3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver ? on the bow ..or off opinions  (Read 538 times)

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver ? on the bow ..or off opinions
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
I always like the idea of having a quiver on my bow for 2 reasons...Quick arrow access, and one less thing to carry in the woods.Although i really like the "clean light feeling of a bow all natural"..... so any opinions
  :campfire:  Thanks
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Quiver ? on the bow ..or off opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
sure, probably at least 22000+ opinions right here at trad gang.  the thing about opinions of others is just that - what someone else thinks, not you.  

quiver types are both subjective and personal.  only way to know what works best for you is to test trial.  other than that, yer just gonna get a large list of who likes what, and THEIR reasons why.

in the spirit of yer question, for hunting other than small game, an ultra light bow quiver that holds at least 4 bullets works best for ... me.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
I have used a bow quiver for 50 years but that is what works for me. Try it along with a back quiver and a side quiver and see what works for you. Good Luck and keep em sharp.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Some of my bows (just a couple) feel good with a quiver on them, others I can't stand a quiver on.  Funny, but I go by how a given bow feels.  I have a thing for quivers and love trying different ones but find myself gravitating more and more just to my back quiver.  It seems to work better better for me in more situations than most of the rest.  There is no perfect quiver--they all have their pros and cons.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
I have one on my kingfisher and I'm still trying to decide if I like it.  Just hate to pay so much and not use it.  I like the idea of my arrows right there but makes for a pain when traveling.  (In vehicle that is.)  Plus I think my bow looks cleaner with out it.. Oh well cant decide my self.   :knothead:
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
If you use one, be sure to tune and practice with it in place, with the same number of arrows you use in the field. Depending on the bow and the weight of the loaded quiver, it can affect the spine you need.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I have hunted with both and to be honest for me the dogware side quiver is hard to beat . I like the thunderhorn boa but just can't give up my dogware . It does everything I need and arrow access is fast and easy.  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I like the Eagles Flight for a bow quiver.  Extremely light weight, and keeps the natural feel of the bow as close as I have found.
You can find them in the sponsors list.
Other than that,  I like a one arrow holder on the bow and a back quiver.
Good luck finding what works for you!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I use a back quiver only,When i was lost and shooting a wheelie I couldn't stand having the mounted quiver.Took it off soon as I got in the tree I feel anything on my bow will just be one more factor in my shooting to have to deal with or blame a miss on.But it is ultimately what works and fits your needs.Be ready, the cost of trying different styles can be expensive.So try to borrow different gear to see what works for you.Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I just received an Eagles Flight that I am going to try out.  I have a back quiver that I like for target shooting, and an old hip quiver I modified to an Asbell style.  I decided to go to a bow quiver because it simplified what I need to keep track of, and deal with.  sometimes I hunt with a climber, then i need to attach the back quiver to it on the way in, take it off, lift it up, find a place for it in the tree stand, etc.  Figure it the arrows are attached to the bow it will simplify things.  We'll see if I like it when shooting.  It sure is light and looks great on the bow.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I have the same problem, some days it's on and others it's off. I like having the arrows at my finger tips but seem to shoot a hair better with the quiver off. I also don't like having to carry one more thing into the woods IE quiver off. I can say that last year having the quiver off my bow and fumbling around for arrows cost me a second shot at a turkey. Bottem line for me for hunting is quiver on I guess. LOL

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Eagle Flights Quiver, i keep it on while hunting and for me it helps me hold the bow steady and i believe it makes my bow quiter.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
I agree with Rob, that it is all up to the individual. I don't know that there is one perfect solution. My favorite is probably my Eagle's Flight four arrow bow quiver. It is so light, it has little effect on the feel of the bow. The new ones have an improved attachment system that I think I'll order.

I have a Thunderhorn Linx that is a fine quiver. It works well on my recurves, but it's just a tad heavy for my lightweight Kanatis. It just seems to throw off the balance on them. The plus side is the bar between the hood and arrow clip keeps the halves from sliding apart.

I haven't tried a back quiver. The thought of jabbing razor sharp broadheads down my back gives me the willies! I have a side quiver from Raptor Archery. It works okay, but the area I hunt is full of buck brush, gooseberries, and multiflora rose bushes, things that grab onto whatever you carry. With a bow quiver, I can just hold my bow overhead. With the side quiver I was constantly fighting to drag it through the brambles.

If you can try several, that would be a good plan.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I like a bow quiver for both of the reasons you stated....but I also luv them for the weight they add to a bow. For me it's makes for an easier bow to shoot. I want the weight    :thumbsup:

I've been bowhunting for 32 yrs. and have never used anything but a bow quiver. I've never seen any reason to use anything else.

I'll be building a self bow this winter with the help of TG'er "Glenbo"... and I even plan to use one on it...probably and EFA....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
My 2 cents worth.  I use a removeable quiver that i take off my bow during the hunt.  The benefit is less for me to catch on the stand, tree limbs, leg, etc...when in the tree stand but the convience of carring my bow and arrows in one package.  Bought a nice leather back quiver but did not like trying to move through woods with it or trying to carry a stand on my back with it.  So my back quiver is for the range and back yard and my great northern adustable quiver is for hunting.  I remove it (strap it to my stand or tree where i can get to a 2nd arrow if i need one) when i get situated in the stand for the hunt.

Michael

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Asbell type side quiver.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
I'm with GURU on this one, arrow access is great but I like mine solely for the extra weight. It seems to keep my bow hand deader for the shot.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
My bow quiver is merely to carry the arrows when I am hunting.  As soon as I get to where I an hunting, off it goes.  It is a hassle at the range.

At the range and roving, I have used a plains quiver, but the arrows fall out often when I bend over to pick one up.

My back quiver is too noisy for hunting and don't want my broadheads rubbing together.  Besides in warm weather it makes me sweat too much.

Safari Tuff and Dawgware seem like good ideas, but I don't want to pay and not like it.

GFA seems like a good idea.

So far I haven't found the perfect solution.

So, I have a range quiver and either a GFA or bowquiver for hunting.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I use a bowquiver on my longbow. Have used one for years. For me it is simply the best way to carry arrows when I am hunting. Over the years I have used a back quiver, catquiver, sidequiver on a possibles bag and I keep coming back to the bowquiver. During the summer months, shooting 3D's or other things I do take it off but during hunting season it goes on and stays on. I can shoot with or without it without a problem. I do think the extra weight helps me hold steadier.
Question for some of you guys..... If you take your bowquiver off when you get in a stand what do you do if you are stalking or stillhunting or chasing elk or deer in the west from the ground?
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I have tried a bunch,hip,side, bow, back,cat,and a few more...it all depends on what your hunting, how many arrows you want to bring,and what you like......I'm still not sure whats best!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©