3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever tangle with Armadillos?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever tangle with Armadillos?
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:15:00 AM »
Hello all,
I was wondering, have any of y'all ever tangled with danged Armodillos? I live here in Alabama and when I was a teenager had never seen one. Went into the army in '72 at the age of 17 and saw plenty in Louisiana at Ft. Polk, La.. Now due to their migrating and I suppose high breeding rate, those little buggers are everywhere, I mean everywhere. You see them constantly on the side of the road dead. Some people's yards, gardens, and fields are chewed up etc..

The Alabama Dept. of Natural Resources and Game and Fish Division have put out articles on how detrimental to the native fauna and species they are, along with wild hogs and Coyotes, more introduced, fastly over-populating species. And from a hunters point of view, hearing that they are contributing to the decline of the Quail, Turkey, and Rabbits here because dillos feed on ground nesting species' young, eggs, etc., it makes yu want to "diminish" their species and in so doing diminish their damage to our stuff! But then again, I have heard conflicting arguments saying that they don't do that, just feed on larvae, ants, ant eggs, yellow jakett nests, etc.. But I have seen the damage they can do to a yard, field, or garden. And besides all that, it is a known fact that they females carry the Leprousy bacteria that humans can get!

They are a nuiscance and a pain in the neck. Besides damage to yards and gardens, etc., when you are hunting, you hear them scratching and coming along. The place I hunted was crawling with them. You get all tensed up thinking it is a rabbit, deer, or what have you. You listen, and around the time you know they are fixing to come into view you begin getting your bow in position, tightening up on the string, getting ready for that pull. All of a sudden a danged Armadillo comes into view. I finally got tired of it last year, or year before last, the last time I hunted, and started shooting them. In the small 175 acre tract of land I was hunting I killed five in a week or so.

And as for their armor, they might ball up and deter the teeth of a predator, but it does not stop an arrow. At least not my bow which is a 60 lb @ 28" draw (I draw like 31"). Most were only a few yards away, one ten feet (they are not that scary until they think you are after them then they will trot off). But two were long shots. I was probably just lucky. Both were like 20-25 yards.

Anyway, of the two long shots, one was running straight away from me and I shot him with one of those points with the four springy arms sticking out (forgot the name). I was hoping to bag a rabbit. The arrow hit the "Dillo" right in the small of the back so to speak as he ran away and he went a few more feet and into his burrow. I followed him another 20 yards to his burrow and when I got there I could barely see the knock deep in that hole. I reached in and tried to pull him out, but he was dead, no struggling or anything, but the arrow finaly pulled out and the ring with the springs and arms had come off the head of my arrow, leaving the head where they mount.

The other one was a challenge: I was sitting on a huge log amongst some hardwoods watching a nice deer trail which crossed the point I was on, with a slew of the Alabama river behind me, the bank just a few yards behind me (oh it was a beautiful, peaceful place!). Where an arm of the slew went past me on either side (I was on like a point) the far bank was lined with growth and bushes right up to close to me. I heard this scratching in the leaves, slowly coming towards me. It sounded just like a deer or rabbit browsing around. I tensed up, got my longbow ready, tensed up on the string, thinking, you big rascal you, I am taking venison home today!.

Well, my heart was in my throat thumping in my ears, I could barely catch my breath I was so excited, just knowing it was that big buck whose tracks I had seen. I began to draw my bow as the sounds told me it was fixing to emerge into view. Then there it was, a huge armadillo. I let off on my bow, pissed off. It took off running when it saw me stepping towards it. It ran off then at around 20-25yds it took a left and I shot my first arrow at that time and that arrow, with a delta broadhead on it, stuck in the ground right behind him as he ran.

After that broadhead I pulled a small game arrow from my quiver (got'em in two compartments). I shot two or three more, again missing him by inches to his rear as he ran.  It kinda looked funny with those missed arrows all in a row, like he was leaving a trail of them. Finally I took my time and held and aimed a bit and the fourth arrow popped him broadside right behind his shoulder, a lucky shot probably, but nonetheless a perfect hit.

He ran off with that arrow too! So I decided not to use those four pronged springy things any more. They might make it harder to lose an arrow, but impeed penatration, at least on a 'Dillo. The two rabbits I have shot I used field or target points. Oh, and when those arrows hit an armadillo, it makes an audible crack sound, or "thack". I kinda felt bad about it in a way though because usually don't kill unless I aim to eat it.

