3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hog hunt'n  (Read 243 times)

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
hog hunt'n
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I'm finally going to get to go hog hunting for the first time ever this spring and was wondering  if ya'll get give me some tips on spot and stalking them if yuns would please. Any and all help would be very much appreciated. I will be hunting on public land so hunting pressure may be an issue.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hog hunt'n
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I love hog hunting!  stick with the wind. boar make a lot of noise when feeding, don't be afraid to get aggressive when you sight one. They have poor eyesight but pick up movement well.  Keep the arrow low and tight.  Good luck.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
In the early morning and the evening listen for them feeding as you move through the woods. Use your bino's a lot when you are stalking. the wind iseverything, there noses are unbelievable.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Know where the vitals on a hog are, they are not the same as a deer, which gives the impression that hogs are bullet/arrow proof.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
Ask me about CTO.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Where will "yuns" be hunting? (Near a Texas term there) The south is full but that doesn't mean you'll see any. You should know their range and primary location of the area you want to hunt. They make plenty of noise "rooting" but sneaking up can only be done with skill into the wind. They can see better than you think too so move slow. If you can bait w/corn you'll improve your chances much. RC & Apex have pig hunt expertise.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Puffer bottle. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys and for the anatomy of the hog Chester. Straitera, i ain't from texas even though i do have an uncle that lives in Abeline. I'm just a redneck so to speak that lives in a small town. Thanks for all your help and keep it coming please.

Matt

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I LOVE HUNTING HOGS!  i'm a relative newbie to hog hunting and i really like spot 'n' stalk (or sometimes 'listen and stalk').  terry taught me good, he's been my mentor for sure.  

ground hunting is mostly common sense.  stay downwind, stay quiet.  be prepared to get down 'n' dirty - they like swamps and mud 'n' water holes.  pick a spot and know just what spot to pick.  use as much bow weight as ya can easily handle and at least 10gpp arras (i prefer 12gpp) with super sharp broadheads (i like to make a big hole using a woodsman or snuffer).  i also like using efoc for the most penetration, particularly if yer shot placement is even a tad off.  

good luck, enjoy the hunt and the pork roast!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Tuff and mean critters. I love to hunt them. They don't actully hunt you back but they sure can mess you up with those tusks. Seen some pictures of some folks that had a bad day with the hogs, nasty. Good luck
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Play the wind and be aggressive when you find them. Don't move to slowly.

Heavy arrow with SHARP two blade broadheads. Hogs are the toughest animal I've ever bowhunted. Hit them right and its over quick! I would only take close "slam dunk" shots...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
I've hunted hogs a couple of times in Fl with archeryoutfitters.com nice people and lots of wild pigs.  over active baits and not to $$$$
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
I believe Rob meant to say "stay downwind"....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
Get the wind in your face and cover lots of ground until you get into fresh sign.  Stop and listen often.  When close, you can smell them or thier beds.  When moving in on hogs you can move pretty fast until you are within 50 yards or so.  They make a lot of noise, so you can get away with a mistake or two.  Low and forward is the best shot.  I like to hit a broadside pig 3-4" above where the center of the leg meets the brisket.  If you jump a group that are bedded immediately nock an arrow.  The spooked ones will often circle down wind to figure you out, and offer a shot.  Lots of times others will be nearby that didn't jump, so be ready.

I'm only a rank amatuer hog hunter!  I've been fortunate to hunt with some really experienced hoggers though, and Robert (RC) is one of the best.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
Shot placement is everything on pigs,a marginal hit will mean a long hard track and usually a lost pig.Big nasty sharp broad heads and a good tracking dog is a real plus.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I believe Rob meant to say "stay downwind"....
geez, how dumb of me!    :smileystooges:

definitely DOWNWIND!

thanx curt!    :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©