3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: footed shafts  (Read 376 times)

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
footed shafts
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
I am wanting to make some footed shafts. What are the best type and tools and styles to do so?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: footed shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
If we are talking wood to wood; I did a few two foot shafts with Cocobolo and Fir using mostly hand tools.
There's a build along here some place. They come out nice; but man it is a lot of work!
Ted at Raptor does a nice job.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I made a few not to long ago. I have a touch of OCD when it came to being round and strait.  :banghead:  i used the info from the bowyers bible and i asked a lot of people questions they came out good. But it took a hole lotta work i think for specal hunts i will make more. now in lee valey tools catalog there is a arrow makeing tool so you just glue your footing on it then runn throught the tool but it is costly to buy

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I was looking at the tool and blanks in three rivers catalog. I haven't ever shot footed shaft but sure do like the looks of them.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
I made some.  It is a lot of work, but very satisfying.  I used sitka spruce shafts and purple heart wood.  I did them all 2 wing splice, which I think looks great and can be done with simple hand tools.  All you really need is a small thumb plane like you get at ace hardware, and some sand paper.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
They sure look nice.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
My hat goes off to anyone that can make them like I see on this site.......some of these folks do great work.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I have spent alot of time building footed shafts, and let me tell ya you can save yourself alot of time and money by just buying the 3 rivers footing tool and footing blanks. It is by far the most consistent tool for those who don't have the access to more advanced tooling. Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©