3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wow, What a Season!  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wow, What a Season!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
What some of you don't understand is that hunting here in NH is BIG WOODS hunting most of the time. Very little agriculture here anymore so you must get in the woods, find the feed, hope no one else knows about your spot. It is very tough bowhunting for almost anything.  The one thing that is changing is the growing human population, at least here in the southern part of the state. Deer have become habituated to the suburbs but it is hard to get permission to hunt in those close quarters. You can even get an additional anterless tag for the southern most zone but you will have a hard time finding unposted land. In big woods deer have a lot of places to be and usually don't have to travel far to feed so bedding and feeding areas are often the same place. I am always looking for a far from the road wild apple tree, my favorite place to hunt. But most of those have already been discovered. Dave is right, if you have to kill something other than time NH is not the place to hunt.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Glad you chimed in Bill, I was hoping you would....as far as deer sightings go this was the worst year I have had since I started bowhunting, but as John said, if I'm not in the woods during the season I almost feel guilty.

Ken, I would love to hunt bunnies, but in this part of the state the cottontail is protected and there is no season on them.  I do my share of stumpshooting though......

Please understand, this post wasn't started as a complaint, though I do have some issues with Fish and Game.  It was meant as a reflection of my year, and the fact that as bad as it seems, I still can't wait to get in the woods. Those of you that live and hunt in states that have good deer herds, be thankful and enjoy what you have.  I have hunted in seven states east of the Missippi and can tell you first hand that deer hunting in those states is a completely different animal, and I am envious.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I saw deer all season during archery in October, passed on too many does to count and one 6pt because I knew the one I really wanted was in the woods. Saw him a couple of times, the closest was at about 75 yards, wasn't worried because I knew the rut was coming and he was keeping an eye on the does I was watching. Then things went south on me health wise and I got bupkiss. Wouldn't change what I did though. A really large 8pt was taken in the area I was hunting while I was out of action so the strategy was sound. Just makes me hungrier for next year.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
sometimes we all have to settle for an "A" for effort...which ain't all that bad when you love what you're doing
 :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Well neighbor, I am here in western Vt. All bow season I saw 9 deer, only shot oppurtunity was on one doe which I killed. I hunt my own property and property I grew up on about 10 miles south of here, primarily old apple trees. I normally see a lot more deer but this year we had a tremendous nut crop, makes bowhunting very difficult. Apple years seem to be best for me. Coincidentally i started seeing deer regularly around my apple haunts as soon as the now came and killed one with my muzzloader. A lot of my friends and family here had a hard time because deer seemed to be dispersed because of the nut crop. Maybe the same in NH. I must say, you are a better man than I, I respect your tenacity and dedication, a poor day hunting is better than any day working!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Hey guys,, don't get me wrong, I am not mean mouthing you, I admire your grit.
I understand that I am blessed in having a lot of good area to move around in, seldom with any interruptions from other hunters.
I know too, I have never tried you shoes on, but we all hunt the same deer.
I am dead serious when I say "Do Something different"
If I am hunting an area with good deer population in it, and I hunt three days without seeing anything, the first thing I figure is that they know me better than I know them.
Then it gets to be a game as to figure out what they are doing and when and where.
Pretty sure it was Bob McQuire who said it, or at least I'll give him credit for it.. "Most deer hunters who say they have ten years of experience really have one year of experience repeated ten times"
You got to get out of the box, what do you have to loose,, you're not seeing any deer anyway.
I am also serious in that if the herd is down that bad, (but I will bet it isn't) I'd find something else to throw arrows at.. No bunny hunting,, try stray cats, they kill way to many song birds anyway. I don't know there has to be something to torment.
If you want to chat hunting, drop me a PM.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
EarlE...Next year Laura and I are going to try something different. We are going to start a food plot on our 23 acres. And we are going to have two Double Bull blinds set up. The deer on our property seem to be tree stand savy. In the three years we have had the property I can't tell you how many times I have been busted. It doesn't make sense to me because when I hunt the same deer 1/4 mile away I sometimes have trouble getting them to move along at dark when I need to get out of the stand. The past few winters have not helped, either, as Dave alluded to. All in all the last two years, in particular, have really been bad for deer hunting. Dave is right, fish and Game could do a few things to improve the situation.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I would definitely plant some food plots.  One of the hardest things about hunting small acreages (I live and hunt on one) is many times you only have half of the puzzle.  You either have a feeding or bedding ground.  Sometimes only a travel route, but hardly ever do you have all 3.  Getting deer to keep hanging around your property is your goal and a food plot is one dang good way to go about it.
>>>--------->

