3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel broadheads  (Read 541 times)

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
Single bevel broadheads
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I have heard alot of good things about the single bevel broadhead and picked up some last year BUT how do you get them sharp??????  I ended up filing in a double bevel to get an edge.  :knothead:    How do you sharpen them and are they worth it?  
PS: I have no trouble sharpening a double bevel head.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single bevel broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
I don't know about the broadheads, but one sharpens a scandinavian Puuko knife, or a sailors knife(both single bevel) by laying the WHOLE bevel on the stone(or file, as the case may be). Just pretend that the whole bevel is the edge your working, and DON'T lift it and deviate from this, or you will get to start over.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
There is no magic to any of the better made broadheads.  They all work.  

You just need to find one that fits your needs and that you can get sharp enough, easy enough.  Then go for it.
ChuckC

Offline John Kennedy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
There is a thread in the "how to" category on sharpening Grizzley broadheads,they are single bevel style,it helped me out some.Check it out.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Better yet Buy a KME sharpener and they will be razor sharp in no time.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
I use the system by alaska bowhunting supply and have absolutely no problem with abowyer or grizzlys, or anything for that matter.  And Ed Schlief has been a pleasure to deal with...always available to help out with a quick phone call.  I just raise a burr on the "non sharpened" side, then simply polish off the burr while holding the broadhead as flat as possible to the polishing wheel.  With very little practice I achieved hair popin' sharp.  I wouldn't call myself sharpening challenged, but with this system I am 100% confident my heads are "razor" sharp.  

Travis

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
They must be sharp or they are no more useful than any other dull head.  Put through the ribs and into the lungs of an animal, they will work fine....just as well as any quality two, three or four blade that has history to it.  Put in a bad spot, they will be as useless as any other.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Goerge has it right. I used Tusker SB heads this uear and got a KME sharpener. As they say up here 'It's a no brainuh!".
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
OS, the key to sharpening a single bevel is to make sure the nonbeveled side is flat before you work on the bevel. IMO single bevels are easier to sharpen no matter how hard the steel. Are they any better than double bevels? As long as you put'em where they belong they both do the job.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Regarding single bevels...
"Put in a bad spot, they will be as useless as any other."

If I am not mistaken, there is a whole bunch of good research to prove otherwise. Am I mistaken?
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I'm STRONGLY on George's side with his statement.

Research (Ed Ashby)"suggest" single bevels perform better on bone. There are a whole lot of other kinds of "bad spots" on critters than bone hits.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Yup.   Right on George , Charlie etc.  Although an "Ashby approved" head appears to be able to do things that others might not, they are not magic.  A gut shot is simply a gut shot.  From the ground and certain elevated positions, a shoulder blade shot is typically not inside the chest cavity,  a ham shot is still just a muscle cut.

Get a quality broadhead, make it sharp (find a way to do this easily or you are gonna tend to accept "whatever" for sharpness),  then place it where you are supposed to.  They will all work fine and have for years and years and years and . . .
ChuckC

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
George, Charlie...  :thumbsup:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Ritchie, Dr Ashby's data tends to indicate that single bevels twist going thru substrate.  Actually, that is pretty much a given.  Try it on a potato or nearly anything.    He also states that in bone this twisting tends to cause a split, not just pounding a hole thru it.  If the bone is split and wide open, there is less pinch pressure on the shaft going thru and there is then a tendency for greater penetration.

I don't argue with any of that.  The point being made is that even if it had lasers and scalpels that whirled and a roto-router. . . if it goes thru the guts, it just   well.... went thru the guts.  There is not a whole lot of large vasularization in that area as compared to the heart lung region.

Try to make your equipment suitable and realistic,  but also try to learn the other skills such as WHERE to place that arrow (and why that is a good spot), how to control yourself so that you CAN put the arrow there,  and to sharpen the broadhead, any broadhead, so that when it gets there it cuts everything in its way.

There is a lot in that statement above.  A lot of skills to learn, a lot of control to learn, just a lot.

Many folks today jumped into this bowhunting paradigm and haven't yet learned all of this.
ChuckC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Richie,

I think Ashby's research shows just the opposite of what you wrote. Singles are supposed to twist and break bone. I don't know for sure because I haven't tried them. A hit in the shoulder blade is still bad, no matter what as far as I'm concerned. Even if you penetrate enough to make a kill, the likelihood of a pass-through, and thus a good blood trail, is low. It is also unlikely that you would get both lungs that way, so the trail could be rather long.

Anyone who hunts very long will make a bad shot and fail to recover an animal. It stinks, but it is bound to happen regardless of the design of the broadhead, weight of the bow, phase of the moon, or any other factor one could cite.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Richie,

Single bevels with a tanto head have been shown by Dr. Ashbys research to penetrate on bone hits better and they keep spinning giving an S shaped cut. A single bevel also gives a cleaner cut causing more blood loss. Either way single or double bevel they must be placed in the heart or lungs to give a good, clean, quick kill.
Shoot either one but make sure they are sharp and you are able to place them where they need to be to kill.  :archer:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
"What can a double bevel head do a single can't?
break and twist through bone
What can a single bevel do a double can't?
nothing"

Ah man..I had that completely backwards...
That was terrible.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Yeah Richie, you did have me scratching my head on that one.
DonD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©