3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Razorheads-Any Thoughts on Performance?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Razorheads-Any Thoughts on Performance?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
I don't have any recent experience with them (used them in the 60's and 70s), but I can tell you one thing, a person certainly wouldn't want to take bets that there is a broadhead out there that has taken more game!  Back in the day, it was the easiest broadhead to get your fingers on (sometimes the ONLY one available)and it certainly did its job.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Killed my first archery deer with one back in the late 80's..the bow had wheels (ssshhhh!) but it was old school with no sights, release, dropaway rest, nada...just a flipper.  I also forgot my tab that morning so I had to shoot bare-fingers.  Broadhead took out both lungs and top of heart, little central TX doe ran all of 30 yards and piled up in sight.  I love the Razorheads!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I can get them insane sharp with stones and some water,they fly awesome when mounted properly.

10 yard shot though both lungs and into the dirt from a 70's 50# Grizzly,40 yards and the death roll was heard.Can't tell you how the blood trail was because I didn't need to look for one.  ;)  

I have a spiffy new Silvertip,but I see no need for spiffy new BH's.  :readit:  

>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
All I use.  They are great.  Eventually they will all get shot away, but as long as I can find them, they'll be on all my arras.  That being said, there are LOTS of nice broadheads out there, but I just plain like the Bears.
Silence is golden.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I love the old "greenies" I have taken quite a few whitetails, a couple hogs and a mule deer with them. For me They are super easy to sharpen and hold an edge very well and fly perfect. I know most folks file sharpen them but I prefer to sharpen them on a good stone. I am constantly on the look out for them when I'm out and about, not too hard to find but the price just keeps going up for them in most cases!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I would echo what others have already stated. Every manner and size animal has been taken with a Razorhead.

IMO Fred was just a pure genius....not only did he design the Razorhead but he disigned the machine that BUILT them too!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
whadda ya think

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
Wow! That's a lot of feedback!  I was originally referring to the 'new' Trophy Ridge Razorheads, mainly b/c I need to get my new arrows tipped with a good, sharp out of the box broadhead for the next few weeks of the season.  I bought a pack yesterday cause my buddy at the shop was basically giving them away... they are stupid sharp, and fly OK... I don't think I'd shot over 18yds with them.  That all said, I am going to see if I can find some greenies too on line!!

Thanks gents and good hunting.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
The new Razorheads don't resemble the old Bears.  Completely different geometry.  They should work fine; they're not overly short and fat so penetration shouldn't go down much over the old Bear geometry, but I think their durability is suspect just based on the design.  You don't really need a broadhead to hold up after a few shots through animals (or in the dirt) but it gives you peace of mind if heavy bone is encountered and for the price they should be bomb-proof.  The ones I handled were anything but sharp out of the package... a pretty course grind actually.

I still shoot razorheads my dad was using in the 60's!  THAT is durability!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Jeremy,

Thanks for the input... yeah, I was shocked they shaved outta the package... but they did!  They shoot pretty good, don't think I will continue to use them next year, but I got them for cost and they will get the job done.  I like the Phantom SS with bleeders and am looking for the classic greenies for next season!  I also my just go with a single bevel blade... or the Woodsman ELites, they look pretty nice!!  Anyway, thanks for the input!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
my favorite. I took more animals with the old bear broadheads than all the others combined.  I would love to get a hold of some more.

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Guys from my club have told me that they like the old, carbon steel ones, but do not like the newer stainless steel ones. At least one guy had trouble getting the new ones to fly correctly (and, consistently) - they seemed to plane on him.

Ray

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
The old "greenies" are one of the best BHs ever made. They sharpen well, fly well, hold an edge and are lethal on game. I'm still recycling some Razorheads that I've had since the 1970's. The SS ones are worthless.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Ray,  

Your comments are interesting b/c I think I have the same issue... ugh... I need to go shoot 'em after work today and see how they fly, if the flight is no good, I'll just use my Phantom SS... they fly true and are razor sharp.

Honestly, I wish I could just get my Eclipse SB's to sharpen up... but they are just stubbernly difficult to get shaving sharp...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Which new ones are you talking about.  The ones currently being sold don't resemble the old Razorheads.  The old greenies and even the 145 grain blue stainless introduced in the 80's fly beautifully.  These new things don't look like any old Bear I ever used.  Here is what they are calling a Bear Razorhead now.....not the same by a long shot.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
The old green Bear Razorheads rest on all of my current hunting arrows. Couple those heads with my Howard Hill LB and you have a killing combination. I would not touch the new ones with a stick. As the man said above they don't even look like the original Bear Razorhead.  :thumbsup:

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
The blue Razorheads seem to get some negative reviews, but I have shot them alot and have never had a problem with them. Fly great for me and easy to sharpen.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
I've shot the new ones and they've never planed for me.And that was at wheel bow speeds.I've also shot them from my recurves and had good experience as well.

Most will not touch them here because they're not the old greenies.To each their own I spose.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I still use them....they fly great and are easy to sharpen.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Another fan of the older carbon steel style Bear Razor braodhead.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©