3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizly broadhead questions  (Read 195 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizly broadhead questions
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Thinking of getting some left bevel grizzlys to use out of my [email protected] Elburg Longbow with full length 2117 arrows. I have read Ashby's reports, wondering if the 160 grain heads with this setup will have the same bone breaking properties as the 200 grainers. Opinions?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizly broadhead questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Same bone breaking properties? Sure! They are a little smaller so you'd have to allow for that, but it may mean they penetrate better.

I've used the 160 grain Grizzly in the past and found it to be a tough head and my favorite of the bunch.

If my tastes didn't run to much bigger broadheads, I'd use them all the time.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
"...wondering if the 160 grain heads with this setup will have the same bone breaking properties..."

Thanks, that was good for my first chuckle of the day.  Been hunt'n 40 years and don't recall every "breaking" bones.  I have sliced many a rib in-two though with my Grizzly's.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I used a Grizzly 160 to shoot a pig straight on between the nose and the eye. It went right through then down the throat.  Dead pig with great broadhead.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I was referring to the torqueing twisting effect that Dr. Ashby describes with the El Grande, what i am curious about is if a modified 10 will demonstrate the same characteristics he reported in his writings. That is what I would like comments on, btw just shot a big doe with a muzzleloaer [percussion] up back on my property!

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Grizzlies as well as the other two more expensive single bevel 3/1 heads do indeed split bone.  Interesting pic on one of these sites of an abowyer that completely penetrated an elk vertibra. Two of my whitetails this year were vertibra penetrations: both were 24" recovery trail-straight down. One was cervical vertibrae and the other was both scapula along the medial ridge and throaxic vertibra.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
sure! they are virtually the same as the Ashby head, minus a hundred grains.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©