3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad from the start  (Read 1599 times)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Trad from the start
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Was curious out of our gang here...who has been all trad since thier start in archery.

I started out trad but drifted for a bit,now I'm back.  :D
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad from the start
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Always since I was 15 years old. I am now pushing 60.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
vt - in 1957 you were not a traditional archer.  we kinda had bowhunters and target shooters.  toward the mid 60's there was some strain between the sight/peep shooters vs the barebow shooters vs bowhunters.  it was pretty clear even before the compounds that target shooters and bowhunters would be somewhat seperate ways sooner or later.  Then the compounds came along and shortly 3D ruled.  IN the 80's trad bowhunters started clawing out of the closets and here we are today.

I tried out a lot of different compounds but never found one that did the trick of me.  when the compounds came on strong I was hooked on HH longbows and never switched.  

rusty

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I've never loosed the string on a compound. Drawn a couple in a shop out of curiosity but never put an arrow to any.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I'm 57 years old and been recurves and longbows for 40 plus years.I did try a wheel bow once, I think it was a Jennings Model T. It just wasn't any fun for me. If things aren't challenging , I lose interest pretty quick, That's just me though, I have no problem with people who love the wheels.
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Always been a barebow kinda guy... since I was about 10-11 years old.
I'm 55 now.  :eek:

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I started compound then switched to trad. went back now I am starting to get back into trad.. I switched from trad because I didn't have a place to shoot because of where I moved to and need to shoot atleast every other day to shoot very good.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Let's see, I bought my first bow in 1957 (Bear Panda) when I was 10.  Was made with the best modern materials Fred could find.  So I guess that made me more of a modern archer.

Now my bows are made with bamboo, fiberglass, carbon, unbelievable hit tech glues and some animal horn.

I'm not sure what I am???????

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Wanted to try bowhunting so I picked up a recurve three years ago. Haven't shot a compound yet.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Started with a used Bear bow in the early sixties...........sometime in the early 80s someone or something used the "Force" on me and I ended up lured to the "dark side".  But you know what they say...."you never stray too far from your roots".  It certainly feels great to be back in a comfort zone.  I know one thing for sure....I'm certainly in the minority now, especially around where I live.  Doesn't matter much.....it's great to be part of such a close-knit community like this.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Started with a compound (mind you, that compound frame was laminated wood, and it still works!!!), but even then at eight or ten years old always wanted a "longbow".  Finally got into it after fifteen or so years.  Love it now.
Silence is golden.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I'll confess...I started out "real" traditional...at about 5...freshly cut tree limb, string and some cane for arrows.  I eventually progressed to a nice bear recurve in my teens.

Than the dark years....starting in my early 20s i decided i need some training wheels.  That lasted unitl my early 30s when i found the stick and string again.  I fell off the wagon for a few years in my late 30s (not enough time to practice with the kids and job...I could always pick up my compound and punch golf ball size holes out to 50 yards).  I eventually got back to traditional archery in my early 40s.  

Ok I can admit it i am a recovering compound shooter....now i'll never get my "Trad Bowhunter" status!!!

If your wondering...I'm nearing 45 now and God willing...wont have to pick up my training wheels agian.

Michael

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I started when I was about 8yrs old with a Bear Kodiak my Dad bought at a local pawn shop. Really got back into it big about 12 years ago. I'm 39 now and have never shot or have any desire to shoot a wheelie bow !!!
                       James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Started at the age of 5 with a red fiberglass Bear Bow. I am now 39, what an appreciation I have developed for this sport over the years--Certainly consumes most of my free time and $$$  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
60 years old now and been shooting this way since I was a kid.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Since I could walk-- got my 1st when about 4yrs old --it was a dime store kids toy.  SUCKER tiped arrow--which shot thru a hole in the center of the bow.  My younger bro. provided lots of moving shots. --- Iam 63 so I guess you could say 59 yrs- w/ the exception 1 yr. in the early 70's,  I got myself an earlier Bear Compound, turned my back on Cedars, and made me some Fiberglass arrows, from raw shafts sold in the old Herters catalog, and thought man, I got me some bad a$$ equipment. WRONG-BORING-SOUL LESS.  Must must have been a brief bout of insanity---apparently it turned out it was not bone deep.-- though others may differ.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Made my first bow in 1953 out of Mom's lilac bush.  Shot pretty good for a first try 6 year old.  Never did get any credit for ingenuity but DID get a pretty good hide tanning credit :>)
Never have shot a wheeled bow but do instruct wheel shooters.  63 now and hope to be a good shot real soon:>))
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Westy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Don't know if I count but I've been soley trad archery (for 2 months now). Finally took the leap into archery and I'm loving it!
It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Not me.  First bow was an old Browning compound.  Shot it for a season or two - didn't practice much because it wasn't fun.  Traded the thing for an old DH Hunter and have been shooting trad since.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
My first bow was a takedown browning wasp in the mid 90's.  Way too heavy for me, but I loved that old bow.  I ended up giving it to my brother and then it ended up in the garage after we discovered sunbears and zippers.   Recently I found it and stripped it all down, reworked the grip, and am currently refinishing it for some turkey and bowfishing action.  Full circle!
Blaze out your own trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©