3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rabbits in the snow  (Read 389 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Rabbits in the snow
« on: December 13, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
So I am thinking about some rabbit hunting this winter.  I have never hunted them seriously with a bow in the snow.  What is the best point to use in hopes of having arrows to shoot before the thaw?  I have some judo's, and hex heads, but would rubber blunts be better at making the arrows jump up and stay where I can find them?  Is it better to wait until the grounds gets frozen so the arrow bounce up better?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rabbits in the snow
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Use the hexheads, they will work fine.  If you are taking running shots where you could lose arrows in the snow, I would use hexheads and a flu-flu.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Father-in-law gave me about 100 old arrows. Went over by Burns, OR during a jackrabbit boom.  Put .38 emptys on some.  Others just field points.  Took me till noon the first day to lose all of them.

Have fun.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Bright fletchings on pink or fluorescent green arrows. The judo heads stop the arrow in brush faster than any other head but nothing stops them in snow, except to loose a few. When you do bury an arrow follow the track it makes in the snow, use your foot or a branch to sweep back and forth across the track and keep going for several feet or even yards past where the track ends. The arrow will pop up when you hit it with your foot.

I use whatever cheap junk arrows I can find NOT the expensive big game arrows. Your not shooting very far and penetration isn't an issue. If the snow is more than about 8 inches deep your going to loose a few, only way around it is switch to a shotgun or .22.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Loss of expensive arrows when the snow is 2' to 3' deep, was a little hard to swallow.  Yep, gave up winter hunting of Hare with a bow, 18 years ago.  Been getting the urge to try again as it sure was a lot of fun.  Guess I am going to have to take up arrow making, dang it all!  Ah well, been meaning to anyway.
Best Wishes

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Sounds like I need to wait on the nice warm-up days when the snow melts down some . Always found those the best days anyway.  That or take close shots in cover where I will get less skip and slide.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
Not only that, but, Judo's are LOUSY small game heads. They stop great in the brush, but for some reason I have found that they just don't get the killin' done.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I don't know about that.  Probably not great for squirrel, but I've killed a bunch of grouse with judo tips.  Rabbits aren't real tough either.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I've had judo blow right through a rabbit. Thought I missed until I piccked up the arrow. He ran off a little ways. I have been using the hammer heads and hex heads both work well

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Put a little blue carpentry chalk on your feathers and it will levee a blue streak in the snow. Jerry
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Judos seem alright for rabbit to me.  Wouldn't use them on squirrel.  The hex and hammer blunts work well too.  The main problem around here lately is finding rabbits.  My last couple of rabbit trips have turned into stump/leaf pile trips.
Silence is golden.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Now that's a great tip, Jerry.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
I have had jackrabbits run off with a judo tipped arrow before. I just use an old broadhead for them.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Jerry........that's cool I'm going to try that the next time I go out.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Jerry beat me to it.  I've never done it but I've heard of guys doing it and they say it works well but is a little messy.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
@ $10.00 "+" per arrow I can handle messy

:biglaugh:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
Hey G.B.
I love it when you're Scottish blood starts to show itself!!..lol From one of Highland decent to another. Now where's you kilt? I happen to have an extra you can borrow. I'm willing to bet theat sight would freeze them for sitting shots. I know it works for me..lol

God bless,Mudd

PS Just try digging that mental image out of your brain.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
If I'm hunting in deep snow I expect to lose the arrows.  I also expect to have more good shots at rabbits that aren't moving as quickly or get bogged down.  Usually I'm using leftover arrows from previous seasons or rejects.

Ahh, the memories  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©