3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Successful Medieval-Style hunt!  (Read 931 times)

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
A Successful Medieval-Style hunt!
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

Those of you who were around a few years ago may recall several posts concerning medieval-style hunting.  Trad Gangers, who were also reenactors, discussed the possibility of conducting period hunts where we would dress up in authentic-style garb and use period hunting equipment and accoutrements.  Well, there were only a handful of us on Trad Gang who seemed interested, so Huntsman Lance and I continued the conversations on our own, and I eventually started a website and discussion forum just for that topic.

Anyway, for a couple years now a few of us have been doing medieval-themed hunts, and despite my best efforts, I’ve had no luck in Michigan so far chasing bunnies, squirrels, and deer with my English longbow or medieval-style crossbow.  However, last weekend I scheduled a hunt at Caryonah Lodge in Tennessee because my wife and I were going to be passing through that area on our way to visit family in South Carolina.

Previously, all of my hunting had been on open land, and I had mixed feelings about the “preserve” thing.  But Caryonah has 2000 acres of rolling hills and hollows, which is bigger than most areas of public land I hunt, so I felt comfortable with the fair chase element.  The boar there are a hybrid of razorbacks and Russian boar which were introduced to the area in 1912.

I arrived at the lodge early on Friday, April 6th decked out in my authentic (mostly hand-sewn), 14th C.-style, medieval garb.  My 60# English longbow, self-nocked arrows (made by Trad Gang’s “Ragi”) with hand-forged broadheads, and all of my accoutrements were also correct in style for the period.  Not everything is 100% authentic yet, but I, like most reenactors, am perpetually improving my “kit” as time and/or money allows.

The other hunters there, all wearing modern camouflage outfits, took quite an interest in me, and a few asked to have their pictures taken with me.  However, I started to get a little concerned because most of them were experienced boar hunters, and they expressed sincere concern when I told them my ideal range with my longbow was 10 yards or less.  “You want to be close enough to hear them breath?” one guy asked.  “No way…not me…I’m sticking with my scoped rifle,” he said.

My guide took two dogs with us and we drove way back into the forest before setting out on foot.  We slowly walked a trail up on a ridge while the dogs searched for a fresh scent.  They would occasionally run off baying, but kept returning.  After an hour or so with no hogs in sight, we ran across some fresh sign at a wallow near a well-used game trail.  My guide told me to set up on the trail while he took the dogs down into the hollow below to try and flush hogs up towards me.  About 20 minutes later I heard the dogs baying below me, but it was much more serious than what I had heard from them earlier.  The sound was distant but kept getting closer and I was ready.

Then a few minutes later I realized the dogs had stopped and the baying kept coming from one location.  I decided to head down through the woods towards the racket, and after a hundred and fifty yards or so I saw my guide waving me over towards him, away from where I heard the baying.  When I got closer to him I could see the boar about 40 yards away, backed up against a large diameter fallen tree trunk, swinging his head from side to side trying to keep the dogs at bay.  We crossed a stream and circled directly behind the boar.  My guide told me I would have to approach from behind then slowly swing to one side and shoot over the log.  I crossed the creek and snuck up within a couple yards, and the boar turned and looked right at me before the dogs got his attention again.  He was a light, smoky-gray color, which I was told later is unusual for the area, most boars being black or a red.   I slowly swung out towards the right, leaned over the log from about two yards away and loosed my arrow.  I was essentially firing from above the animal so I visualized the location of the vitals.  About half of my arrow sank into his back, angled towards the good stuff and he bolted out of the area and out of site with the dogs on his trail.  My guide said I must have clipped the spine as well because the boar was kind of dragging his back legs as he ran.  We took off towards the sound of the dogs.

The dogs had the boar bayed again in the creek about 100 yards away and we could tell he was hurting, which was a new experience for me.  If you shoot a deer, it typically runs off, and after giving it a half hour or so, you track the animal, usually finding it after it’s expired.  But hunting with the dogs we were on the boar again within a few minutes.  My guide told me to go ahead and put my other two arrows into him to end it more quickly, which wasn’t an easy task.  There was some overhanging brush on the sides of the creek.  So, I had to slip into the stream, get down low with my bow parallel to the water to shoot under the brush.  The only shot I had was slightly quartering towards me, which wasn’t ideal, but I made it count.  The shots weren’t perfect but they got the job done, and the boar started sinking lower into the water, bleeding heavily.  Then I was surprised and impressed as my guide got behind him, grabbed onto a sapling, and stepped off the bank with both feet onto the boar’s head, pushing it underneath the water.  The boar was too weak to put up a fight and the guide’s actions just ended it more quickly.

