3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old age and draw length  (Read 573 times)

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Old age and draw length
« on: December 13, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Now that I that I'm to the point the I can see age 60 coming around the corner,has anyone else noticed a decrease in their draw length? I've been shooting a solid 29 inch draw length for as long as I've been shooting. Lately I've been having trouble with good arrow fight out of the same bow that I've been shooting forever. I had the wife do a measure at full draw 10 times and now I've come up (or down ) to 27 inches,everything feels the same,anchor point and such. Anyone else notice this? --Thanks 1Longbow

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old age and draw length
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Could be due to what I call compression. Might want to try a weaker spined arrow or reduce bow poundage?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I just turned 62 and have had a 27" draw for years.  After attending Rod Jenkins shooting clinic this past summer and have him critique my form, I've increased my draw almost 2 inches.   :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Speaking as one who has to turn around and look back at the corner to see 70, I'd say yes.  I don't have a geriatric medicine degree to back this up, but it just makes sense.  Muscles are springs, operating by tension vs. relaxation.  As you get older you aren't as strong, because some of the tension goes out of the springs.  If the springs aren't as springy, your movements are shorter.   I know my normal walking stride is shorter than it used to be and it makes sense that some of the things I do with my arms would also come up shorter.  Heck, I AM shorter, my height is down almost an inch and a half from when I was I was in my prime (hmm.. was that last week or last month?  My memory is shorter, too.)  My overall pure strength is way down, but that's age plus a medical reaction, so I'm shooting lighter.   However, looking at the bright side, I have lots more time and I'm enjoying it as much as ever... or more.   There, I've explained the future to you.  Don't thank me, just adjust your shooting and keep enjoying it.  And remember, as Satchel Paige said, "Never look back.  Somethin' might be gaining on you."
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
At 61 As long as I draw through the shot my draw length stays just under 30". Remembering to do that is the problem...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Could it be just strength and you are not expanding all the way?  Maybe it is time to drop a few pounds so you can fully expand your chest and pull in your shoulders?  That makes a big difference for me.  I was shooting today and my shooting was going all wrong.  I realized I was tired and when I checked my arrow on the bow I saw I was not getting to full draw.  I concentrated on expending and pulling in my shoulder blades, and I was back up to draw length and shooting much better again.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Who are you and why do you keep sending me messages? If 55 is the new 35 then someone screwed up the Math!
Rod Jenkins= longer draw length and more fun shooting. I shoot more and I'm more consistent. Grab that Masters of the Barebow 3 and follow the steps. Get to a clinic and see if it changes. Getting older doesn't have to mean getting shorter, I blame that on my surgeries!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I am 5'10" at 62 years old and I used to be 5'11" I also weight a lot more now than when I was younger. Short and fat er
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers.owlbait ,I've never sent you a message,that I can recall if that was directed at me--1Longbow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
At 61 I draw the same as I did at 51. However, I shoot less draw weight most of the time. I now have to work harder to draw over 60#, which was no problem at 51. My body like 50# much better than 65# these days, and I have fewer aches and pains with the lighter draw.

On the other hand, I don't feel like I've reached "old age" yet, either!   :)  Listen to some of these guys like Dick who are past 70 and still shooting. I hope to be there in another decade.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
My experience has been the same as Don's, though I'm a few years older.  My draw length hasn't changed, but my bow weight has.  I still have one heavy bow, which I use mostly to exercise/work out.  Definitely have a more difficult time drawing that to my normal draw length, and after 15-20 shots with it, I can eel my draw shortening.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
LONGBOW THAT WAS A SHOT AT MYSELF AND MY FADING MEMORY AS I GET OLDER. I TEACH 3rd grade, and I can't concentrate like i use to. Sometimes I forget the cap lock! The serious part was that I increased my draw length this year because of learning and practicing differently then in the past.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I think AARP has a draw length to age chart in the magazine this month...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm 72, and I hope my draw length doesn't shrink, cuz I never could draw more than 27". While we're on the subject am I the only one that feels long arms are an advantage in archery. Seems like a lot of the great shots are guys pulling 30" ot more. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
       Larry

Offline jerry r baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
yes the older we get our body compresses
i just think of it as a nother blessing

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
am I the only one that feels long arms are an advantage in archery. Seems like a lot of the great shots are guys pulling 30" ot more. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
Larry  
Howard Hill had a 27" draw.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I have used the word "compression" numerous times to explain why I don't pull 29" like it used to be. I really believe that age (66 yrs.) can cause a shorter draw length as well as being over bowed. However, the biggest change was when I had to open my stance because of the glasses I wore.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Aha!!!!  Not trying to hyjack your thread, but 2fletch may have just given me an answer.  
I recently went to glasses, and I am tearing up my nose pretty bad.  Maybe opening up my stance will help my nose to heal up.
Ken Thornhill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm almost 58,I draw 29". I'm going to the Dr. in 10 minutes to see the results of a MRI on my shoulder.My draw may change shortly....lol.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I think it may have more to do with being over bowed then loosing draw length. As we age we loose muscle mass and strength.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©