Anyway, I know that was not a game or animal I would want to eat (I know some Mexicans who eat them), but dang that was fun and exciting as far as shooting something on the run goes, the challenge and excitement of it. And it does help the local animals because each one I shot was eaten by something within a day because I saw their remains when I went back.
Later,
Freebooter
Alabama
Of Heroes' music none is sweeter than bowstring's twang and hiss of arrow!-
From poem by DE

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever tangle with Armadillos?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
lots of fun, and it does help out with damage.

But it is darn hard on arrows. Older dillers are especially tough.

Not only that the little suckers are fast.

I wouldn't feel bad, the holes they leave cause deer, cattle, and horses grief when they step in them.  They're a pest and need to be delt with as such
Bob L

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
A topic better suited for Pow Wow, not here.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
The dillo has a rut seasonlike a deer.  It is in the spring.  A friend and I used to hunt them. I want to get rid of the holes in the pasture and them.  Our best was 36 in one week.  I have not seen a dillo at my place in 3 years.  I like it that way too.  I have team roping horses and would really hate to lose one to injery from a dillo hole.
Their shells are not as hard as you would
think.  Real good stumping practice.  :archer:

reddogge, this is the pow wow.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Young Armadillo is pretty good eating.We haven't seen that many in the last few years, I think the coyotes keep the population down around here.I never pass one up.

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
They don't kill quail.  We have had armadillos since at least the 30's (my grandmother use to make armadillo soup during the depression), and they never dropped the quail population.  

I have shot my fair share though.  This last drought has basically taken them all out around our place.  The ground was too hard for them to dig deep to the insects.  There were starving armadillos (their shell sinks in when they are starving) everywhere, and then none.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Good story but I dont think I would want to eat something that carry's the leprousy bacteria.LAL.
>>>------John------>

Offline Freebooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
I heard it is the female that carries the leprousy bacteria. I suppose you would just have to be careful cleaning them. But wonder if you could get the leprousy inside of you from eating them?
FB
Of Heroes' music none is sweeter than bowstring's twang and hiss of arrow!-
From poem by DE

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
I regularly catch them. They're pretty easy to sneak up on and just grab them by the tail. Hold on tight as they will kick hard. No worries about gettng bit though I guess they could scratch you up a bit if you let them.

We gave up trying to eradicate them here and let the kids chase them around. I have eaten some and it was very good, though I haven't cooked one myself. The shell looks like it would make a good armguard.

We been messing with them for years and nobody has had an arm fall off to any diseases, maybe a couple of fingers and toes but no arms. Have fun with them. " Why did the armadillo cross the road? Nobody knows, not one has never made it"
DonD

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I loved the scene of Gene Wensel trying to sneak up on one in their last video.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I've shot a bunch of them, and lost a lot of arrows by getting broken when they try to run in a hole.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Make you up a fishing arrow(solid fiberglass) with a sharp broadhead on it. Put feathers or vanes on it and cut to you length to make it stiffer. Dillo's cannot break it and it will stop them from going into there hole. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
There's a funny video on the Zipper site of a guy going after them while the "Benny Hill" theme song played. Looked like fun, but luckily we are not having that kind of fun here in Jersey, got enough "Riff-Raff" around here already. LOL!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
They are real hard on arrows, and they are real good eating!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
I've only had one experience with an armadillo, and that was with a .41 mag Smith and Wesson.  Armadillo 0
Me-1

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
In Texas they call them:  Speed Bumps

No reason not to eat em--Millions have.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Ok Ok lets see some pics!!!

:bigsmyl:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I thought in texas they called them texas lobster?
>>>------John------>

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Those things drove me nuts at Ray's in Oct. I finally shot one just because I always wanted to. Pretty neat animals. I could have shot a bunch more but I was more interested in hogs.

I did whap one on the head with my longbow though.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
Okay...I know that Don is just waitin' for me to post this!  Not many of these critters in MT, so on my one-day foray through the Florida countryside, I took the first chance I had to dispatch one.  Plenty of booners round those parts too!  The second one, I just took a pic.  Did'nt care to clean one, on account of the leprosy stuff I knew some but not enough about!  But at any rate, I shot one.  Not too tough to sneak up on, either.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©