3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Very Frustrated!  (Read 895 times)

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Very Frustrated!
« on: December 13, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Well Gang,
I recently posted my first trad kill. A big doe that I spine shot.
Well, since then I have missed four deer! All under 20 yards! I had a pretty 7pt come in feeding and stop broadside at 13 yards and I slung one right over his back! I took out a field put arrow and shot it at my arrow that missed the deer and nearly hit it. Hmmmm....

Well yesterday I'm on the public land and here comes this doe and yearling. They come in and I wait for a good shot at the doe. Finally she comes in to 18 yards and I stop her with a mouth bleat and draw, anchor, release! Yep, you guessed it, right over her back!
They run only a short distance then settle down and ease back in. The doe steps into the clear and I aimed low thinking they are jumping the string. I hit her but she was wheeling and it hits her forward near the neck. She drops instantly! She stayed down for nearly a minute then kicks forward with her back legs a few times then gets on all fours and stumbles away. I watch her for as far as I can. I figure she won't go far. while waiting a lil spike comes in. We can legally take a buck and doe in the same day so I take a 13 yard shot at him. Right over his back! Dangit man! I get another arrow knocked as he only hopped off a piece and he takes a few steps back and I shoot again about 17 yards and miss again! I'm out of arrows now!
So I get down and trail the doe. Found my arrow with the muzzy phantom broken to pieces. No blood since it was raining and no deer to be found. I went back out this morning and looked some more to no avail.
I can hit my deer target every time in the vitals at home. How come I can't hit a live one?
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very Frustrated!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
A sure sign that your not picking a spot and concentrateing on it is shooting over. Pick a spot and concentrate on it till the arrow gone.

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Pretty simple really..You are picking a spot on your target at home..In the excitement of the hunt you don't...Age old problem that has happened to about everybody at one time or another...
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Dont worry man, lol i have the same problem.  Slow it down, u and i both are gettin WAYYY to excited.  Ive even started lettin a few deer walk, just so they are in their n i look at em and get calmed down.  You and i both probally pick a spot n then forget about it as we rush to shoot.  I think we are tryin to hard.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Yeah, you all are right i'm sure. I kind of feel that is what's happenning but it is hard to do in the heat of the moment! lol I just got through shooting arrows for an hour with a buddy of mine who has never seen a deer in the wild while on stand. Until this morning. I set him up in a funnel and he had two does come in and he got so shook up he missed at 5 yards!
 I told him welcome to the club! lol
 We should have three deer down in two days. It's a learning experience!
I wanted to give up, but I know the rewards are much greater once it all comes together.

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
You need to spend some time among the deer to get used to their presence.  Then, maybe, you will decide to pick a spot before you shoot 8^). That's the trouble right there.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Try this, draw back and pick a spot but DON'T shoot, let bow down, relax, smile, enjoy, then repeat process and release. I think Mr. George nailed it, you are worrying more about shooting than picking "the" spot. You are putting to much pressure on yourself to shoot, watch them for a couple minutes, the hunt will be more enjoyable and you it will help you calm down. Hope this helps.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by peak98:
Try this, draw back and pick a spot but DON'T shoot, let bow down, relax, smile, enjoy, then repeat process and release. I think Mr. George nailed it, you are worrying more about shooting than picking "the" spot. You are putting to much pressure on yourself to shoot, watch them for a couple minutes, the hunt will be more enjoyable and you it will help you calm down. Hope this helps.
i think you nailed it my friend! Drawing focusing on a spot then letting down would be a positive. Now actually being able to do it is another thing lol! Instinct takes over and the arrow takes off lol

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a lot of deer.That is a big plus.I missed some deer last year.Not picking a spot can become a habit if it's not addressed.Experience is a big help and with lots of deer you will be a pro in no time.Good luck
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Your seeing deer...thats good. Next time your out, let one of them come in close, get ready pick a spot on its side in the vitals and then... pass up the shot, thats right let her or him go. Get relaxed to them being around and then next time do the deed!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
heck that's nothing, I missed five shots in one day at does a few years ago.  Came home and practiced my butt off all week in the treestand in the front yard.  Pick a spot, draw, drop eyes to bottom of chest, release.  Over and over I shot, connie retrieved arrows for hours.

