3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Water proof boots??  (Read 605 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Water proof boots??
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Hello all I have a pair of Danners; I love the fit, comfort. They were advertised as 100% waterproof. Now I don’t know what the definition of 100% waterproof is to boot companies but to me it means your feet wont get wet    :saywhat:    less water over the top of the boot and filling it. The problem I have is simply walking through wet grass I get soaked feet from the ankle down the top of the boot is dry because my pant leg keeps the water off of it.

Is this normal?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Water proof boots??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
gaiters.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
How long have you had them, Rick?  Leather(even gore tex lined) doesn't stay waterproof forever and needs to be retreated regularly with a conditioner/waterproofing agent.  Nikwax and montana pitch blend are a couple options to try.  I'm sure there are others.  
  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I've tried alot of different 100% waterproof boots including Danners and if it's leather, it will leak sooner or later. Yes, my feet got wet from the grass too. You can treat them with sealer such as Snow Seal but they'll leak in short order.

I went with leather tops and rubber bottoms. Now my feet stay dry other than sweat.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I've got a pair of Meindls and one leaks.  Have had several pairs of Danners and they all leaked eventually.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
It's pretty nomal especially if you are wearing the Danners with a nylon/cordura upper.  Even more normal if your Danner's aren't one of the few models that are still made in the USA.  

I have a pair of Danner's (all leather and made in the USA) that are pretty darn waterproof.  It takes a couple of days of wet hunting to start leaking.  I use Obenauf's.

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
If your at all interested in leather tops and rubber bottoms, check out Hoffman Boots. They have a web site and they make high quality boots.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
There about one year old, treated twice so far with a silcone type water proofing spray and they are made in china. Have had the problem from the start.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Should have sent them back in the beginning. try sno seal that stuff makes a sponge waterproof.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
LL Bean boots!!!! I do a lot of bird hunting, wich involves walking/running constantly,and the woodcock often hang out in swamps:( and when its a dewy morning, you can get soaked to the bone! but the Maine hunting boots, with are waterproofed, keep my feet dry.  they will keep waterout as long as you dont go over the tops.  I am going to start getting them insulated, becase they are preety cold otherwise
check them out on L.L. Bean's website.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Ill give the sno seal a try.

Thanks guys.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
You might also try the sno-seal silicon treatment + the sno-seal,it will help carry the sno-seal into the leather after you warm  and apply it. I am in the mud and water all summer and in 30 + years I have tried it all and the sno-seal +  the silicon seems to be the best combo Iv'e tried. And yea the other guys got it,they will all leak later no matter what!
John

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Lacrosse burlies. 18 inches of rubber.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I have the Lacrosse they are great you just need a boot dryer I am out every day hunting with my Gos hawk in all weather I also use them bow hunting.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
I am with the Steve and BA.  If I really want waterproof it is my Lacrosse boots.  Grange for early season and spring turkey, and Burley's later with good wool socks.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Im also with 18in burlies, you cant go wron with these boots.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Nixwax is the best.  Be carefull with petroleum based waterproofers, they clog the leather pores and make your boots less waterproof.  Use animal base like mink oil.  I use Limmer boot grease and it works better than anything except for the nixwax paste imho.  You have to order the Limmer boot grease but you can pick up the nixwax at most hiking stores.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
hey guys. How warm are the burleys. I have the granges and love them. Do the burleys have thinsulate in them and are they comfortable to walk in?
Jim

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
As far as I know, the test the companies use if you try returning a boot saying it leaks is to take the dry boot and fill it with water and set it aside to see if any leaks out.  If not, they consider it "water proof".  In my personal experience, there is no such thing as a water proof leather boot and no such thing as waterproofing for leather.  There are products that slow down the water but none stop it.  Gore tex lined boots are water proof but it's not the leather keeping it out, it's the gore tex.  After extended wear, the gore tex starts to break down at pinch points and creases.  Waterproofing at that point only slows down the inevitable.

As for treating the leather, I've tried snow seal, mink oil, neets foot oil, vaseline, montana pitch blend, shoe polish, silicone, and just about every other water proofing goop I've ever found for sale.  I've even made my own home made stuff.  I don't even think of any of them as water proofers any more.  They are leather conditioners with the possible exception of silicone which doesn't condition and resists water about the best.  The real purpose of all the goop type stuff is to maintain or restore softness and flexibility after the leather has gotten wet and then dried.

If you try to test water proofing at home by running water in the sink and over the boot, it'll look like it works great.  Too bad rain water acts differently.  Rain drops will practically soak right in on some leathers that are supposedly waterproofed.  Especially on something like suede with silicone treatment.

Also, when you go out hunting, you walk through brush and grass that works on your boots about like touching the inside of a tent during a rain storm.  Not to mention all the little scratches and abrasions marks you get on the leather that lets water right in.

If you want water PROOF, use rubber boots.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
If your Danners are leaking then you won't find a boot that will be waterproof enough for you.

Unless:

You buy knee high rubber boots by Lacrosse or Muck.

LL Bean boots are great if you are walking on level ground , otherwise the ground will fly up and hit you in the arse  :)  I wouldn't give you a nickle for all of them for hunting here in Appalachia.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©