3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shorter long bows  (Read 653 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Shorter long bows
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I shoot a 64 in. Bear Montana. Been thinking about trying a shorter bow. Some where around 56 or 57 ins. 45-50 @28. Any thoughts about the stabilities of the shorter length. Smoothness, cast any thoughts at all would be appreciated.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shorter long bows
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Butch, my first comment would be--why do you want a short bow?  Just interested or do you hunt in situations where the 64" bow is not working?  The difference you are looking at amounts to 4" difference in limb length for each limb--a significant difference especially in pop-up blind situations.  Unless you hunt in those you may really gain no advantage.  Most people would agree that all things being equal (which they never are    "[dntthnk]"  ) a longer bow will be smoother drawing, more stable and forgiving.  The only real advantage to a really short bow is space saving.  Having said that, I will admit to having two short "longbows"  one a 58" Tomahawk, the other a 56" Miami Valley bow.  They both shoot well, do not give me any finger pinch, but just do not feel as good to me as my longer bows.  I admit I got them to play with and see what the big deal was with short bows.  They really don't do much for me, but I am a guy who loves my 68-70" Hill style longbows so that no doubt has something to do with my feelings.  Probably ifyou are like me, you'll wind up just having to try one out and see for yourself, after all, that's part of the fun    :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
What is your draw length?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
:coffee:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I draw 28ins. Not trying to start any arguments. I just wanted some opinions cause I've never shot a longbow less than 62ins.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Shrew bows
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I have a 58" Kanati that is as smooth as any longbow I have ever shot. Jason Kendal make a great bow. Works well in my blind.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
56-58" is too short if you want a "true" long bow as some would say.  Most LB's I have had were about as short as I could go at 60-62".If you like the short design R/D and hybreads then there are some nice shooting ones that lenght for your draw.  I like my Lost Creek 58" a lot.  A 56" Shrew CH would be sweet.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I have a Shrew Classic Hunter at 54" long. I draw 28 1/4" and it is as smooth as silk. I have no idea how such a short longbow can be so effective and smooth -- I just know that it is.
Try a Shrew or a Kanati. You will like them I am sure.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I have a short Hybrid Morrison Cheyenne bow, 60". Refuse to call it a longbow, too short. As far as how it shoots, closest word is WOW. It's the bow I won't even let my son touch.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
There are times when a shorter bow is a huge advantage. Generally speaking, a 64" bow will be easier for most people to shoot well than a similar 56" bow. I have both. For shooting from a standing position in open areas, I would prefer a 64" bow. From most tree stands and ground blinds, a shorter bow is much more convenient. My Morrison Mini-14 riser with "C" length longbow limbs results in a 56" bow. I also have Shrew Classic Hunters in both 54" and 56". All of those shorter longbows shoot extremely well at my 29.5" draw length. Try a shorter bow and see what you think, but make sure it is a bow designed to be short and still draw smoothly to your draw length. I expect you will like it. That said, 64" bows have been used for everything for decades, and have done everything well.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by SS Snuffer:
I have a 58" Kanati that is as smooth as any longbow I have ever shot. Jason Kendal make a great bow. Works well in my blind.
Me too! Actually, I have two of them, but my 58" 46# Kanati is my go-to bow. It draws smoothly to my 28" draw with absolutely zero stack and zero hand shock. It is whisper quiet and will smoke a 520 grain arrow through a whitetail and into the ground on the other side at any reasonable range.  I have 62" bows and have shot as long as 64" longbows. I have found NO advantage in the longer bows over my Kanati in smoothness, accuracy, silence or anything else. The Kanati works great from the ground, from a tree stand, or from a pop-up blind.

Jason is a great guy and a great bowyer. His bows are VERY reasonably priced. Take a look at JKbows.com.

And no, I don't work for nor am I in any way related to Jason Kendall. I just love his bows!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
I also shoot a Kanati, great bow in my opinion.I see you are in St Clair co,I am in Henry Co. Mo, you would be welcome to shoot my Kanati so you could see if you would like a short long bow.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
You can't beat the offer made by carpenter. That would eliminate any doubts you might have and fairly cheaply too.
In fact it just might pay off in huge dividends, like making a new trad friend and possible hunting buddy.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Carpenter,
That's a very generous offer. I'd like to take you up on sometime. Thanks much.

I was perfectly happy shooting my K-mag. Short as it was it was nice to use. Then I went hunting with Mudd. Started shooting his longbows. Now I'm hooked.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

- Erastus Wiman

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
They can be smooth and have no finger pinch.  The fact is they just won't shoot as good as a longer bow.  BECAUSE the angle from the top of your finger to the top tip and the angle from your bottom finger to the bottom tip puts more string on your fingers with a short bow.  This makes the most important part of the shot - the release more critical.  Viper has a great picture of this in his book.  I believe page 13.

Olympic bows are 70 inches for a reason.  Compounds are shot with releases for the same reason.  All these guys that are shooting soooooo great with their 56 and 60 inch bow, would shoot better with a 64 or longer.

Stay with 64 or go longer it will improve your accuracy.  And that's the name of the game.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I have a 58" Hill Badger.  It is slower than my 64" Tembo.  Both bows are 60# at 26", I draw both 28".  The Badger has a lot less cast than the Tembo, somewhere around 35 yards if memory serves.  That being said, I don't have problems with pinch with either bow.  Also, at hunting ranges of 25 yards or less the Badger performs just as well as my longer bows.  When going through the woods, the shortet bow is much easier to use.  Bill

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

I just LOVE mine....a Solstice longbow built by a member here by the name of Elk Ninja..
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Oh, 47#@28" and 58" tall. It slings a 500 gr. arra pretty good. Not as good as my Gila, though. Longer is better.

I think that one has to take the good with the bad. a sweet shooting long bow is a PITA to carry in the shrubbery, and a short, easy to carry bow is a lot less forgiving..
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey Butch
I just found out that because my new-to-me bow is a longbow I now need  to use a back quiver. Apparently it goes with "the look".  Yahoo! Now I can really look the part of Robin Hood.   lol
I guess we'll need to find a back quiver for you too!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©