3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: camo for javelinas  (Read 706 times)

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
camo for javelinas
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I am going on a javelina hunt next month and was wandering Is camo really needed for javes or can I get away with plain green pants and a flannel thanks Joe

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: camo for javelinas
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Their eye sight does not seem to be that great. You should be fine and remember that they are not a whitetail and be agressive when stalking. You should not have a problem getting close.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Move slowly and use the wind; I have been within three yards of some of them before they figured out they might be in danger.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline barredfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I've hunted javelina for the past five years in West Texas.  I wear jeans covered with brush proof nylon.  They are a little noisey but helps with cactus.  Like the others have said, their eye sight is not that great, but they have a good nose.  If you stalk into the wind, you can smell them before you see them which will help.  Just move slow and you can have very close shots.  Every one that I have shot was 10 yards or lots less.

Great critters to bow hunt.....have fun.

Jerry

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I would bring a couple camo T shirts  one primarily green one primarily brown.  If it is dry wear one if it is lush green wear the other.
ChuckC

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Keep the wind in your face and mmmoooooovvvveeee ssslllooowwwwwlllyyy, they do have prety poor eye sight but they will see you if you blink or move fast in any way shape or form....

Enjoy the hunt
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Footballs are pretty easy to hunt...just go get 'em. Don't wear big crunchy boots.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
On my recent hunt with Curtis, he told me camo wasn't necessary, but when I showed up with a white hat, he recommended I get rid of that, so I got a camo hat.  The white was pretty glaring 8^)  The area was sandy soil and lots of mesquite, so dark green chino pants and dark sweatshirt of tee were fine.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I killed my first javelina over 30 years ago. I fell immediately in love with these unique creatures and have interacted with them every chance I've had since. There truly is no other creature like them.

Fisrt of all I want to outline the javelinas home range and characteristics. Their home range is very small. They seem to live in small bands that range from two or three all the way to 50 or more in a pack. They'll spend their entire life in a very small area measuring less than 1/4 mile if food and water are available. If you see javelina in an area it is likely that you'll see them in the same general area daily or at least weekly. This makes them easy to target and also for easy demise of the entire herd if hunted hard.

Javelina only have two offspring per year from what I've seen. Most of the time only one of the offspring survive to see adulthood.

Javelina have the poorest eyesight of any animal I've ever hunted although they can spot movement at an easy 100 yards. I'm not sure if it's the lack of eyesight or the inability for their tiny brains to comprehend what they are looking at. If they've seen you move they'll likely become statuesque with one front leg frozen at half step as they gaze directly at with with their hackles raised high on their back. This leads the hunter to believe he's been spoted and the layman hunter will think he's about to encounter the famed "charge".   :scared:  It simply isn't going to see you if you remain frozen just the way the javelina has. He will completely forget he's seen you if you remain still for a minute or two, even at very short distances. He'll simply carry on like nothing has happened. Sometime the herd will run into the brush triggering the hunter to get up and give chace. The javelina has just beat you at the game! One or several herd member will be just inside the brush waiting to see if a predator is giving chase. Within a few minutes to a half hour the javelina generally return if you've not jumped up to give chase. They always return! It's the chase that generally guarantee's that you won't see the herd again for numerous days or even a weeks.

Javelina have a very tiny kill zone and shots absolutely have to be placed very low and very tight of you will encounter a very long trail with only a very minimal few drops of blood. The biggest mistake I see is that guys try and track a javelina too soon after making a marginal shot. The animal generally jumps from his bed where he would have died and he'll run a great distance before bedding down again. DON'T RUSH A TRACKING JOB!!!!!! Nothing in nature eats a javelina from what I've seen. As long as the night is cool the meat will keep. It's far better to find your trophy than it is to drive him away from the spot he'd have died in. Exercise patience first and foremost!  :readit:  

If you shoot a leader of the pack the pack will sometime stand guard and will defend your trophy. Be very careful or things can get ugly quick!!! Many ,many guys have thought that they were being attacked after they've shot a javelina because they will most likely run a circle popping their teeth and end up running into the place where you are hiding. Remember, they cannot see and they have no idea you are there unless you secumb to fear and start to move. You may very well provoke an attack by accident.

