3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got myself a Xmas present now I need alittle help w/ILF  (Read 435 times)

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Got myself a Xmas present now I need alittle help w/ILF
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Today I bought a DAS Dalaa riser from the  Trad bow classifed.  I have been wanting a Dalaa or Titian from some time now.  

Now I need to get a set of limbs.  I have no idea as to where to start.  I draw 29" and looking for a wt of around 50lbs. So I am looking for some info on what type and size limbs will work.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got myself a Xmas present now I need alittle help w/ILF
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
ILF limbs are marked for a longer riser, usually 23/25 inches. Since the Dalaa is 17" you will gain 8 pounds on the marked 25" poundage. So 42# ILF limbs would be 50# on the Dalaa at 28" draw. My ILF typically gain about 2#/inch draw. so if you went with 40# you should be at 50# on the dalaa at 29. Hope that makes sense. You will be able to adjust the poundage a couple of pounds to help with tunning.

If you want a smooth drawing bow go with long limbs making a 62" bow, mediums would also work making a 60" bow at your draw length. ILF limbs are easily available in short medium and long, each 2" different in length.

Limbs can be inexpensive($100-200), used or entry level, or VERY expensive(#500-600) for the top end ones.

Pete Wards site has an excellent article describing ILF and setting them up properly to get maximum performance without over stressing the limb.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I would suggest the KAP Windstorm Carbon limbs for $189 or if you can spend more a set of Winex. I think Pete Wards site tells you how to change bushings or PM me.

If you go with Samick target limbs most are 2-4 lbs heavier than marked compared to the Win&Win limbs.They seem to be measured at the max point in the adjustment range.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I'll take a look at Pete's site.  I was told that I will need to change out bushings.  Since this will be my first set of limbs I am looking at spend no more than $200.00.  I saw that Trad Tech has a set of Carbon Limbs in my price range.

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
Trad Tech actually will change the bushings out for you if limbs and bushings are bought from them. You can also make your own bushings and save yourself $20 bucks. If interested in doing it yourself PM me and I'll walk you through it. My favorite limb in the price range you are talking about is the Samick Universal carbons.

Darrell

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Paul: I've been shooting a DAS bow since they came out. 3Rivers sells all the hardware you need to convert ILF to DAS bushings and they have the instructions on how to do it, as well.

As for limbs, most ILF limbs are shorts, mediums or longs. On your riser you will get 58",60" or 62" bow length depending on the limbs you get. If you get a set of ILF limbs they will be weighed for a 66" bow if I am correct. In any event, whatever limb you use, short, long or medium, you will get about 10# more on  the DAS riser so you need to be looking for ILF limbs that are 40-42# on a regular target riser. You could get a set of Hoyt G3 limbs or if you want a set of custom limbs contact Bob Morrison or Border Archery in Scotland. Bob or Sid can make your limbs at the length and finished weight that you want. You could also contact Sky Archery as they are now up and running and they can make you a nice set of limbs as well. Fortunately, the ILF limb "thing" has caught on and the competition for making the limbs is getting better and we have more choices than just two years ago.

Good luck and have fun with the new bow. "High performance" is in your future.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©