3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wow, What a Season!  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow, What a Season!
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
This probably isn't what you expected.......yesterday was the last day of our season, and what a season it was....It began on Sept 15th finding me in a stand before daylight, and ended last night with me in a stand as the last rays of the sun disappeared to the west.  In between, I would guess that I hunted at least 50 days of our 90 day season, some times both evening and morning.  I don't have an answer as to why, but in that time I saw a total of two, as in 2, deer, and they were together.  I saw those deer on November 15th, and yet continued to get up at 3:30 in the morning to be on stand on time in the morning, or would stay until the last light knowing that deer were going to show in the fading light. Never happened.....I thought it was me, but friends that I hunt with, (good hunters), were going through the same thing. The weird thing is that I felt that I had to be in the woods whenever I could, and I knew that the next hunt would be the one.  Even today, as I sit here typing this, I am reflecting on the season trying to figure out what happened,and planning on being in the woods this weekend to scout more, and yes, wishing it was September 15th, 2010.  

I guess the gist of this is, no matter how much I hunt, no matter how hard it is,even after a year like this one, I can't wait to do it again.........

David

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wow, What a Season!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I have had a season just like that. But yet just like you I continued to get up and do it again.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
It's the love of the game...  :campfire:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Well said  :thumbsup:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Its all good.  :thumbsup:
>>>------John------>

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Yes My Friend, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!!

Opening Day at 7:30 in the morning I had a little "nubbin buck" with barely legal spikes come in and hang around under 10 yards away for about 20 minutes while he dug through the leaves eating acorns. He presented me with at least 4 differant "dead nuts" shots within that 20 minute time period.

Alas though, It was mine and Lisa's 22nd anniversary,and I had promised her I would be home by noon. I knew if I shot that little buck I would be busy all day taking care of it,so I let him walk..... The rest of the morning I was treated to a small parade of does and fawns,9 in all!!!!!

The rest of the season, I have not seen a single deer!!!!! Now David, I haven't hunted as much as you have,(and I'm not done yet lol)but it boggles my mind how I can hunt for an entire season and only see deer on one day!!!!!  :banghead:  

When it's finaly over and done for me, maybe we could exchange recipies.....  ;)  

Christmas Wishes to you and the family from us!!!!! Take Care My Friend!!!!!

(See ya at the Bunny Hunt!!!!!)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I figured you must be up north, before I even finished  reading your post. Our season here in VT is slight shorter than your, I saw exactly two deer this year, and they were together.
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Glad you had a great season!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
You only saw 2 deer total for the whole 50 days you hunted. Man what happened to your deer herd, was there something that killed a bunch of them.

I was just wondering but i know how you feel. One year on a Canada hunt it was warm and we hunted 10 hrs a day and we werent seeing any decent bucks at all. But every morning i couldnt wait to get up and drink some coffee and get back out there.

Guys its just in our blood and our soul, the need to be in the outdoors is a very powerful force and i hope i never lose that fire.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Fishers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Joevan125 hit the nail on the head- "the need to be in the outdoors" is what all this is about, NOT the desire to kill something. I always tell non-hunters who show some interest in "shooting a deer" that if that were my only desire I would have quit long ago, because I make a kill on such a low percentage of my hunts. I forget where I heard this just the other day, but someone is quoted as having said, "I don't hunt to kill; I kill to have hunted." Amen!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Hi David,
My name is Mudd(Roy) and I too am addict. It is in the blood and to be quite honest I don't plan on looking for a cure.
God bless,Mudd
PS Next year is right around the corner and there's always shed hunting, scouting stump shooting with family/friends or alone. Reading on here, drooling over pictures you're next bow.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, same to you and yours, see you in February my friend.

Eli, sometimes I think only people from the extreme northeast truly understand how hard it is to hunt deer here......

Joe, while our herd has declined in the last couple years due to severe winters, we don't have a lot of deer here anyways.  It is not uncommon at all for people to go weeks without seeing deer, sometimes the whole season.  Normally I average between 20-75 deer sightings from my stands a year, with about 2-5 shot opportunities.  This year was an aberration.....

I see you are from Alabama......a few weeks ago there was a guy in my office that just got transferred here from Alabama, which is where he grew up.  He saw pictures on my wall of deer and mentioned that he was leaving on a trip for a couple days to hunt deer in the Allagash region of Maine.  He told of stories of his successes in Alabama with it's generous bag limts, I cautioned him that he would have difficulties in seeing a deer on his trip.  He laughed.......he was in my office two weeks later saying he didn't see how anyone could hunt deer here, there was no sign anywhere, he and his buddy quit early and came home.....

As tough as it is, I will still be out there whenever I can.........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Dave: Laura and I have had the same kind of season. I did get a button buck in week 2 but I only had one other deer under  my stand. It was a small doe and although I had my doe permit for firearms I let her walk....too few deer and she was a breeder! On the 14th I had four in range but my doe tag was no longer viable. The highlight of the season was that once the guns went away we started to at least  see more deer on our trail cams. The big event was getting my first turkey. But like you, I couldn't keep myself out of the woods. For the amount of deer we were seeing we heard way too many gunshots.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
what Joevan125 said  :thumbsup:

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Man you guys are die hard.. I know we are not comparing apples to apples here, but if I don't see something in 3 sets, I'm doing something different. Becuse sure as heck what ever I am doing isn't working, and I can't change them.
If the deer herd is really that low, I would feel guilty to shoot anything if I did have the chance.
You know what? There are other ways to "Get out doors" than setting in a stand for hours and not seeing anything.
Take a break and go bunny hunting or even stump shooting, but keep an eye out for good deer sign when you do..
Life's too short not to have fun.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
David,

You have the hunter's spirit and attitude!

Have you folks experienced a wicked winter kill or something last year?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
It's the journey, gotta love it.  I did see more deer than the last two years but still no shots that I wanted,   was out as much as possible and it was always interesting.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
That is some dedication to the hunt!

I do get a bit grumpy when I haven't been seeing deer, but I keep going out.  During bow season, if I'm not at work and not out in the woods, I feel kind of guilty - like playing hooky from school as a kid.

I hope the folks posting on the "PA Deer Hunters?????" thread about our current deer population check out this thread (and count their blessings).
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Its good to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't see 5 doe and 4 buck that are not shooters each time I go into the woods. Some areas are good sometimes, sometimes not so good! You either want to go hunting and spend time in the outdoors or You "have to get one"...Its up to you!!Our season is winding down,but I find myself thinking about and getting ready for next year......Maybe I have a problem...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Amen to that Brother I can never wait to do it again.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©