks in one day) so it only stands to reason that I should shoot close to the smallest buck I've seen this year.I walked in about 6:00 it was very dark with all the cloud cover, I don't use a flashlight unless I absolutely have to I always believed that a light is the biggest tip to everything in the woods that something is there that shouldn't be.When I finally got settled in my stand the breeze was dead in my face.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
   This is the stand I'm sitting in this morning. It is in the top left side of the cedars.The tree it is in is small and I have to sit to shoot or it sways all over.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
My Size,, I'd probably take that tree right over,,LOL,,  :biglaugh:
TGMM

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Pulling my hood up and zipping my jacket collar up to my nose helped,but didn't stop the chill in the air from stinging my face.As daylight finally came the wind picked up.I told myself I had two tags to fill and I didn't care buck or doe the first deer to come by would be the one to help fill my freezer.At 8:00 I stood up in my standand turnedto the westto let the wind and mistblow on my back instead of my face .It had been misting long enough that my face mask was soaked.There was a slight movement in the far northwest corner of the far field. This is my view from the stand.I can see about 250 yards to the farthest point, the movement was a buck coming out of the corner .He continued to come my way picking a bit of clover here and there as he took his sweet time but, steadily coming towards me.He finally got within 25 yards but, behind me in an area that I couldn't shoot due to the brush behind me.he continued to stay on the clover buffet line.as he walked to the south now walking away.He was the young 3 pt. I had been calling "Bucky" I had seen him many times during the season chasing does only to have the larger bucks take them away when they were receptive.He then did a 180 and was going to come around the big cedars I was nestled in and would come thru the natural funnel opening in the treeline for the shot I wanted.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Keep typing Ben. I like a small buck story.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
:coffee:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
The stand I am in is a wiggly sun of a gun and is the only stand I have that you have to sit down in to shoot to hold still.I decided that when he went behind the cedar and out of view I would make my move to sit and as I got seated I would draw a practice draw since I had been in the stand for a couple of hours.I drew my bow and he must have went into high gear because he came around the cedar just before I hit full draw. The movement must have caught his eye as he looked straight up at me!I held anchor like what seemed like forever and he decided all was right and began walking again at 18 yards then I released.I prefer to grunt if they are walking and stop them ,but I did this on a 10 pt. I rattled in about three weeks ago at 10 yards and he locked on me  and I finally lost a staredown with him.The arrow made a good hit.He turned ran, I saw good blood spray.About 4-5 seconds later I saw him go down.My winter meat for steak,sausage and jerky was here.I got down from the stand as the freezing rain started in earnest.Walked down to where he layed 120 yards +/- didn't have to follow a blood trail, but it would have been very easy. When I got to him ithanked the lord for a quick and humane kill.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I was wondering when you were going to let this story out. Keep it going buddy.   :thumbsup:   I never knew you could tell a "clean" story. You never stop amazing me!

Wow pictures too...Is your wife helping you post those pictures or are you doing all by yourself?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
         I hate orange but it is required in rifle season.My bow is a 57# 60" Palmer td with 2215 xx78 aluminum arrows, Zwicky Eskimo heads. Ater shooting this buck my Zwicky was still sharp enough to hunt with and it cut ribs going in and out.Notice the spray on the grass behind me.Boy I didn't know I'd take so much abuse from my Tradgang friends. God I love it,LOL.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Great story.  Puuuurfect.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Way to go Buddy. Nice looking young buck I'm sure he'll be good on the table.

I'm on that next deer schedule also.LOL

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Great job Ben!! Congrats Bud!

Offline huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Ben,

Great story! Great buck! It's good to see good people share good storys. Even if they are some bear bait imitating "friends"....

I sure hope you get to be bear bait again some day.
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©