3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad from the start  (Read 1600 times)

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad from the start
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Since 1955, solid fiber glass bow for Christmas from Mom and Dad. Don't remember the make. Then I shot an old Bear bow that belonged to a buddy. Then an American Archery Cheeta. When I was 24 or 25 Jack Howard made me a Gamemaster. Also acquired a Tice and Watts Sparten Hunter couple years later. Compounds started showing up around here around '73 or '74 I think. I've never owned one. I went the other way and Had John Schulz make me a longbow summer of '77. Stayed with longbows. Now I shoot longbows and hybrids. I prefer the looks of a 'D' shape longbow.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Since 1974 killed my first deer in 76 with a K-mag.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
I started out with a hardware store special plastic/rubber/fiberglass(?) 'longbow' when I was a kid. Broke it and didn't find my way back until age 17. Friends in Montana helped me see the light. Came home and brought a Bear Montana longbow. 26 now and still going strong although a few times I didn't give my bow the attention she needs.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
When i was younger we used to make our own gear, as many here probably did as well.
Straight branches with strings and fireworksrods with nails tied down.
At about 7-8 i got a shiny, green fiberglassbow (no wheels) with a pink handle, and it was the coolest ever!
Still used the same arrows though  ;)
Then in the early 90s (10-12yrs old) i found other interests, as often happens,
and didnt take up archery until March this year, had 2-3 practices with olympic recurves,
which were the only bows my club had for newbies.
Felt the something was wrong, so i took off the sights and, viola, trad ever since  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Broke my first bow as a kit some kinda recurve don't remember, always have shot recurves and longbows; working on selfbow.

Offline ranger42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Started with a recurve in the mid 70's, then shot compound for awhile. I got tired of all the gadgets and wanted to simplify things. I have sold the compounds and enjoy the longbow.

Offline Whitetail Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Ive shot archery since Ive been 5 but always with a compound and about 6 years ago I bought a recurve and I havent looked back since.
Striker takedown rec. 52#@28
Hummingbird Alphamale rec. 53#@28
Zipper standard rec. 54#@28
Striker Slapstick 56#@28

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Started back in May. My only intention was to shoot traditional.

Started with a recurve and I just picked up a longbow. I'm loving it. Can't put it down.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
started at about 8-10 years old with a garage sale longbow and a single cheap arrow.  as i got older i picked up a compound but never hunted with it - it just didn't feel right.  several years ago i picked up an osage selfbow started hunting and haven't shot the compound since. the allure of hunting with tradional/homemade equipment can't be matched
Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Started with one of those fiber glass bows when i was about 12 years old. I think it pulled about 25 or 30 pounds. The local carp population took a pounding from the neighbors and me. Then in my early 20's i bought a nice used Browning recurve that pulled 46#. I started deer hunting with that bow. It took me about 10 years before i shot my first deer a 6 pointer which was taken with a Hoyt Huntmaster i bought new. My first custom bow was an Assenheimer. I am now 54 and have owned many bows since my younger years. I did shoot a wheelie bow for a year. I missed a deer with it and went back to my recurve. There is no better feeling than carrying a stickbow around in the great outdoors.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Got my first real (lemonwood) longbow when I was six or seven, and have been shooting and hunting sticks ever since, with a brief hiatus into mechanical arrow launchers in the mid-70s.   I'm 63 now.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Started bowhunting in 1966 with a Pearson Colt. I've never strayed........it's who I am. It's what I do.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
1969 is when I got my first "real" bow (Bear Red Bear) and didn't have to shoot the Willow branch with baling twine anymore. Been doing it ever since. Have shot compounds, just don't work for my hunting style.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Browning Wasp was my first bow(I sure miss her), I bought a Hoyt FastFlight compound and shot it for a while---it wasn't for me at all, so trad for me. Forever.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
Started out with a Bear fiberglass bow..took a leave of abscence for awhile but came back to the recurves...Coming 58 in March and still loving it..Mike

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I started with a green fiberglass recurve. Quickly went to a Ben Pearson wooden recurve. Then a couple Bear bows, then it happened, I tried a compound. It was heavy, noisy and cold. Two weeks later I was back to a recurve, been there ever since.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©