3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How young is too young?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How young is too young?
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
For all you Dad's that got your young kids a custom bow built to get them started...how young is too young?  My son just turned two and has an incredible interest in "Daddy's bow" and loves to be around me shooting.  And...no lie, he got a toy bow with the suction darts and can shoot them!  So for you guys that have young kids (<5yrs old) that are shooting...when did you get them a bow?  I can't wait to shoot with my lil'man!!!!  I'm thinking next year would be acceptable?

Thanks!
Cook
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How young is too young?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
when he's interested he's ready... remember to keep the shooting sessions fun and short and veried.  My kids loved balloon popping...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I started my daughter off at the age of 5 shooting balloons. Im thinking about buying her  some type of custom bow because she really gets excited seeing those balloons bust.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
My son started shooting when he was 4.  He is 7 now and I got him a maddog pup from mike for christmas.

My daughter who is 5 now was also shooting when she was 4.

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Mine is almost 3 and I'm thinking I'll be buying him one at Denton Hill next year.
Semper Fidelis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Both of my kids started at 3, but it sounds like he's ready now!  "acceptable" to who?

Do it, you'll love every minute of it!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Talco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
My son is three and he has one of the green fiberglass bows that was given to him by my uncle.  Just as you said with your son he has an incredible interest in shooting a bow for a kid of his age.  I have just been a little hesitant to spend that kind money until I can be sure that it will be a sound investment.  But, the way he has taken to shooting I think it may be getting close to time to get him a little better bow.

Here is a pic of him after he got his medal and trophy from the OSTA shoot.

He was so proud that when he got his trophy all he did was hold it above his head and say I won daddy I won.  I can't tell you how good it made me feel.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
My little guy will be 3 in March.  Dan Toelke built him a custom bow for Christmas last year.  He took an interest to it right away, though his interest changes to the swingset, sandbox, baseball bat, golf club, etc... at the drop of a hat.  I let him shoot as much as he wants, even if it is only one arrow.

All of his shooting thus far has been with his daddy pulling the string and him holding the bow.  I'm thinking this spring he'll be pulling and releasing by himself.  Can't wait to get some pics of him shooting on TG...Mike

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
PERFECT.......

From joe ashton

"when he's interested he's ready..."
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
My son is 2 now but he showed the same interest this past summer.  We got him a small PVC bow with wooden dowel arrows with foam tips that can be found at any craft show.  These bows are great for little kids to shoot and you really dont have to worry about hurting anything or anybody if he gets a little carried away.  It is great fun but dont push it.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
My son is 4 and just started shooting. He loves going to the woods with me. Last week we went out back of the house and stalked to within 20 yards of a small buck and doe, he kept whispering for me to shoot but I really didn't want to cut a deer up that night. I would have been in trouble with momma. He is a little loud in the woods but I love it when he asks if he can go with me. Start them when they show intrest.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
My two boys shoot all the time.  They started at age two.  I know on other posts I mentioned the "under 3 longbow" class that the local bow club started for them in tournments.  They now both have a "real" bow.  My oldest (5yo) shoots a Protogy and my youngest (3yo) is getting a Maddog bow built right now.  

You gotta get them kids doing something besides getting into trouble!! The things they start now will stick with them.  I am not saying they will always shoot a bow, but they will learn hard work, persistance, endurance, and the satisifaction of them all.  My oldest can shoot a soda can most every shot at 10-12 yards.  When he first shot one, you would have thought it was a 200" B&C monster!!  They get a real since of accomplishment.  

Great for their self esteem, not to mention the quality time with Dad.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Now if the Dr. is cleaning them up after birth that's way to young...Give the child at least a day to get thier sea legs  :D  My first little girl was shooting a borrowed bow that belongs to a buddy of mine boy's when they were very young...She was about two and a half years old...I stop shooting around her and let her have all my attention so she won't get hurt and teach her to walk with the points away from her or put them in the quiver right away...If they have a quiver defintly make them use it so they understand at an early age arrows are dangerous...If they like it and can pull the bow then let them start early with adult supervision...God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
I bought my daughter a "Black Rhino" bow when she was five.  They make a nice little straight limb longbow at reasonable price.

Your little guy sounds like he is ready, and I think the lightest of their offerings might work for him.
Molon labe

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Both of my boys started shooting since they were old enough to stand.  I started them both out with a little kit bow I made and then as they grew they graduated to a Bear cub recurve and a Martin prodigy recurve.  Now my 11 year old is shooting a Dryad hunter.

One thing I did for the <6yo stage was to install the No-Glove finger protectors on their string.  It allowed them to shoot more comfortably without the need for a glove or tab.  

One game we love to play is "Hunter's challenge" where we take turns choosing a position to shoot the target from and everyone takes one shot fron that position.  More entertaining than simply lining up at a target and shooting groups.

Plenty of bowyers making some nice "less expensive" kids bows nowadays.  You can also find a good buy in a used kids bow.

For the real little guys, don't spend a lot of money on something they will dig worms with when you are not looking!

Have fun!
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
When my wife gets pregnant I will be tatooing a bow on her belly   :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Started my son with a bow about 2 1/2, and he just loved it. Before that he would stand at the back door watching me shoot. I am getting one from Crimson Mist in the next few days, so I will post pictures of it. With the first bow my son had to call me and tell me that his bow was here. Now I am pretty sure I did not tell him or the wife about it before hand so I am not sure how he figured it out.  the new one is for his 3rd birthday.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
My son started the same way when he was 2, shooting a bow with the suction cup darts.  He just turned 3 this past October and I have bought him a Black Rhino bow for Christmas.  I purchased the lightest they have which is marked 9#@18".  The chart on their website says this same bow would be 5#@15".  They rate this bow for 2-3 years up.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
All three of my kids started around 4 YO and I still have the red little bow they used.My 14 yo last year found girls and he's done for a little while ( He'll be Back),My 8 yo just won a mad dog bow from vermonster13 and he is HOOKED! I am making my little girl6yo a bow as we type and she to is HOOKED!If you are going to buy a custom get it from Maddog IMHO his bows for kids are light and just awesome!and it won't break your wallet.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:  Show the little one where they belong.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©