3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How young is too young?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How young is too young?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
If he's showing an interest I would think he's at least ready to give it a try.  Both of my sons started shooting around the age of 2. I had them start out with one of those all glass kids bows. We've been having a blast since! Here's a pic of them when my youngest was about 3.

Now he's 5 and has shown enough improvement that I'm currently working on this project I found here.  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=035877#000000
My eldest is now 7 and is actually a pretty good shot out to 10-12 yds. He is now shooting an older Bear Bearcub. This is him at age 6.

Personally I wouldn't get them a custom bow until they've earned it. ie. chores done in a timely manner, good grades in school, consistent good manners, and a real personal interest in shooting, not just because pop does it.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Mine started shooting at 4 and got his first custom at age 7.  It was a 21st Century that Milton built for him.  Now he is shooting my bows!

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I made a bow for my sons when they were very young, the older one really shot his alot.  Lizards grasshoppers were in real danger.  My other son shot but was more interested in sports.  

Just recently made one for my grandson, seems to have a little bit of interest.  I think you will enjoy the experience no matter how much interest they have at first.  Boys and bows just seem to go together.

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
My sun got his first when he was five. Found a little fiberglass bear and he loves it. He goes with me to some 3D shoots and gets really excited. I would wait a few more years before I would get him a custom because he's always banging it around on stuff and throwing it down to run and get his arrows. I'm so proud of him on loving the outdoors and getting excited about shooting his bow.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Well my baby boy is 7 months old, and i am a very proud father, me and my wife are right handed and we are both left eye dominant so we have always shot lh bow, i want to know what eye dominance he will be and only time will tell, but i am anxious to know and hopefully in three more years get a bow for him,

I think your kid is is ready and please post a pic
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Well my baby boy is 7 months old, and i am a very proud father, me and my wife are right handed and we are both left eye dominant so we have always shot lh bow, i want to know what eye dominance he will be and only time will tell, but i am anxious to know and hopefully in three more years get a bow for him,

I think your kid is is ready and please post a pic
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old that shoot (the 1 1/2 year old, not quite yet).  Both started when they were about 2 1/2 with a black rhino bow. They both share the same bow.  We keep the shooting sessions short and stop as soon as it's no longer fun. they're usually asking to shoot any time I'm shooting.  We sometimes even get mom outside for a little shooting - doesn't get much better than a trad family outing.
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
My dad started me when I was 5. I started my son at 3, and just started my grandson this past October. He'll be 2 in February! Yeah, that seems young, I had to help him draw his bow at first but now he is able to shoot it by himself. He's shooting a little hickory selfbow made by Jim Taylor, probably about 10#. He shoots about 8-10 arrows then runs off to explore the finer points of his other toys. But he is interested, and wants to shoot every time I do, but.... he does have the attention span of a 2 year old!
   :archer:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
Close shots with a big target, I found that my kids enjoyed just having the arrow stick in the target instead of just bouncing off it. I had a bow similar to the black rhino, I have seen those and they look like a good starter.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 05:30:00 AM »
If they can walk they can shoot with supervision of course .I dont think they should hunt until atleast 10 there attention spand is not long enough in most cases

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
Good stuff guys!  I appreciate the feedback and love the pics!  I think he's ready to step up to something beyond the plastic toy bow...he definately loves it.  If I'm out shooting and he's not with me and carrying my arrows and walking every step with me -- he's one unhappy camper!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
Good stuff guys!  I appreciate the feedback and love the pics!  I think he's ready to step up to something beyond the plastic toy bow...he definately loves it.  If I'm out shooting and he's not with me and carrying my arrows and walking every step with me -- he's one unhappy camper!
I agree, he is and you are ready  :bigsmyl:  for the upgrade  :thumbsup:  
I also started my children out with the fiberglass bows at around 3.
Then upgraded to a great tree by 3 rivers, and just last spring had Mike at Maddog archery make him a custom. My boy is now almost 10.
Quick plug for Mike, his bows, and he himself are terrific.
Have fun with the your son  :archer:
Steve.

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
i just bought my little girl a samick angel. she will be 3 in march, my boys started shooting when they were 3 and they are 6 now and they still shoot 3-5 times a week when it warms up.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Heres mine at 5 and 4

Here they are at there first 3D shoot, ages 5 and 6....hittin what they aimed at  :D

I had a bow in my sons hand before he was 3, daughter too. They each have their own recurve, his a custom I got from a friend on *******, hers is a Damon Howatt from one Vermonster13's giveaways (thanks again)

Offline matthewp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
We bought our son a black rhino bow this year.  He is now 4.  He loves to shoot.  He will shoot about a dozen arrows or so, then he moves on with the next thing to play with.  He loves going in the woods with me.  I shot a turkey in October with him by my side.  It was the best moment ever.  He was so happy.

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
My girlfriend's son will be 3 in Feb.  He's a tough little guy who has had some medical issues and the docs are constantly amazed at how well he is doing and overcoming these issues.

Anyway, he hardly ever sits still and really doesn't even watch those shows they pass off as cartoons.  I had an old red fiberglass bow and took him out this fall.  Mom wasn't too sure how it would go with his attention span or lack there of.  We all had a blast shooting and he even slowed down enough to shoot at the targets.  Mom was amazed. Now all he talks about is shooting bows, fishing and hunting now.

With her permission, I've gotten him a Maddog Pup recurve with the no fingers installed.

Bottom line its never too early to get them started in my opinion.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Whitetail Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Id say hes ready now. Hes show an intrest and if he had a bow of his own to shoot he would be even more into it. Cant wait to see pics of him shooting.
Striker takedown rec. 52#@28
Hummingbird Alphamale rec. 53#@28
Zipper standard rec. 54#@28
Striker Slapstick 56#@28

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
My oldest daughter was shooting on her own at 2, don`t wait get him started!! They actually listen when they are that young...GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Bull

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I think it has all been covered!  Like has been said, if you know your son you will know when he is ready.     :saywhat:  

My son shot some and loved it.  He is 5 now and legos, lincoln logs and mud holes have his attention.  He still likes helping me get my arrows just doesn't have the drive for shooting right now.  

Its been touched on and I think you (I) need to be careful about pushing him to hard.   Don't want to turn him off completely.  I am happy to know he is not veggin' out in front of the tube or computer... he loves being outside and playing or inside building things.    :bigsmyl: )

Remember to share some pictures with us..  love seeing the kids flinging the arrows!      ;)
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
started my grandson at 2 also went turkey huntin at 2 and this year he was 3 and he hooted and made a bird gobble
TEAM HILLBILLY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©