3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thunderstick bows  (Read 1067 times)

Re: thunderstick bows
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I have had a 58" T-Mag for a number of years. I have a BW LAG which is the same draw weight and the T-Mag is a lot quicker and quieter. I think if I buy another bow from jim, though, it will probably be a MOAB since I have come to like a little more mass in the riser.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
sorry for the delay in response , the treadway sells for 550 I believe is about the same price as the moab
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Dan Spiece

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Jim builds a great bow!

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
MikeTreadway is a GREAT  guy and builds a beautiful bow.Try it for 2 weeks if not satisfied you get your $$$$$$$$$$ back. SWEET BOWS
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I used to have a 60" Thunderstick Mag and have a 56" Treadway Black Forest.  Both 56#@28."  To really compare apples to apples, the Mag would have to be the same length.  Hard to recommend one over the other--both are excellent shooters (good-pointing, fast and flat), but I still have the Black Forest.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I owned a TS II when they first came out and to this day has been the finest shooting longbow that I have owned. If it were me, I would save a little money and buy the TS III. You still get a very high quality bow for a little less money. I don't know that there is enough difference to pay for the MOAB. JMO

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
I have a 60" and a 62" MOAB, my son shoots a 56" Mag, and my wife a TS III. All are great bows. I would say between the MOAB's, I personally do not notice any distinct difference between them, they are 57#@28,  and 52 @ 27 so I can shoot the same arrows from either. I draw about 27". My sons Mag is a quick shooter for sure. THe TS III is 41# and VERY smooth to shoot. I actually shoot this one the best, when I can pry it away from the Mrs. She also shoots it very well, and has won a couple shoots with it. Regardless of which Thunderstick you go with, you will have a top notch custom bow.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I have had 3 Thunder sticks and all of them were great performers, highly accurate bows.

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
I have a 58" 54@28 Mag. Really like this bow, especially for hunting from tight quarters. Reminds me a little of a sports car - light and quick, but needs a fairly steady hand to get the most out of it. Smooth draw and accurate, couldn't ask for much more in a bow.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I've got a year old 58" Thunderstick mag I wouldn't mind letting go of.  I'm addicted to my 62" MOAB and anything that doesn't shoot the same is just...wrong.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

I bought this bow from Mike just before he started building the new design.  Do yourself a favor and make the trip to Mikes shop and shot his bows for yourself.  Its a great field trip and I think you and your dad would enjoy the trip. Mike will show you the feet of the black bear he killed & his bull elk.  Any time you can actually meet the bowyer and shoot the bows before you buy, you should.  And since Mike is in NC, thats a plus.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I've had 58" Mag's, 60" Mag's, a 60" MOAB, a 62" MOAB and a couple 66" III's.

I've traded or sold all but the 62" MOAB and 66" III after settling in on 3 under. The other Thunderstick's were fine with split finger, but not for 3 under with my draw.

At least for me, the 62" MOAB is a dream shooter and the 66" isn't far behind. With 3 under, the MOAB is dead silent and my III has a tiny thunk.
Both shoot where you look.

After shooting and owning a bunch of bows, I've narrowed my bow herd to Toelke Whip's, Whisperstik Mojo's and Voodoo's and my MOAB and III. Although JD from Whisperstik has a new little gem of a bow coming out that I just shot and ordered, but I'll let him tell you about it. All I can say is, you won't believe what comes in such a small package, even with 3 under and a longer draw, it's pretty incredible. And I have an Owl Bow and a Dryad Kiowa on order.

Of all those, the MOAB shoots equally to the others and that's great company.

If I have any complaint about Thundersticks, it's that the leather/suede material on the grip doesn't wear well and the finishing coat doesn't compare to my Toelke's or Whisperstik's. There's a little glare on the ones I've owned. But that being said, both deer I killed this fall were with my MOAB.
I had JD from Whisperstik refinish my MOAB and put on his premium leather grip and now it's cosmetically as nice as the others.

When it comes to hunting the peak chase period of the rut, I just can't seem to walk out the cabin door without the MOAB in my hand, despite having my super shooting Toelke's and Whisperstik's.

I think for next year, I'm going to put all my bows on a piece of paper and pull a name out of the hat before I go out, otherwise I'll always gravitate to the MOAB. That's how confident I am with that bow.  

Otherwise, it's not fair to the other bows, the other bowyers and frankly, myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©