Then came the hard part, dragging the field-dressed boar through the woods, up hill, to the ridge.  My guide had left to go back and get the truck where we left it, and I managed to drag it out by myself.  I’ll admit I was originally hoping for a monster sized-boar, but when it came to dragging I was thankful for “average”.  We did not get the boar weighed before the butcher came, but my guide estimated 140-150 pounds.  I’m curious whether or not you guys agree based on the pictures.

So, that’s the story of my first successful medieval-style hunt, and my first big game kill with a traditional bow period (I had previously only taken a squirrel and a rabbit with my modern longbow).  If any of you are interested in learning more about the medieval-style hunts, or you would like to see more photos  from this hunt, you can check out this link:   Medieval Hunts  

Paul
a.k.a- Geoffrey “Hawken” of Huntingdon

ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Successful Medieval-Style hunt!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Nice boar. Glad you got to make meat after so much effort.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
:notworthy:   awsome !!!   caulk one up for the ways of the ole.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
That is Cool!
  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Congrats, well done!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
How cool is that!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Congrats on the hunt.

Dennis

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Paul,
  Congrats and was wondering if Lance was able to make it.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Very Cool!! I Love the "Medieval Stuff"!! I think I was Born WAAAAAAY too late!!
    Nice Boar!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks Guys.

No Aaron, I didn't coordinate with Lance because this side-trip was an afterthought.  I basically just snuck away for half a day on what was otherwise a vacation to visit family down south.  I do have plans to hunt with Lance later this year though, and maybe someday we can all do a boar hunt in Oklahoma like we discussed a year or so ago.

Paul

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Cool hunt and pics! You gotta smile more than the hog next time! Make it look like ya havin a good time cause we all know you were. Sure would look great to have a whole gang decked out and a row of hogs out front. What would the camo cowboys think then?
hunt it

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Way to go.  Keep me in mind for some medieval hunting. It will be about a year till I step down from my current post in the SCA, but then I intend to devote more time to traditional/medieval archery.  I didn't know you had a forum on another web site.  I have coresponded a bit with Lance on various subjects such as leatherworking.
Pete Darby

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Very cool Hawken    :thumbsup:      :notworthy:  

Bet those rifle hunters had a greater respect for you afterwards    ;)

PS enjoyed your website Paul, lots of neat pictures there.

I'd be more inclined to hunt Indian syle, except moccasins are slippery and loin cloths are cold in November...well that plus I'm not really built for hunting in a loin cloth   :biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
SWEET, Congrats  :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Excellent! How about some more info on your bow and arrows? With pix, of course. Wonder what a
medieval yeoman would think of computers and digital photography?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
That is awesome Paul, I bet you got a great work out along with your hunt  :D
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
congrats  good going  :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
Great story Paul.  I read your website this past fall and found it very interesting.  What an appropriate prey for a medivial hunt.  Too bad you didn't get to use your boar spear.  Guess this makes you an official Huntsman now.  Congrats.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Paul,

I enjoyed your narrative. I bet you didn't expect the details of the day to turn out that way. Taste? How did it taste?
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
I used a 72" long, 60#@27" English Longbow made by Pete Davidson at   Traditional English Longbows  in England.  My 60-65, self-nocked arrows with wrapped fletchings were made by Ragi at   The Broken Axe Arrow Company  .  My hand-forged medieval-style broadheads were purchased online:   Broadheads   In '05 I was using barbed broadheads that were replicas of the type-16 broadhead in the Museum of London, but then I had offers to hunt in states that didn't allow barbed heads, and one state had very specific broadhead dimensions that were acceptable.  So, I bought the online ones, did a little custom grinding on them, and they came in at 300 grains.

Bob, I haven't tried any yet.  I froze it immediately because we were travelling, and I'm researching recipes.  I may grind some into breakfast sausage, and use some for chili, but I need to find soemthing special to do with the loins.  Suggestions anyone?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©