3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why did you choose Trad. Hunting?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why did you choose Trad. Hunting?
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I like the challenge, sometimes it is frustrating,but still enjoyable...

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Thats what I started out with back in the early 70's. shot compound for years but no thrill to it.went back to my recurves and never looked back.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
I went to a Colo Bow hunter event 19 years ago before I started bow hunting. I paid for a 3 year membership that day then a couple of weeks later bought a compound bow.  I hunted with it that year and had a ball.  BUT it was NOT  A BOW, it was an arrow launcher.  Fred Bear did not have one of those things...nor did Howard Hill, or the American Indians.. So I sold it and bought an Asbel Big horn recurve, then progressed to long bows and have never looked back.....Love them  can't get enough of them...  oh  life is good...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Never was much of a "choice" for me.  My grandpa start shooing longbows in the 30's/40's, my dad's shot recuves and longbows for 60 years and I just followed in the family tradition.  Didn't know there was any other way.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Shot when I was young, then the compund came out and I strayed. Got sick of it, and just quit for a while. Then one day I picked up a popular Trad. bowhunting magazine. Hey, what's this, these guys have it going on. This is me I thought. They use the ethics I use, they love simplicity like I do, they just love the journey! I was hooked and will never go back. I don't care if a single arrow I loose ever strikes flesh and bone, I will never go back.
In reallity,I would have to say that it chose me, long ago when my conscience was still being forged, while autimation marched towards it's inevitable climax of materialism, it chose ME, It just took time for my alter self to heed the call.

f r
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I guess I've always liked the idea of doin it like the indians did. I had thought about trying it for a long time and stumbled upon this site and I fell in love with the longbow. Haven't shot a compound since. Oh and its lighter to carry too.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Enjoy the simplicity of it, yet also enjoy the challenges of it. Love seeing that bent stick throw that straight arrow in the spot where your eyes burnt a hole.... pure natural high.
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Started with a brand new Red Wing Hunter 36 years ago. Went to the new 4 wheeled compound. ( fingers.) Won a lot of shoots and killed a lot of game. I really hate to say it but it got just too easy. I never was a trophy hunter. Started hunting with my recurves again. Now, for the last 17 years, that is all I shoot. It is fun again!

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Been shooting archery near 35 years. Have a house and shop full of bows, all kinds. Started with recurves before compounds were around, then moved onto compounds then back to recurves and longbows. I like them all, but prefer the recurves and longbows. Can't really tell ya why. All I know is I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I shoot a stickbow. Makes me happy.  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Makes me feel good!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I had never shot a bow until 4 years ago. I'm 43, so I guess I'm a late starter. I started with the compound because my cousin was sponsored and I got to shoot the best new one for nothing. I was at my father inlaws garage and saw a recurve stuck in the rafters. I asked him about it and he told me to take it home. It was a Darton Executive target recurve. I brought it home, refinished it and started shooting. I was hooked from the first time I MISSED the target. It was a challenge that has just kept growing. I like to build my own stuff and trad definatly lets you do this.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I started with an old pawn shop compound. I shot one arrow with a sight and release, took them off and tossed them, just didn't feel right. Got my first deer with it, a fat 8 point. Next season I had an old wooden riser compound and took two, then between seasons it blew-up during a practice session. My next bow was a Brown Recluse TD Recurve. So I reckon I was evolving towards Trad from the beginning, as if it was meant to be. I enjoy shooting too much to get bored by hitting the bull everytime due to  gadgets.
Last night I watched a video on YouTube of a guy nailing the vitals on a 3d deer, shot after shot, at "90 YARDS"!!! I'm sooooo glad I will never be able to do that with my bows.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
I started out Traditional with a Bear Grizzly in the early 70's.  Then the compound craze....but about three years ago I thought that something was missing...and that's when I got rid of my compound and started shooting traditional again....only one problem, the first time around I think was alot easier than now for me....lots of arrows being flung.
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
It chose me all the way, man am I glad.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »
One time I drew my compound back and the peep flew out! Nice 10pt at 15 yds and I was helpless. For me it simplified my hunting,alot!!!!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Bought a compound, very quickly became proficient at it (who doesn't)? Subsequently broke my collarbone soon thereafter and partly due to that and boredom already with the compound after 6 months, and partly do to living in the big city, didn't shoot for 18 years! Became friends with one of the salesman at my new company who bowhunted. Ordered a new compound. Asked the store owner if I could try one of "those old fashion bows" just for fun. Loved it! I honestly had no idea that there were still a lot of people hunting with traditional equipment, but I knew I was going to!  :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
To paraphrase an old country song, I was 'trad' when 'trad' wasn't cool.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I used to shoot a lot of 3D with a mechanical, and hunted with one as well.
One day, it dawned on me, this isn't fun anymore.
The real challange was gone, and it was more work, than enjoyment.
Now I enjoy my work.  I guess if you enjoy it, it isn't work anymore.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I started probably because its the most fun and challenging way to hunt
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
My Sunday School teacher and his brother got me started. They bowhunted and drag me along with them and showed me the sport as it was back than.
Back in the late 50's it was just called archery hunting thats all we had. Nothing fancy just good old Bear or Pearson bows and wood arrows with Ace heads. No camo except surplus WWII stuff.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©