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Yup Dave, Similar results down here in MA, last deer I saw was November 12 at dark.   though I must say that I did have the opportunity to 'pass' on a couple of shot opportunities early in the season because something just didn't feel right...distance just a little too far, deer not stopping, being a doe with a fawn, etc.  

so even though I have 7 tags in my pockets from two new england states, I'm still viewing it as a success in that I hunted, quite a bit.   at least early on, seemed to reinforce my self confidence - hunting wise - as I saw at least a deer a week from the MA opener on October 12 until the last deer on November 12....meaning I was in the right spots etc.

I still have 13 days left in MA ans am not giving up! though I'll probably only get out one or two more times.  but I am already looking forward to new hunting endeavors for 2010, like hunting in Rhode Island for the first time.  

good luck to all in 2010!  and happy holidays!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Glad to see you were into them for at least awhile Marc, and good luck with the rest of the season.......pretty cold the next few days.

Ken, never took anything you said as ill spirited. What I am saying is that hunting in the northeast is different, and I personally think a lot more difficult.

I've had three different members of this site here with me in NH at different times, one from Ct, one from Ohio, and one that now lives in South Carolina.  All were amazed at the lack of deer and deer sign they saw.  Heck, two of them saw way more moose than anything else......

I think one of the things to understand here is the dynamics of our seasons and how fish and game manages them.  While archery season runs from Sept 15 to Dec 15, muzzleloader runs for ten days at the beginning of November, followed immediately by a rifle season that last through the first week of December.  In essence, there is a firearms season that runs for thirty plus days in the middle of the rut.  Couple that with doe management that calls for "Anterless Days" dependent upon wildlife managment areas and the southern areas get pounded.  (Those areas have the longest Anterless Days).  New Hampshire's total deer kill with every weapon in 2008 was 10,900.  Compare that to Vermont, our neighbor, which is essetially the same size, which had a kill of 17,000 deer in 2008.  That's a 70% difference!!!!  Any research will show that New Hampshire, followed by Mass with a 2008 kill of 11,300, lead the northeast with the lowest deer kill numbers.  I don't care how you cut it, just by sheer numbers, it is hard to hunt here.  I don't know what the bowhunter success rate is now, but a few years ago it was around 6%.

As far as other animals, we can hunt bear, moose by permit drawing, coyotes and such.  I did hunt bear this fall, that was a three week season that was fun and productive.  I didn't shoot a bear but did have one regularly hitting our bait site.  I hunt turkeys in the spring with my bow and am fairly successful there.

I hunted 17 different stand sites this fall, most from trees, but a couple natural blinds and one from a Double Bull.  I hunted mornings, evenings and mid day.  I rattled pre rut and during the rut. I called by grunts and doe bleats.  I am very careful as to trying to reduce my scent and I hunt the wind religously.  I have entry and exit trails cut to stand sites to reduce noise.  The only thing I didn't do was to use bait or hunt any field edges, only because there aren't many fields aroung here.  That big woods thing again.......

I am all ears as to what to do differently, in fact I appreciate the suggestions........

