3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: increasing arrow weight making bow noisy?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: increasing arrow weight making bow noisy?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
What extema312 said + 1.  I have three sets of arrows that bareshaft perfectly and all have fletching wear indicating stiff spine.  My latest set has no fletch wear and also bareshafts perfectly.  If you have good form and the arrows or fletch hit the riser the same your testing will show a perfect match.  They key thing to look for is the fletching wear or shelf padding wear.

Sounds to me like a new string is in order either way.  I would try that first and then adjust head weight after.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks again guys,
I've got a new string on the way. New bow hush and hush puppies.Brass inserts to bring my point weight up another 100 grains if needed. I can bring it up less than that with diffrent weighted inserts as well. Also ordered a new glove.And while I was burning up the credit card I ordered primal dreams and one with the wilderness. That outa do it! LOL.
Thanks!
Brad
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks Ragnarok Forge. I saw it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I have increased my broadhead/insert weight from 245 grns to 275 grns on a 28" 150 Carbon Express Heritage shaft. Total arrow weight is 597 grns. At my draw that comes to about 12 gpp. It has quieted my Shrew CH carbon very noticably and from initial practice made for more consistant shot placement. I have not exceeded 20 yards in practise, but that is about as far as my abilities allow. If I calculated it right, FOC is about 16%.

I was not trying to get to a predetermined FOC or weight- just trying to tune the arrow,(bare shaft method). The reduction in the noise level was just a by-product/pleasant surprize.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Bumping this back up cause I gots questions....   :p  

I got some 100 gr brass inserts this week and put a couple of them in these 2117s this morning. It definetely made the bow quieter. I haven't bareshafted them but they seem to fly straight. Will continue on with the bareshafting after I get a better grasp on whats going on here.

I also downloaded Stu's spine calculator today and thats where the questions start. I also weighed all the components and what I posted at first was a bit off. I'm shooting the aboyer javalina lites at 135gr. with a 75gr steel insert. The aluminum insert is 25 grains for a total point weight of 235. Punching all that in and inputting my bow info of 53# at 28" drawing 28" with a center shot of -1/16" I'm getting a dynamic spine of 62.4 and a required spine of 67.9. That makes the arrow weak doesn't it?

Adding another 75 grains by removing the aluminum insert and installing a 100gr brass insert and I'm getting a dynamic spine of 48.5#   :scared:    :scared:  How can these arrows even fly anywhere close to straight like that?

That is way way weak, isn't it? I'm so confused.... LOL.

Brad

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Back up for the sunday morning crowd. I laid in bed last night thinking about this. Couldn't sleep! Somebody educate me please! LOL
Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©