3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rawhide ?  (Read 242 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Rawhide ?
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
Do any of the sponsors here sell rawhide for building up selfbow handles and making patches for bows?
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rawhide ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
Pine Hollow (Mike Yancey)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Kris,

Not to take any business away from Mike, but pet stores and even WalMart have dog chew bones made of rawhide.... some really big ones too.

Just soak them in some very warm water until they soften up and then unroll. Tack them to a board if you want them flat.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I was wondering about that Charlie. I was wanting to get away as cheap as possible for building up handles cause they get covered up anyway.
thanks
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Hey Stik,

Check your add in the classifieds.  :bigsmyl:  

Oh, and pm me your address.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
IMO, the dog chews are generally too thick for backing or wraps so you will have to thin it a bit. That can be done with a belt sander while it is tacked down. Be sure to thin from the flesh side.
For the handle go to your local shoe repair shop and get a piece(scrap) of shoe sole leather. You can glue it where you want to build up, saturate it with super glue and when hard shape it how you want. I like to wet the leather first so you can mold it to the shape of the handle. While wet use Tite-bond(or other carpenters glue) to glue it the the handle. Wrap it in place with strips of cloth and let it dry overnight.
  Below is an example of the shoe leather used to pack out the back of a bulbous type handle. Instead of cutting it into an oval I now just cut a rectangle and taper both ends before gluing it down. After the glue has dries and the super glue has dries I rasp and sand it to shape.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
That is exactly what I was planning Pat but was gonna do it with rawhide and finish the handle out with overlayed leather and do like you are taliking about. Ought to turn out good, I think I am gonna do the tips with leather to like this.

thanks 4runr, You guys here at the Gang are great. I only hope to be able to give back as much as I have recieved.

Pat I really like that broadhead cover and the bow it's on, Sweet looker right there.
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
For packing out the handle the thicker rawhide would work fine. You can but pieces of rawhide(dog chews) that will work and not have to untie the knot. As with the leather, wet it first then shape it to the handle and glue it down with TB glue. After it's dry it will shape with a rasp without adding the super glue.
  I have used super glue saturated leather for tip overlays too. Works well and makes cool looking overlays.  
  The broadhead cover was a gift from Art Butner. Every hunting bow should have one.
  Charlie, wasn't trying to step on your toes. Thanks for all of your advise and guidance here on TradGang!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©