David

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
my  major problem with food plots (as mentioned above) is especially with the small acreage hunting areas up here, is you are doing a whole lotta work to feed deer others are going to kill anyway.

if its not one scenario, like the 50 acre farm I have exclusive permission to hunt, which is posted, but surrounded by public land....where there just isnt enough area to keep the deer in, they travel to and from the public land.  

or another scenario where, building here is outrageous, even with the economy, and its the only public area left in the vicinity and discover 7 new stands within a 1/4 mile. (one with a couple bushels of apples and acorns piled beneath)  here in Massachusetts, its not uncommon especially during shotgun season to see woods full of orange pushing drives, etc.   it can be mayhem.

I'm not whining.   I just know my only salvation in 2010 is to burn a lot more shoe leather, and knock on a lot more doors to get access to 'better' areas.

(PS...I hunted the exclusive 'Posted Land' last saturday after snow last thursday, adn wouldn't you know it there were boot tracks literally underneath my stand.  I was quite surprised that my stand was still there).
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
In following up with what Marc said is having the land to put food plots in.  NH is different than a lot of states in that if land is not posted you can hunt it.  You don't need verbal or written permission to hunt it, though if the landowner tells you to leave you must. In some of these small parcels that Bill and Marc speak of it is not uncommon to see organized drives take place.

Here is another indicator of the state of our herd.  I work in a police department, and until 2008 it was a common occurence to have deer vehicle collisions, normally numbering in the teens.  In 2008 we had seven, and in 2009 we have had three!!  Now hopefully this winter will not be as severe as the last two and the herd can recover, but even at it's best it has room to improve......

Let me ask this question.......If a state's deer herd is where they want it to be, what percentage of that deer herd should be harvested on a yearly basis to keep it status quo?

David

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Why on earth are they making additional antlerless tags available if deer are so scarce? Is your state legislature and DNR ran by insurance companies?
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
NH is very slow to change anything. It wasn't too long ago we had two zones....Northern and Southern. Then the big paper companies up north clear cut all the deer yards and basically killed deer hunting in the nothern part of the state. Not too long after that they at least realized that different parts of the state needed idiosyncratic regs. and in some southern areas there were too many deer. That was a big step forward in this state just setting up the different zones. Now we need to get the politics out of the picture and really get the state to actually manage the herd. They have done pretty well with bear, turkey and moose but not so well with the deer. Sometimes I wonder if they want to minimize the deer herd just to make it easier to "take care of". They seem to have no problems changing the year to year bear regs. but seem to shy away from anything to do with the deer herd.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I'll just say the hunting in Maine was the same.  High mortality over the last two years, then warm weather all fall.  The two added up to very little deer movement.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Mortality in the last two years has played a part in this Mike, but as Bill said politics have to be removed in management of the herd and the Fish and Game Department.

Here is a small example.....if I buy my archery tag today, I am given the opportunity to buy a second buck only archery tag. The kicker is, I must buy the second tag when I buy my license.....I can't go hunt, shoot a deer, and then get a second buck tag.  It has nothing to do with deer management and everything to do with money.  Now, I'll be honest, I buy the second tag because I try to support our Fish and Game Department, but it would be nice if they managed the deer herd strictly on a biological basis.

I'm still looking for an answer to my question.....if a states deer herd is where they want it to be, what percentage of that herd should be harvested on a yearly basis to keep the herd numbers status quo?

David

Offline ranger42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Enjoying the outdoors is what it's all about!

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Man some of you guys have it rough, but I applaud your effort and determination. I only have my own 11 acres to hunt, and while I don't see deer every time out,I do see deer every day around the area. There are 3 in my front yard as I type this. I  will have a greater appreciation for what I have now. Thank you fellow tradgangers for helping me to see how fortunate I am. I feel blessed. Tom Bateman
Tom

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Hey David... Maybe we can make up for our un-eventful deer season with rabbits in February. See Ya Then!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline TRADNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
It's been the same kind of season for me, but asmany have said just being able to go and enjoying the woods were plaeasure enough.

David

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©