3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow arrow setup ?  (Read 238 times)

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
longbow arrow setup ?
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I am using stu millers arrow calc.What number do I put in for arrow offset from center.I have a hill style longbow and it has very little for a shelf.I know its no where near center but is it a negative number or a pos. number I should be putting there in the calc?I didn't understand the directions.Also should I put a rest(I have a bear hair rest I could use) on that tiny shelf or leave it bare?Thanks Ricky

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow arrow setup ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
I hope its right, but on my Martin Savannahs I measured from the center to the strike plate and got 1/4" positive ( + ) On My Martin Hunter it came out as "0". Does this sound right to everybody?
John

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
You probably want some sort of rest besides bare wood.  You can use leather, bear hair, the fuzzy side of velcro, seal fur, moleskin etc.

Sorry, I don't know about you r question for Stu's calculator .  I've tried to load the thing a bunch of times but don't have anything on my computer that can read it I guess.  If they ever make it a regular web page with easy access I'll be all over it but I guess till then I'll figure out my spine the old fashioned way.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Positive number. Just find the center of the bow, or middle of the handle, stick a ruler on that point, and measure from that mark to the outside edge of the strike plate, where your arrow will sit.
I get 1/4" on my Hill bow.

There's a little picture in the PDF instruction file on the download page.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Craig Ekin says that the Hill bows he makes are cut to 1/8th -- soooo +1/8 for Stu's calsulator.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
That would be "calculator".
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Yup, positive number.
I usually use a ruler placed perpendicular to the bow (that's crossways to all you non-technical folks  :)  and just below the shelf.  
1. Figure out how wide the whole bow is just below the shelf.  Divide this number by two.
2. Figure out how wide the bow is at the shelf, including the rest you have on there (leather, velcro, a nice piece of bacon, whatever you're using).
3. Subtract the number you got in step one from the number you got in step two.  That's a positive number in your case and is the number you use in the calculator.

Example:  step 1. You measure your right handed bow at two inches just below the rest.  Divide this by two to get one inch.  That's where the center of your bow is.
step two. you measure your bow (from the right side of the bow to the edge where the sight window starts) and get right at 1.5 inches.  
step three. subtract one inch from 1.5 inches to get half an inch.  enter +0.5" into the spine calculator.

Clear as mud?  I hope I helped.

Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©