3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for Truangle users  (Read 282 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
? for Truangle users
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I have a couple of questions for those of ya'll that use the Truangle sharpening system.  I have just about decided that the Zwickey Eskimo 4-blade is going to be my "go-to" broadhead for deer.  I am looking at different methods than I use now  to sharpen them.  So, here are my questions...
1- Is the "slot" in the file and stone hones wide enough so I can place the main blade in it so I can sharpen the bleeder blades?
2- Which hones do you use and recommend?  (files, stones or diamond)  What are the pros and cons of the one you use?
Thanks for your time and trouble.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for Truangle users
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
I have the diamond,and stones and leather. It works really well on my Zwickey Delta's. I think I used it on some Eskimo's without any problem, but it has been awhile.

I think if I were to buy them again it I would just get the diamond, with the leather strop. Email me if you have any questions.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I use the truangles for my Zwickeys but am a fan of the two blades heads, although I use a jeweler's file(small triangular) file to sharpen the few 4 blades I do have.
 I use the files,fine stone and leather strop and get them scary sharp. With the files use progressively lighter pressure as you change the angle of the blade. Have used them for 15-20 years.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I use the Tru Angle file then coarse and fine stones to sharpen my Zwickey 2- and 4-blade Deltas.  Yes, the groove is wide enough for the blade to move within it.  Two things to keep in mind.  First, you will need to take off some of the metal where the blade is triple laminated near the tip with a hand file before you attempt to sharpen on a Tru Angle file or stone.  Otherwise, the head won't sit flat on the stone its entire length.  Second, the hones work much better with a straight edged blade like a Delta than they do on a convex blade shape like an Eskimo, which requires alternately lifting and lowering the blade on the hone to sharpen its entire length.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Hey ya'll....thank you so much for the reply!  Just the kind of info I was looking for.  Man,I just love Tradgang!  Thanks again.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I built my own true angle with files and two 2x4s cut to a 24 degree angle with a table saw and screwed together and like it. I love the zwickey line and plan on using them next season but am having a time with sharpening them.

This setup works great for the bleeders but not so well for the main blades. I am thinking about building another jig for the main blades with a slightly steeper angle to allow for the bleeders and no space in between the two files. I'll let you know how it goes.

Like Orion said the curved bld of the eskimos does make them harder to sharpen, I plan on trying some 4 bld no-mercies to see if I like them better.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
I use Tru Angle and it is a very good sistem to have scary sharp Zwickeys,I can ask more.I use the files first and then diamond,fine stone and the strop.But you can't work on the bleaders the same way.They advise to sharp your bleeders on the sides before sharpening the main blades.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Super K I misunderstood your first question.  The slot is wide enough to allow the bleeder blade to travel down it's channel without touching anything so you can sharpen the main blades. It is not deep enough to insert the main blades to sharpen the bleeders.  I sharpen the bleeders by pulling them across the outside edges of the stone.  In short, I use the outside edge of the jig's stone like a flat stone for the bleeders.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
I have em' all, K.

With an out of the package Magnus (what I normally use) I start with a few passes on the S-24 file to establish the angles (this will also sharpen them plenty good enough to go to the strop), then a few passes on the diamond hone, then finish up on the strop...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©