It's been my experience that camo just isn't necessary at all while hunting javelina. I generally wear a pair of regular blue jeans and a green wool shirt while hunting javelina. Hogs on the other hand can see almost exactly what a human sees. You will have to be much more cautious when hunting hogs.

When hunting javelina the main thing to remember is that movement of any kind will likely be seen but not comprehended. Pick a spot to make your shot and commit to that spot. If you are using bait there is absolutely no reason to shoot beyond 10 yards. They will walk within a few yards of you if you will be patient. I like to say "hunt them on your terms, don't hunt him on his terms". If you do this I guarantee you'll be taking home and awesome trophy!  :thumbsup:  

If I can help with any other info just ask. I'm not the most javi savy guy in the world but I have spent a lifetime in pursuit of them here in south and southwest Texas and also Arizona. Can't wait to do it all again in the new year.  :campfire:   CK

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
They don't see well, but have an excellent sense of smell. We had one here that was eating squash from our garden. (What the hey---turnabout is fair play, LOL!) He could not see us, but when he smelled us, he took off. They eat prickly pear cactus and especially love the fruits of them. They also eat a certain type of mushroom that's not deadly to humans, but would make you think you're going to die. Evidently, they don't affect javelina.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks Curtis, hope your feeling better ,thats about the best info I could ask for, cant wait to get down there and hunt with you. Joe

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Listen to Curtis, he IS the most "javi savy' guy in the world, he was just being modest.  He has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about hogs and Javi's.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Great discussion, Curtis.  Thanks for the info "from them that's doin' "!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
That was quite a disertation on javalina.  I didn't notice who had posted it at first.  I just started reading.  Then I got to the bottom and saw "7th age..." and thought "Ah-ha..... Makes sense!"  

I haven't made it down there to hunt yet, but it's on my short list of trips I want to make.  I have not found any one with more positive referances regarding javalina knowledge.
Silence is golden.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Curtis, it is great to see you are feeling well enough to post again.  Thanks for the great info on the javelina...God speed in your recovery and have a wonderful holiday season with your family...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Thanks fella's! I appreciate the comments. I'm happy to try and help when I can. The one thing the animals always teach me is when I really start thinking I'm getting smart about their lifestyle they show me just how much I still have to learn. I suppose it's what makes it all worth while. I'm improving daily and intend on a full physical recovery in time. I hope I can chase a few javi's with yall in the new year. See you soon! CK

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Hey Joe,

I agree with all that's been said, and just wanted to re-emphasize one thing, their kill zone is small!!  I wish I had some anatomy pics to post, maybe someone does.  I went on my first javi hunt this fall, with curtis, and lost a javi because I shot it too high at like 7 yards.  I knew in my head how to shoot that thing, but I still messed it up. Just mentally prepare yourself to be patient and shoot real low and tight and you'll be fine.  Have a great hunt!  

CK-glad to here something from you, glad you're doing some better, and thanks again for a great hunt this fall.

Dan
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Man I can't wait!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
These are my all time favorite bow chase critters! And Curtis is the man on javi. He can make it look easy to get a 4 yard shot.

The way they move in a herd (pod, sounder, squeal?) is wonderful. They can all freeze frame in a snap and if you are like me you will be in an awkward position that will get painful as you try to remain frozen with them for two minutes.

They cannot see well but they will see shape if you are skylined and they will pick up the tiniest movement. You can be aggressive on approach up to about 40 yards, then you will be up against a full scale stalking challenge. When you get inside wolf range they respond to the smallest noise like fletching on your bow quiver arrows brushing a twig - don't ask how I know this.

If you are sitting along a corned sendaro and you miss a shot - stay. If you did not hit them and you were still and quiet after you shot, they will be back in about 20 minutes.

The kill zone is about the size of an orange - right above the front leg in the bottom third of the body. Listen to the animal you shot run off, they leave almost no blood for the first 40 yards and often leave none until the fall over - even with a good shot.

I smile just thinking about javilina, hurry up February.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©