3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie w/ Questions  (Read 1404 times)

Offline jighed

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie w/ Questions
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Hey guys/gals, I found ya'll a week or two ago and really enjoy the site. I have 2 weeks of experience w/traditional shooting. Been shooting my sons Bear Super Kodiak 45#. I think/know I have the fever now. I killed a mallard decoy today at 15 yrds. 1st shot   :D  (we shoot every evening) Anyway I am ready to buy and need some advice. Thinking about buying a PSE Impala simply because of the price. I know you get what you pay for, but, you also get what you can. Any comment on this purchase is appreciated, buy, no buy, buy used, is it a decent bow etc...
I am a 42 yr old beginner and looking for input.
Good and/or bad

Thank you

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie w/ Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Jighead -- welcome! OK, my advice is up-front biased by a "traditional" loyalty to Ma and Pa bowyers who put all their heart and soul into every boy they make in the garage or backyard workshop, one bow at a time. So I say no to PSE, a huge manufacturer of anything they can sell. I hope and trust that other experienced traditionalists will chirp in here, and suggest that you hold out for a good used affordable small-bowyer bow. For one thing, if you don't do that now, it's likely that once you get deep into trad archery and bowhunting, you'll just want to switch again. I personally feel that Black Widow makes some of the best and most lovely bows on the market today, yet I am selling mine -- frankly the "best" bow I've ever owned -- and plan to use the money to support one of the small-time bowyers, as that, to me, is truly "traditional." Whatever, again, welcome aboard, and you've certainly found the best website, the one with heart, soul, and Courtesy. Have fun.

Offline jighed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Sneakypete, thankyou, I didn't think about like that, "traditional", remember I am new. Good point and thanks for your input.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Sneakypete I feel the same way which is why I bought a Timberhawk Monarch.

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Howdy and welcome from a fellow Texan   :thumbsup:     :goldtooth:  
I would look at the classifieds on here and check out ebay for a bow.

Peanut   :jumper:
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
I think that PSE would do just fine to start with.  Shoot it for a year then decide where you're at.  Good luck  :archer:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Like you I had to start out on a budget. I noticed some bow makers like Black Widow recommended Martin bows for those on budgets. I tried out a Martin DreamCatcher and it shot great. I have used it for a  few years and have killed some nice bucks. I still dream of a "custom" bow but my budget still wont allow it. I love my Martin and I will continue to shoot it while I explore the art of bow building for myself. Maybe next fall I will hunt with my own hand crafted longbow. If not I still have my Martin.

Like Bear and Martin the PSE is not a bad bow for the money and not a bad place to start.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I just recieved an impala for christmas. I believe the AIM t/d hunter, the Aim Impala, the ragim impala, and the pse impala are all the same bow. It shoots good. Little to no hand shock and forgiving. I like the bow but it is my first and have nothing to compare it to. It is comfortable to shoot and I am happy with it. I to had to get on a budget and one day may purchase a custom bow but to satisfy my wallet and my desire to shoot the Impala fit.  PM me if you are butin one online I have found several websites selling them cheap.

Tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline jighed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
"COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf"

ibohuntwhitetails....disregard the pm I sent, just noticed this description on your post.

Offline jighed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
There is a bowyer in Texas David Oakes (Brush Country Bows) Not well known, but builds a fantastic bow at a fair price.  #210-679-6168
Brush Country Bows
13835 Fox Oak
San Antonio, Texas 78253

Good Luck in whatever you decide...

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©