Finally I had it down.  Off I went and saturday morning I sat and watched does and a nice buck feeding just out of range.  When they moved off, I went to another pasture where I'd seen a huge buck.  I hunkered down in a root wad and rattled.  Here he comes on a string.  Goes behind a big ash tree and I get ready.  He steps out and I go on automatic, Pick a spot, draw, drop eyes to bottom of chest, release.  Shot right under the biggest buck of my life.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Next time you get a shot Draw down and hold, then let down, don't shoot. Try get used to the deer being within killing range, drawing, picking a spot etc Evaluate what would have happened if you had let the string go? where you on? where you going to drop your arm and peak? Did you pick a spot? etc
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Don't you just love the wisdom.The boys got you fixed up in no time.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I'm to new here to be giving much advice but what these guys are suggesting sure helped me a bunch.
About 3 weeks ago I had a doe come in and spend over an hour under and around my stand. Since its bucks only right now. I spent that hour drawing on this doe, picking a spot and letting down. Everytime she would look away or step behind a tree or bush I'd draw, pick that spot, and let down.Must have drawn on her 30 times in that hour.
The next weekend in the same stand I had a little 6 point come in. Very little buck fever. All I remember seeing was his front right elbow. I picked it, and hit it.
keep at it, You'll get it.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
When we say spot  -  we mean a little tiny spot- if you can see a hair missing shoot for that- the smaller the spot; the better.

Nutter thing - are you shooting from the ground when you practice; and from a treestand when you hunt ? You might want to take a couple practice arrows with you to where you hunt; and shoot them from you are getting shots at the deer.

When you lean over; and don't bend at the waist; to shoot from a stand; it can totally throw off your shot.

I would take a paper plate; put it above the ground right where you are expecting a shot; and get hunkered in and shoot at the paper plate.
 You might be surprised at what happens.

Nutter thing; is that with all those shots and deer- your getting some adrenaline going; so you will really have to concentrate on your form; your anchor points and such.

When ever you hit a deer in the spine; follow up with an immediate shot to its vitals; like as soon as you can put an arrow on the string.

You are practicing with the same arrows as you are hunting with? Broadheads fly different than field points.....

Keep your broadheads really sharp- and get totally serious when you get a shot. Concentrate....

Good luck - we all miss or suffer from 'convenient Alzheimer's  '   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I haven't been shooting out the treestand like I should. I have shot some out the tree but most of my practice has been on the ground and using my fieldpoints. I hunt from a treestand.
I did shoot my broadheads before hunting and they were hitting on target.
My hunting broadheads are new and very sharp Bought 4 packs before the season. All of them haven't hit the dirt yet lol

Today I shot from the ground and as usual I'm shooting well.
I hung a stand in the back yard and didn't shoot to well. I was hitting low out the tree. Just below the deer target, right behind the front leg.
I worked on it until I was hitting in the vitals.
Shot for two hours with an hour break between.
Will practice more tomorrow.
You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice and support!

Corey

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm frustrated too, but I have another reason.  I've been out five times this season, but I haven't had a shot.  I've seen a dozen deer, but they always seem to be just out of range or smart enough to keep some limbs in the way.

Oh well, I soothe my frustration by taking it out on stumps when I come out of the woods.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Don't you just love the wisdom.The boys got you mixed up in no time.
There, fixed it fer ya.....

*ducking for cover*
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Dumb question but do you practice shooting at home with your hunting clothes on. You could be getting clearance issues. Only way to know is by real practice.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
My guess is you're pulling your concentration off right before you release.  You almost hit your arrow stuck in the ground because you kept concentration because no pressure and a tiny spot(nock).

Don't forget to bend at the waist on the tree stand shots.  Sometimes just a little sometimes a lot.  You will shoot high then a lot times.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©